Armarr bad for PVE?

So I was thinking I wanted to return a bit to the faction I started with back in 2007. So I started to train for Amarr ships but looking for fitts and such for doing l3 and then later l4 missions for amarr navy. Well all fits I find is 90% pvp fits and 10% strange fits for I don´t know what.

So is amarr just usless for PVE missions and I should stick to Minmatar or Gallente ?

1 Like

Amarr ships are not as easy to maximize for missions. They are great for casual PVE because you don’t need to haul around ammo. Caldari ships are somewhat more flexible, but suck in a lot of other ways. If you like Amarr and lasers then stick with them.

The main problem is that you end up doing EM/Thermal damage no matter what you do with your ship, and no matter which ship you fly. This is great against Sansha, Blood Raider, and Drones, and particularly bad against Angels. For the mercenaries and all the rest, it is no big deal and you can totally manage it.

3 Likes

Yeah I was thinking that if I stick doing amarr navy missions most of my targets will be aginst sansha and such. But I for the life of me can not find any decent level 3/4 fits I would love to fly maybe Abbaddon/harbinger/prophecy.

1 Like

Just grab the ship, add guns, add an afterburner, then add tank to the low slots. Adjust later once you see how it performs for you.

1 Like

I remember not hating my Armageddon before I moved to other boats, it was close and mid-range deal, don’t recall if I ever tried beams (angel resists):

[Armageddon, t1]

Large I-a Enduring Armor Repairer
Reactive Armor Hardener
Energized Explosive Membrane II
Energized Kinetic Membrane II
C3-A ‘Hivaa Saitsuo’ Ballistic Control System

100MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Large Micro Jump Drive
F-90 Compact Sensor Booster
Large Cap Battery II

‘Arbalest’ Heavy Missile Launcher, Mjolnir Heavy Missile
Heavy Ghoul Compact Energy Nosferatu
Drone Link Augmentor I

Large Anti-Explosive Pump II
Large Anti-Kinetic Pump I
Large Anti-Thermal Pump I

Acolyte I x5
Acolyte I x5
Curator I x5
Infiltrator I x5
Praetor I x5
Salvage Drone I x5

Multifrequency L x5
Radio L x5
Standard L x5
Mobile Tractor Unit x1

2 Likes

I tried using the legion but switched to the zealot.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Zealot

Except for the above limits, I found it to be my favorite for pve. It’s a tough choice on what to fit with only 3 mid’s. I “usually” fit a ab, cap recharger and a web. It did most lvl 4 missions just fine and now it has drones which help with the small close stuff. It has great tank and is more nimble than a bs. But I have all lvl 5 skills for it.

3 Likes

If you go for discoboat, you cap yourself out just from your guns only.So you don’t carry ammo per se, still you need to carry cap boosters :confusedparrot: Also they have big capacitor and small recharge, so large cap batteries are less efficient wrt cap stability, than cap rechargers :parrotmustache:

another thing is that the biggest beams (tachyons) have a huge fitting requirement. Here is the result of fitting tachyons on the abaddon :
Imgur
-28 GJ/s and -470 MW without any other module, for 492 DPS @33+15 km. That’s sand and bad.

here is the same with scorch :
Imgur
477DPs @44+13 km. that’s MUCH better. Also much better tracking. still caps out, but less.

Now if you wantt o save cap, the best lenses are standard : they have the best ratio of damage/GJ, also good range and standard DPS.
They actually allow you to be capstable from the guns only, which is already a feat !
https://imgur.com/k11xOL3

Still scorch are better for range and DPS.
with a cap booster and charges 800, also conflag :
Imgur

Is it a good idea ? not sure. maybe if you find it fun.

2 Likes

Amarr ships are fine for PvE but you will need some solid skills to fly one effectively for lvl 4 missions. You should also stick to Amarr space in high sec if your goal is to use amarr ships as well. Granted, you can still pull missions against rats that arent great for EM/Therm but those wont be as common

As for ships, the Geddon is the most versatile for all areas of space due to it’s drone bonus which is pretty unique for Amarr ships. With that said, if you are going drone BS the Space Potato Domi is far better for that role. If you want to go lazors, Apoc, Navy Apoc then Paladin is the way to go. The Abaddon is brutal to use for PvE, even with maxed out skills. The lack of the usual cap bonus for gun usage makes it difficult to recommend

2 Likes

Keep in mind if you have bad skills, it will make things worse (especially when using the in-game fitting as an e.g.). Pyfa shows that with my skills this “example fit” has 576dps @33+25 km and will run for 3mins 36secs, which still isn’t great obviously, but is sufficient to kill a whole bunch of npcs and is also missing the rest of the fit (dmg mods). What the image also doesn’t show is that T2 Tachyons don’t appear to fit on the Abbadon without extra pwr grid from somewhere (implants, for e.g).

And as with most things, being cap stable isn’t a requirement, it’s a crutch, and you’ll be far better off not fitting for it, but for dmg, as this will enable you to clear the missions faster.

