Balancing Hi-Sec Freighter Bump Mechanics

Let’s be clear about this. Bumping a freighter for hours DOES happen. You just have to check @Siegfried_Cohenberg post history to see he admits he and others sometimes do that. So that should be out of the question. The question is not whether it happens. The question is whether it’s a problem that needs fixing…

Every time I think of it in an abstract way, it looks like a broken mechanic to me and I’m inclined to agree with @Mike_Voidstar, who has exposed his point very well and doesn’t deserve many of the derailing and personal attack replies he’s got here… except frankly, expecting a new mod to be introduced in the game just for this…

But when I look at the whole picture and even try to put myself in the place of the pilot being bumped, it isn’t clear to me at all this is a problem that needs fixing…

If I was in a freighter being bumped for hours, I’d just have a good laugh at the bumper. It’s the bumper who has to be there all the time doing his thing. All I’d have to do is watch and laugh at it while I do something else. I’d only be worried if I could be ganked, but then I don’t see why would it matter whether he can hold me in place with bumping alone or has to also throw at me some suicide tacklers in rookie ships.

And what about all those freighters killed or even self-destructed as a result of tricking the freighter pilot into a duel? Should that be considered a problem or just emergent gameplay? Doesn’t look to me like something that CCP should remove from the game by changing the bump mechanics…

So FWIW, I wouldn’t be surprised if CCP eventually makes it possible for the bumpee to warp away after a set amount of time regardless, but wouldn’t be surprised either if they do it in a way that won’t make much of a difference and the current forms of freighter griefing continue being possible with minor adjustments.

2 Likes