ARENA: All previously expressed concerns addressed

Blowing stuff up is pointless? Since when? How about enforcing the rules? Just imagine: you could have a cynojammed system where the arena takes place and you could have armed forces in capitals that try to enforce the rules…

Imagine the CONTENT you could have?

See, that is exactly the issue with the proposal. The OP asks CCP to ensure this can take place instead of trying to do it himself within the game environment. It is possible to do it himself, but it doesn’t match the OP’s Imagination. Instead of bending Eve to his Imagination as much as he can, he asks CCP to do it. I have a problem with that.

1 Like

ideas forum is this way --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Trash can

1 Like

we’ve passed the point of rehash in this thread; people popping in without reading much, throwing the same-old stuff out there.

Mingja, scroll up for the responses to your ideas. Since I know you’re not going to do that: No, it cant really be done by myself or anyone for that matter. Regardless of how big you make it, it will be met w an equal and neverending swarm of starving gank locusts, and eventually disintegrate. You’re simply talking (again) from yall’s own selfish gankocentric viewpoint.

Bibosikus, the wisest man on this thread. I’m that type of fool who still tries tho. Maybe one day Ill learn to accept ppl for what they are.

Great concepts here but a lot of people going in circles. Important points to move forwards and discuss:

Is a player created and driven ‘sandbox’ enabled arena possible?

• I say, yes, of course. Both in spirit in current content and in potential for a large powerful corp to organize and guard. Possible yes, but it would inevitably devolve into open PvP or one big gank party, a mess. It would not be open to the lower tier players for every reason, mostly ISK, and only be fun for those who already are rich, powerful, protected, and experienced.

What is the point of having a NPC run Arena for ‘fun?’ Benefits, potential downsides?

• It would be accessible to all, regardless of affiliation, bank, or skill level. I don’t see how in any way it would replace or take away from any other PvP interactions. Besides, in this ‘sandbox’ you can make your own choices. You don’t ever have to participate in the parts you don’t like. If you think it could take away from PvP content then all the high sec haulers, brokers, and mission runners also take away from PvP content. Just because someone chooses not to go out into high gank zones doesnt mean they take away from anything. If you are already sour about lack of content then you are not taking the risks necessary to find it and therefore are some kind of carebear who only sits in one place and wishes for freebies to pop in.

• An arena would be great, you could have players who don’t ever PvP get a taste and experienced players show off. It would add layers to the game and take nothing away.

What would an Arena look like? How would it work?

• They could create new system restricted to pods only, where pods cannot be targeted. Go in dock up. There should be a queue system and options for different modes, 1v1, 5v5, whatever. Or a rolling entrance to pre-generated modes that auto begin once teams are full.

• There should be a ranking system and possibly rewards, preferably Arena ONLY rewards like trophies or cosmetic items for use only in the arena, or some other proof of bragging rights.

If it was implemented what would the results be? Clearly an “I think” answer.

• It would become terrible. I think it would add a toxic element to the game and it would either become an empty zone with people crying about it or just a massive waste of time to try and play it because you always get people on your team who cannot play at all and just ruin the session. It would quickly become understood as a huge waste of time on CCP’s part.

:pencil2: Conclusion: If you want to play spacearenagame.exe find a different game. If you want to play Eve, get out there and play. However I think CCP with all its experience and knowledge about space games and virtual ship mechanics and PvP balance could produce a fantastic stand alone space ship combat arena game. Good Luck!

1 Like

“I don’t want to go the extra mile so the opposition to my idea is stupid”

2 Likes

the point of contention is not price, but making sure the arena has it’s own market hub if it’s a structure.

that way any budding industrialist might just pump off a couple frigs and sell them there, like with any non-rookie ship.

transversely if people are in contention with it an choose to crash the market and force people to go elsewhere to buy ships to fly there, that’s EVE.

Thanks for the input, and refreshing to see an objective opinion and reasoning. I obviously agree w most of your initial post, which is why your conclusion seems somewhat non-sequitur.

Firstly, I think a simple arena would be not that difficult to code in. All there needs to be is a ‘deadspace’ just like any other where only the agreed arrangement of ships/combatants enter. That’s it. If they want to fancy it up from there, by all means. It could be one big place or many decentralized (recommended).

Secondly if people start crying, oh well, dont use it. You dont like the ppl on your team? go solo or play w trusted ppl. Here is where a rank system comes in handy. And if it becomes an empty zone, so be it-- nothing changes. I suppose we’d need programmers feedback, but again, very similar things already exist-- just adjust the rules slightly.

Lukett: There could be a market hub near an arena if it was single large structure or thing, and I think that would naturally happen, but it’s not absolutely necessary. I see no issue with anything you propose.
Many decentralized arena’s around already existing hubs could work too. It’s not that critical. Markets would only benefit regardless.

Mingja, whether you comprehend it or not, the logic is sound. Thanks for re-highlighting it. :wink:

I’ve never disputed that a player run Arena would be open to disruption, it wouzld be. I have disputed that this disruption is a valid reason for not trying to establish an Arena yourself. No, your reasoning is not sound, it’s cowardly/lazy.

If you want to do an Arena, go ahead, make one, put in time and effort. The only problem you have with this it would not be what you imagined but slightly different. An Arena doesn’t have to be closed to disruption. You have to secure it against disruption, it’s as simple as that.

1 Like

Id say the poll speaks for the idea. Best to just let it die.

Okay, so very, very few here are toxic. Unless of course you are one of those shrinking violets who thinks disagreement is actual violence.

Agreed. If players managed to set up an arena on their own then fine…

A formal arena won’t help though as it is counter to the ideas of emergence and the “sandbox”.

You don’t really understand the game do you. Asking CCP to change the game for something you favor is antithetical to very nature of the game. If you want an arena…make one. You assume it can’t be done. But maybe that is a viable thing. Maybe people would like to have structured fights…but yes, you’d have to work at preventing those that want to crash the party. But crashing the party is exactly what EVE is about. When there is a big fight “third parties” often crash said fight.

No, you aren’t. You have already given up on the idea without even trying and want CCP to do it for you.

heyyy more of literally the same thing over and over despite being logically ground to dust innumerable times. Chess w pigeons-- a joy as always.

It’s patent this game is in terminal decline. Do what the f yall want.

From arena to eve is dying.

It seems like this thread has run it course.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.