Also, pls consider the Nightmare, it’s part Amarr and is great for missions :slight_smile:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

4 Likes

And don’t forget to move through different empires. My standings got borked from just doing missions in Amarr. It took a year of damage control to fly in gallente space again. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Endgame hisec pve they are incredible. Getting there is rough as others pointed out, but the same is true of all races. I do feel armor tanking is harder to start out, because they are using energy weapons. The Armageddon is especially nice because of that, but then you need missile skills. And Drones. And most of the really fun mission runners are Pirate Faction or Marauders, requiring a ton of training.

The Pally is my 2nd Favorite Marauder right behind the Vargur, and the Armageddon is my favorite Basic battleship.

3 Likes

Take good note of this advice. Having good drone skills can be like having a cruiser with you!

4 Likes

You don’t need to move to a different region, just decline the ‘anti-empire’ missions that are offered, i.e. missions vs min/gal and you shouldn’t have any issues maintaining good enough standings with the other empire factions.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

1 Like

Very true, but it does help to move. You learn about different fits/enemies/loot, etc.

Edit; And it helps make you round out your skills. ecm/eccm, damps, the advantage of a sensor booster, list goes on… I would hope you see my point.

I guess I’m trying to say, have fun with the game. Don’t limit yourself! :smiley:

1 Like

Doing missions effectively means you need to adjust your damage type to NPC. Even projectile ammo will not let you fully focus your damage to one type. So - no gun boat.

Sentry drone Dominix is an entry level of missioning. You fit it so, that all drones except Garde will have around 100 km optimal. After you warp, you drop MTU, than LMJD 100 km from NPC and apply 600 - 800 instant DPS of exact needed type to clean the mess.

Usuall ship to do the job is a Rattlesnake. You get over 50% more DPS, so you clean mission faster. On paper it is about 100 % more DPS cause you have missiles to help you drones, but because you do not have that awesome Dominix drone range bonus and half your DPS comes from cruise missiles (bad application on small / fast targets + missing volleys) your time will not be half of what you get from Dominix.

Some people use marauders, but they display approximately same effectivity as rattlesnake. Bonus for tractor beam is not that much of a benefit after we got MTU.

Some people make a job out the game and use Machariel to blitz very small amount of blitzable missions, which gives you boost of LP / ISK for a short time, but you will not be able to do this as often as you like or you will ruin the standings.

1 Like

Thanks allot every one for the info great to learn more about what I should do or not. Im glad I can use amarr a bit it´s not that I plan to do amarr only just like I feelt going back to the ships I started this game with back in 2007.

I rely don´t care to be super effective I just want to have some fun with the faction ships I started this game out with and because I always use all other 3 factions all the time this feel a bit like a fresh change.

1 Like

If you want brawler go pulse lasers. Ideally T2 guns with scorch / conflagration crystals.

afterburner, tracking computer with tracking speed script, large microjumpdrive to get you away some quickly if need be.

Three heatsinks. Large armour repair. Medium armour repair if you can fit it. Mission-specific armour-hardner or adaptive. Damage control II (on a pve ship!!? - yeah, w/e one does what one wishes.)

Capacitor rig(s), energy weapon collision rig if fittable.

Use a flight of light drones against webbing frigates. Get your drone skills up if they’re not already.

Lasers are fun to fry npc with, but fairly power / cap hungry. You might need to fill open spots / substitute some things for power / cap mods.

Nightmare is a fun ship. It has a nice bonus to afterburner speed so is fast for a BS. Has gun bonus so it’s 4 guns are like 8.

Paladin marauder is also fun to brawl or snipe with. Sure it has a bonus to tractor beams, but imo that is not all that useful. Paladin’s 70% bonus to MJD cooldown time and it’s bastion are it’s best features.

Harbinger is decent, for lvl III, Prophecy also if droneboat is desired.

EDIT: Nightmare shield tanks. Also, managing transversal is pretty important with lasers. It is satesfying to melt things, but of course you gotta hit 'em. Happy zapping!

2 Likes

:sob: No one likes my heavy assault cruisers. :rofl:

Their faster to train into than a bs. They get you from place to place faster. Between the Zealot and the Ishtar, I didn’t bother with a bs again. And I guess the reason I like them best is the fun of flying them. You have to pay attention, manage your ship and fly your drones. I recall the drone that’s getting hit, not all drones till I’m down to 2/3. You have to cycle your power/repair systems, etc.

It just seems to easy in a bs. :wink:

2 Likes

The sheer DPS is what make them good. Also buffer means you have more time react when things go badly

2 Likes

if you have good drone and missile skills run an dual rep Armageddon with RHML’s, you can run ether 5x sentry or heavies, or 2 Gecko’s with a heavy.

with the right fit she’ll handle all lvl4’s and some lvl4 bonus rooms.

Of the Amarr Battleships she’s the only that can mount any weapon system, and has the second best BS drone capacity after the Domi.

The Apoc is good, but as @Xeux said it’s one of the harder ones to get a good balance with. The Paladin is anything great Amarr ship, but requires a bit of skilling into and then like the Apoc you’ll need to decide on how to fit it.

1 Like