Beginner PvE Moa

Hi everyone. I was wondering if someone could help me out with some ideas for a PvE Moa build. I’m looking to do Belt Ratting & running Combat Sites in HighSec and LowSec. I like salvaging the rats I kill. Idk if that’s a wise idea or not. But the salvage really seems to add up. For me at least. Could someone give me some good builds. I have really low skills at the moment. So I’m looking at at T1 variants of modules. However if you have time and don’t mind giving me some ideas for T2 upgrades that would be great. That way I have an idea on what to train my skills to. Thanks, looking forward to seeing your replies!

1 Like

Moa is limited to only thermal and kinetic damage type. In PvE it is important to adjust your damage type to rat biggest weak spot. Next big problem I see with Moa as PvE boat is that tracking of railguns is not so good if your small and quick targets get too close to you.
Ofcause you can rat in Moa, but you will be slow. So I suggest to upgrade to Gila (pirate version of Moa). It rely on drones to do the damage. Untill you get one, you can try to rat in Gnosis. It is the boat, that gives low skill char all benefits straight away and it is not that expensive.
PvE ship means you need active tank Moa, Gila or Gnosis are shield tanked. Moa uses hybrid guns, Gnosis can use them too, but it is a drone boat as Gila. Gila use missiles, Gnosis cna use them too. So go Gnosis, use what you can right now (rail guns), get your medium drones skills and than missile launcher skills. After that get Gila.

1 Like

Okay, I dig it. I like drones. I’ve been training them up. So I’m down for that. I kinda wish I started as a Gallente but I think it takes minimum effort to get caught up with the drone skills. I’ve been training hyrbid turrets too. I’m interested in giving the Gnosis a shot though. Any other ship recommendations for a low skill PvE ratter?

[Gnosis, alpha PvE rails]

Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Fourier Compact Tracking Enhancer
AE-K Compact Drone Damage Amplifier

50MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive
Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 150
F-12 Enduring Tracking Computer, Optimal Range Script
Dread Guristas Thermal Dissipation Field
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 150
Dread Guristas Kinetic Deflection Field

250mm Prototype Gauss Gun, Antimatter Charge M
Drone Link Augmentor I

Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I
Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Federation Navy Hammerhead x5

[Moa, Alpha PvE]

Reactor Control Unit II
Tracking Enhancer II

Dread Guristas Kinetic Deflection Field
Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 150
Dread Guristas Thermal Dissipation Field
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I, Cap Booster 200

Medium Ancillary Current Router II

Federation Navy Hobgoblin x3

1 Like

How much ISK do you want to spend?

The Gila requires comparable low skills to get in and fly decently effective - but the hull is currently at around 235 million. Not exactly cheap.

Cheaper and also effective for a new pilot can be the Gnosis, because the fitting can be adjusted to your skills.

Since you mentioned you are training into Drones and Gallente, here is a very basic Vexor Armor fitting you could start with:

Armor Vexor

[Vexor, Easy Skills]
IFFA Compact Damage Control
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Medium ‘Accommodation’ Vestment Reconstructer I

Large Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
Drone Navigation Computer I
Denny Enduring Omnidirectional Tracking Link

Dual 150mm Railgun I
Dual 150mm Railgun I
Salvager I
Salvager I

Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I
Medium Anti-Kinetic Pump I
Medium Anti-Explosive Pump I

Hobgoblin I x5
Valkyrie I x5
Hammerhead I x5

Iridium Charge M x1000
Tracking Speed Script x1
Optimal Range Script x1
Antimatter Charge M x2000
Iron Charge M x1000

P.S.: There are a ton of viable ways to fit a ship.

