Begin integrating more real astrophysical phenomena into Eve-verse

In conversations with fellow players from many other corps, I’ve found near-universal enthusiasm for the suggestion that CCP begin slowly integrating more real-world astrophysical phenomena into our Eve-verse.

Perhaps placing a couple red-supergiant stars, a few white and red dwarfs, perhaps even a couple neutron pulsars or quark stars. Of course, choosing appropriate systems to host these would pose a challenge. Perhaps only newly-added systems would be able to host some phenomena. Eventually CCP might even consider how to place (and then allow navigation through) one or two proto-stellar systems, and how to mediate/portray when pilots approach a black hole (too closely?).

The placement and portrayal of nebulae is satisfying for the most part, if somewhat unrealistic. (Unrealistic because in RL, some nebulae span massive distances, >94 million A.U.) It might be interesting to eventually encounter multi-system nebulae that at least span gate transits.

Beyond the entertainment value for players this suggestion engenders, it also opens multi-tiered benefits for CCP. CCP could further promote its growing support for an educational dimension in its content. Some modeling of these phenomena would already have been completed by real world astrophysicists. So, Eve-verse hosting their data provides a very compelling and intriguing backdrop and promotion of their own research, in turn engendering an even closer relationship between Eve and realworld science. Win-win.

Lastly, some of these phenomena will prove simply breathtaking to visually experience, offering yet another way to market the game. Consider flying through a star that is 20 A.U. wide, or through a still forming stellar system, replete with proto-planetoids and dustclouds swirling around a nearly-ignited-but-quite-yet active star. Perhaps CCP could even make an Eve-wide event for the birth of the new star system!

In short, real-universe astrophysical phenomena do have some compelling advantages to bring to the game, advantages that would further both the public relations and marketing dimensions of CCP’s own business goals, while simultaneously enrichening the gameplay experience of its customers.

2 Likes

I,will add it to my list. Hopefully this is something the art team might find interesting.

4 Likes

Let me know if they want astrophysicist guidance on any technical specs. I’m friends with a couple cosmologists/astrophysicists, and acquainted with more who would gladly assist. Luminosity fluctuations for quark and neutron stars, beam cycle times for pulsars, or even simple radii for red giants, proto-stellar systems, etc. CAN be googled but you’ll get more ‘digestible’ help directly from the people who regularly publish about them. I know they’ll be delighted to assist your rendering - if you choose to tackle this.

1 Like

Good idea. They could start with making planets and moons actually orbiting and not in static place. (I know that makes bookmarks troublesome - but bookmarks within a certain range of obejct could have a “sticky” to nearest obejct)
Another thing: Warping through solid objects - its so lame. Its the number one thing friends comments when I show them Eve. Maybe some sort of “turn point/beacon” at planets moons etc instead. -could be some interesting places for people in low/null. :slight_smile:
And another thing: Why is most stations positioned in a way so undock point is placed so you warp through the station to gates etc. its not logic.

1 Like

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Wormhole_Space scroll down to system effects

Yes, more real-world astrophysical phenomena would make the EVE universe even better!

Aside from a few strange phenomena (such as an ‘upside’ for ships and structures, a maximum speed instead of maximum accelleration for ships, fixed locations for stations, moons and planets instead of moving orbits) I really like the tiny details that make EVE great.

The first time I noticed planets and their rings were turning. The moment I noticed that the strange colourful ‘constellations’ were actually my planned route as shown in the map of the EVE universe, but projected on my current ship. The first time I learned that every region in space actually looked different and that you could see the small Cloud Ring nebula from other regions, but when you travel to the Cloud Ring nebula region itself you are in the middle of the nebula! These details are part of what makes EVE great!

I guess you’re talking about the tiny gas clouds that we can harvest?
Because the bigger nebulae in EVE actually span entire regions. Regions are of a size in the order of 10 LY so that makes these nebulae of the order of a million A.U. at least. You can travel from one point within the nebula to a point on the other side of the nebula and visually your position barely moves inside the nebula at all, so you could assume the nebulae are significantly bigger than that. Obviously it doesn’t move at all because the game has some limitations, but the scale of these nebulae is huge.

See for yourself, the example I gave above of Cloud Ring as shown from a distance looks like: EVE Visible Nebulae | EVE Travel

But when you travel to that region, the nebula encircles all of the stars within. For a quick look at how the region looks without actually flying all the way, you can play around with the environment settings of this nice site: EVE_NT Ship Editor

Any chance you could slip more realistic wormhole skyboxes in there? :stuck_out_tongue:

They haven’t been updated since release in 2009, and it shows.

We have this giant space anus for black holes:

Instead of this beauty:

blackhole-lead

And tbh black holes are not one of the worst offenders. Red giants could just literally have a red giant as the star. The art team could have a field day with wormhole skyboxes. They are suuuuuper outdated.

1 Like

As I promised, I brought this up with the art team - I’ll see if I can bring up other stuff related (assuming I get reelected :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.