Away from keyboard indicator

So, they implement a AFK indictor, whats to stop me from setting it to AFK, but still be mining or running a PVE mission, or loading up combat probes to go gank someone?? I can see pirates or CODE taking a huge advantage of it.

At any rate, yā€™all donā€™t think itā€™s a good addition - thatā€™s fine. Weā€™ve all expressed our opinions, and I canā€™t explain the ā€œwhyā€ from my perspective more clearly than ā€œTo tell when someone is afkā€, so Iā€™m going to unsubscribe from this thread.

We donā€™t, which is why the second -1 in my post.

If you donā€™t think other people are allowed their own opinions, then go ā– ā– ā– ā–  yourself. You have a view. Good for you. I have a different one. Itā€™s just as valid.

However, ridiculous analogies will always be ridiculous.

Iā€™ll just leave you with this: Whatā€™s to stop you fromā€¦ not trusting the indicator in such situations?

to tell when someone is afk, is not a good enough reason to add an afk indicatorā€¦ thats what we are trying to tell you. This game is 17 years oldā€¦ its never been needed before, so why now??

1 Like

Ah, I see.
Itā€™s a language issue where you donā€™t actually understand what purpose means.
A car driving is not a purpose. It is simply something a car does.
A general way to describe a cars purpose could be something like transportation of people and cargo.

So, maybe a better way to put it is what job does an afk flag do. I mean yes it tells us they are afk, thatā€™s the definition of what an afk flag is. But what does that achieve. What does telling us that that person set themselves afk actually achieve, that is of significant value.

1 Like

well we scared him offā€¦ Iā€™d like to have actually known what his reasoning was behind this.

1 Like

What would it hurt to let your corp or fleet see if you are afk or not. The akf indicator wouldnā€™t need to be set by the player. Maybe some kind of auto thing.

This is just a poorly disguised AFK cloaky camping complaint thread, isnā€™t it?

The implied reason being: you want this indicator to appear so that you know when a cloaky camper is truly AFK. The moment he comes back to his computer, the indicator disappears to let you know that heā€™s active, so you can dock up in safety.

2 Likes

In a public chat? Obviously no purpose. As you say, the only use would be to bait a gullible player into a trap.

In a private chat? Definitely a purpose. It is an efficient means of informing trusted players that you are AFK and wonā€™t be responding to their messages for a while, and gives anyone organizing a corp activity a quick head count of active vs. inactive players.

Now, is it a huge benefit? Nah. But it seems like something that would require very little effort to add and have minimal consequences, so even a small benefit justifies the addition.

1 Like

Now, that make sense if its AFK notification for Corp/Alliance/Fleet. but not for intel channels, or local etc.

even then, when you have a corp or alliance with over 1,000 members, are you really going to scroll through to see who is AFK and who isnā€™t?

1 Like

Fine with it in corp/alliance/fleet only.

Never local.

1 Like

What if there is nothing to dock to?

But you can write ā€œI am AFKā€ here, it is almost like toggling AFK manually in this proposal.

1 Like

If it is that limited then chat isnā€™t the right place. Corp and fleet info are. I donā€™t see that alliance is needed info and it should be role restricted.

As long as itā€™s set manually, and not automatically based some arbitrary algorithm, Iā€™d be fine with it. It could be equally useful for letting friends know youā€™re AFK or making foes wonder if youā€™re AFK or not.

:smiling_imp:

1 Like

Dumb idea for reasons already posted.

2 Likes

Null bears are soo sneaky! :wink:

1 Like

Nope, AFK monitors are highly invasive code wise, they need to check on all sorts of threads, many of which many be running autonomously.

1 Like

This was an open suggestion, nothing in it was set in stone, meant to catch the eye of the developers, for them to decide what works and what not.
I personally would like to have it in corp/fleet chat windows or even the corp/fleet panel which makes it very private, having it manually activated makes it an option for you to use. But i will not go on on what would work and what not, it wouldnt change anything, they will do what they think is right for them.
Again, they can make simple and symbolic or intrusive and abusable, thats up to them.
I apologize as i wont reply any further, it was meant as a suggestion to them and if i could have done it privately i would have, so not to fuel up any unnecessary debates.