1 Like

L2 ratting with Gallente skills?
The Vexor and later Vexor Navy Issue will be your friends :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the Moa - it’s got its weaknesses, but is a Caldari ship designed to be flown in the Caldari style: At Range. I’ve used one with railguns as a mission ship for a while and the major challenge is dealing with the small stuff - frigates mainly. As has been noted, railguns track badly, so either you’ll need to slow them down with a webifier or two or use drones to kill them. Or both. It’ll happily kill the targets you are going for.
BUT
Given you want to salvage, then you are going to need either a salvager in the high slots - and the Moa is five highs and five turrets - don’t even dream of just swapping a gun for a turret; you need the firepower. So no salvager. And carrying salvage drones will limit your drone options - and you need those for efficiently dealing with the small NPC ships. You can cobble something together, but it’ll have compromises.

Alternatives: and I’m going to avoid the Expensive options and the more common things people will mention.
An Arbitrator (drones with highs for salvagers)
A Rapid Light Missile Caracal (bit short on drone space and no utility highs, but can kill small stuff)
A Rupture (you are going to need to train projectile weapons for this though - has a usable spare high slot)
A Dragoon is a Destroyer option. Drones, missiles and two salvagers. Cheaper than a cruiser.
Use a ship to do the killing, bookmark the locations and come back in a dedicated salvage ship - a Coercer with tractors and salvagers is a good cleaner - though most of the turret destroyers can perform the same role.

There is no “right” answer - if you are going into lo-sec space then what is your risk/loss appetite? You are going over time to train most of the weapon systems and skills - drones are always useful, turrets and missiles likewise. It’s down to personal preference and what you like to fly and how you like to fly it - I prefer smaller faster ships, that’s “right for me”.

1 Like

I’ve been using an Algos. If you’re interested I can mail you that fit when I get home

2 Likes

moa with rails should be fine for low level content. as long as you keep range and/or manage transversal you will pretty much volley most low level rats you find in highsec sites. in lowsec I think it will probably struggle with battleship spawns though, even with a full t2 max skill fit the damage is pretty low for that. A blaster fit might work better for lowsec belt ratting.

as far as upgrades go pretty much keep the same fit just upgrade to t2 versions of the items. Depending on your fitting skills you might be able to change the fitting mods to extra tank or range rigs. Also hybrid locus rigs are nice, they are pretty cheap and give a nice optimal bonus, so if content starts to feel too easy can drop some tank and add range

Gnosis with rails is also a good option to look at, should get you some extra bonuses and some extra slots. the extra drone bay with drone bonus is super nice too.

[Moa, alpha]
Power Diagnostic System II

10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Large F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Adaptive Invulnerability Field I
Optical Compact Tracking Computer, Optimal Range Script
Optical Compact Tracking Computer, Optimal Range Script

250mm Prototype Gauss Gun, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M

Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Caldari Navy Hornet x3

2 Likes

I want to work my way up. I’m going for the Vexor first. I’ve decided against the Moa. I watched some videos and read some forum posts about it, and I don’t think it’s my style, I liked the missiles at first cause that’s what I started with, but as I played with drones I’m really starting to like them more. I want to have a goal to work towards. It makes it a lot easier when I feel like I have something to accomplish. You know? So I think I’m gonna for Vexor first for sure. Then maybe get a Gnosis for some variety, if I have the extra cash. Then work towards the Gila or Vexor Navy while I train the skills and make the cash. Right now though, I’m stuck with the Algos. Which is cool. But for some reason I think it’s an ugly ship. But whatever. It serves it’s purpose. Can’t wait to get that sexy Vexor though.

2 Likes

Man, how can you not love the look of the Algos?! :scream:
It looks like a steampunk cross-over of captain Nemos submarine and a catamaran zeppelin. The first ship I would 3D print if I had the opportunity… :heart:

Well, not much use to argue about personal taste, I guess. :wink:

Back to topic.
If you plan to dig deeper into the drone topic, you might find this information useful:

And one more thought: If you plan to do belt ratting with a drone boat in lowsec, and you need to run from PvP, then you may need to leave your drones behind in order to safe your ship. So maybe don’t bring the expensive drones right away.

Good luck. o7

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.