Autopilot Route Planner Settings

We are in the Newbro Section of the forums, questions and answers here are supposed to be without expert background.

Of course there are ways to avoid smartbombing, but autopiloting definetely does not.
Anyway, years ago, after one of the first events I paricipated, I thought selling some of the skins and boosters in Jita would be a good idea, but unfortunately my Atron was gone before I’ve been out of warp at the outgate in Rancer; as the Dong of Doom rang, I just arrived on grid, still in warp.
I’m curious if a speed/agility fitted Sunesis will survive that.

You probably don’t need “expert background” to actually read what OP is saying and asking for.

Moving that aside. Especially because this is newbro section. Answers should be proper and made by players that understand game mechanics. Because they can give proper advice instead of “going to LS near jita is death wish. Enjoy your new clone”.

It won’t. It needs tank (or a proper bookmark). Because as you didn’t noticed you get smartbombed when arriving at gate and while still stoping from warp. So speed and agility will change nothing.

sub 2s align will work when you jump to a system and smartbomb camp is already with you on grid. So you can warp out faster than they tackle you and/or deal enough damage.

There is also option to smarbomb mid warp (Ormara Muutaras | Character | zKillboard) but this beyond topic of this discussion. Only something to be aware of.

I just did. Incidentally that shortcut to Jita is dangerous and I’ve actually lost a few ships on that specific route, but that’s not relevant to my question.

In the OP I asked about 3 things, the security penalty, accidentally avoiding a system, and waypoints. The last two were answered, the first one is not.

I get the security penalty means a higher number the less it tries to deviate from a safe route and on the left the slider devolves into shortest route. However, I don’t know what those numbers actually mean. What does 30 mean? It means more deviations than 100 but not quite the shortest. That’s a relative number, I want a cardinal answer. Which is why I made the post in the first place.

@Small_Kitty_Paws Did give a helpful answer of eliminating one obvious implementation, whatever the number is it’s defiantly not the number of jumps. If this was a new feature being introduced, an obvious way to let people customize how much deviation they want to allow is “how many jumps a detour must save to make it worth it” but this clearly isn’t how it works.

You suggest I tried various settings. I actually did just that.

On the 7 common destinations I frequent in high sec, experimenting didn’t give me any clue as to what the number actually did. If on some destinations it changed the route and on others it didn’t, I could get a picture of what the number actually means.

So to recap, I’ve tried:
Asking in corp (no one knows)
In game experimenting (I can’t figure out what the number means when routes keep devolving to shortest route)
Asking here (where some people seem to prefer insulting my friends instead of actually giving an answer… if they were going to do that then at least they should have said "oh your corp is useless, they should have told you “the number is input into formula X to give a route” with formula X being an accurate answer) didn’t give an answer. In fact, someone actually asked the same question in a reply to a dev post which makes me wonder if this is supposed to be a secret like the insurance payouts are (secret to prevent insurance scams?).

Well both bringing up the tangentially related topic of smartbomb gatecamps in the first place and then another person answering on said topic are both better than what some others did since some seemed content just to insult my friends.

On one hand, I don’t want to make yet another post not quite related to the original topic because this is the new people Q&A. If do what at least 3 other people did on this thread and talk about something unrelated, there is the risk some guy is going to just read this post and maybe what I’m replying to, ignore my original post, and make another off topic responce. On the other hand, your reply makes me curious and I’d like you to answer since you read the OP and seem to be making an honest effort to give correct information both to my OP, other people’s OP, and various little tangents here.

I know the mechanics of sub 2 s align, you don’t need to explain that.

You said a fast align ship (doesn’t have to be a Sunesis, but with a base align of 2.93, it’s a good candidate) wouldn’t survive said smartbombs mentioned by Pierre.

Then you said it will work when you jump to a system and the smartbomb camp is already on grid.

So how can smart bombs work when they are on grid and not when they’re not on grid?

When coming into a system, if the camp is on the entry gate, fast align helps avoid the tackle since a tackle needs a lock. If the camp is at the destination gate, I don’t think align matters, you don’t align to the gate just warp a tick after you get within 2 km. If your warp lands 2050 meters away from the gate, you need to spend time just moving to the gate, but a tackle shouldn’t prevent a gate jump.

A large non-officer smartbomb does 313 damage damage, so as long as you have 7900 EHP (give or take), shouldn’t it be easy to just tank a single volley of smartbombs and just go into the gate?

Or were you making the point that the gate cloak keeps you safe when you enter the system, so you can enter system, align in less than 2 s, then jump but when arriving at a gate you get no protection and can be hit before you load grid? And on top of that agility and align time would be bupkis not only while waiting for grid, but also when trying to move 100 meters since the game decided the gate bookmark made 1990 meters from the gate last week was actually 2100 meters from the gate? Were those the points you were trying to make?

When jumping a gate you can spawn anywhere at 12 KM radius around gate. Since smartbombs have quite small range. Unless you are really unlucky and spawn on top of enemy, smartbombs itself aren’t a threat. But gatecamps usualy don’t have only smartbombs so you need to counter insta-locking tackle. That’s why sub 2s align is suggested.

When exiting warp, at any destination. Your ship must slow down, leave warp and then jump or slow boat and jump. You can’t be attacked of grid. But you spend enough time at warp in point that you gonna take at lest few volleys. Warp don’t make you immune. You can’t be targeted, but smartbombs are AOE damage. They don’t need lock. As long as your ship is in range on same server tick as smartbomb going of, you gonna take damage. Even in full warp somewhere in middle of the system.

If I recall correctly, even officer smartbomb has less range than 10 KM. When you warp from gate to gate. You always warp to same spot in space. Gatecamps work by sitting at that spot and catching all incoming traffic. Bouncing off celestial, safe spot etc. or simply having own bookmark, bit of the side of gate or behind it. But still in jump range. Makes you pretty safe from smartbombs.

Most smartbomb ships are battleships that have more than one smartbomb fitted. Not to mention that there can be more than one ship doing gate camp. Expect to take at lest few volleys.

I don’t know if this is reply you expected since it got somehow bit messy and instead of tackling your questions directly I simply tried to explain mechanics. But hopefully it makes it at lest bit more clear. I’m terrible at explaining stuff, especially in foreign language lol

Thanks. Most of what you said made sense.

There seems to be some deviation… or maybe I’m just lagging and I drifted a bit which makes me think there is deviation.

2.5KM sphere around warp in point. You can land anywhere inside it. afik apply to all warping. And it’s reason why you sometimes need to slow boat when docking, jumping etc. But 2.5KM is usually still in smartbomb range

Yeah I know 2.5 km is in smarties in range. I just thought when you said same spot you meant it literally.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.