There was a thread (that quickly turned very toxic) over in General Discussion, that I think has the kernel of a decent idea. The OP wanted to see wrecks be auto-abandoned sometime before being destroyed. Some sort of timer use was involved.
While I’m not very keen on taking away a pilot’s choice to abandon a wreck or not, I do see a case for assisting the pilot in carrying out the decision once the decision has been made.
In this vein, I would propose that there be a toggle that would allow a pilot to choose to have wrecks automatically be abandoned.
Perhaps a sliding timer could also be involved - somewhere between immediately and an hour?
To be clear, I’m not suggesting that the life of wrecks be extended.
I see this feature as just a helpful QOL tool for someone who makes a lot of wrecks and would rather leave them for others.
- The key reason - yellow wrecks cannot be tractored.
- Secondary reason - you know the most likely unfleeted pilot to recover the wrecks, and would rather they didn’t go suspect (like using an alt or corp-mate to clean up).
- Tertiary reason - it just saves a step.
There are some drawbacks and risks with auto-blueing, but I find these well worth it the convenience.
- You didn’t really want to blue THAT wreck. Oh well loot’s gone and you’ll get popped by CONCORD trying to get it back.
- Forget to turn it off in a fight… someone could just move your warp-in points. (stretch, but it’s there)
I think that an auto-blueing toggle could be a decent Quality of Life tool to help pilots of all ilks, while keeping the abandonment choice in the hands of individual pilots.