Buy orders should not execute for more than market price

Trust me, again, I’ve fallen for the same mistake, lost billions in the matter of 2 minutes. But this is how the game works. And to be honest, I like the fact that it works like that.

Unless it has changed recently, there is a notification that you’ve submitted an order outside the reasonable range. Is this not enough or was it removed?

2 Likes

If anyone who has played EVE for more than… idk… a few hours probably… tries to tell you they have never made a mistake - be that buying something way over the normal price or selling it for 10% of the ‘value’ due to not putting in the last ‘0’ or whatever else - they are a fkn liar. The only difference here is this fool is crying and raging about it.

Also:

It is enough and no it hasn’t been removed. However, if people want to just “do not ask me again” then they choose to take that risk.

EDIT: Spelling

If a person posting a sell order makes a mistake the same happens to them.
It works both ways, it’s perfectly fair. And why shouldn’t the sellers get extra money if you are prepared to pay it. Why should they be stuck at the lowest price they are prepared to sell for if you actually are prepared to offer more.

And since the game can’t read your mind as to your intent, why should it not work the way it does.

I get it’s not what you want, but it’s not stupid, it makes perfect sense. A sell order is the lowest the seller will go at. A buy order is the highest the buyer will go.

3 Likes

I don’t play the stock market in real life but do the stock market trading systems work this way?

Anyway, back to the real conversation.

**Please feel free to not post if you are going to insult, claim “crying”, etc. **

In fact, don’t even post if you disagree. I just want to hear from people who want this change. Thanks.

Issue: While placing a buy order (or especially modifying an order) for a 11 mil item, if the user puts 100 mil, it buys the cheapest item on the market for 100 mil even though it’s listed for 11 mil.

Suggested Change: Automatically buy the cheapest items at the rate they are listed for on the market instead of overpaying.

Why: I modify orders often, because everyone competes for the .01 isk (soon to be 1000 isk). It’s bound to happen eventually. It doesn’t make sense that a 11 mil sell order is filled for 100 mil. It’s a stupid hastle, so I have to spend extra time ensuring it’s flawless.

If you want the stuff immediately you need to choose immediate from the time choices. Otherwise you are creating a buy order, not a buy it now order.

Yes.

It goes like this:

“I made a killing today” “Nice one, how?”
“some idiot put up a bunch of stock for 5% of current value so I snatched it up and spun it around for the current price and multiplied my investment by a factor of 20 in less than 5 minutes” “sweet!”

“I only want people to agree with me cos I support living in a thought bubble”

I don’t.

1 Like

Geezes. I can’t believe what a miserable life you live FairyTail. You spend your life on Eve forums trolling people. How entertaining.

I’m out. I’m done. Good luck miserable wretch.

It is.

Don’t need luck when I have so many like you to entertain me.

Also, it’s “Mr Happy Wretch”.

The reason it does not do this is for margin trading scams.

You did not answer the question. If a buyer puts in an order to be filled (I think that is the wording) does the system buy the first available stock at the price in the order, or does it try to fill it from the bottom up?

The buyer will contact / have an account with a broker’s firm and specify: number of shares required, max buy price. If the broker can buy cheaper they may do but not always - the order is (in almost all cases for general brokerage) simply “as many shares in xxxxxx up to a maximum of qqqqq shares in zzzzzz period of time at a maximum buy price of yyyyyy”, No minimum buy is present as investment is made on the assumption of growth in price.

Pretty sure if I decide to go to my online brokerage and place a ‘Buy’ order for 10 shares of “Widget Inc.” stock for $10,000,000 per share and the stock is currently trading at $10 per share, then my ‘Buy’ order will fill all 10 shares for $10 per share (the current market price). So I pay $100 in total versus $100,000,000 (even if I was stupid when placing the order).

Yes, but you do not do that. You get the broker to buy a number of something UP TO a max price. That is “buying from sell orders” as opposed to “setting a buy order”.

If you set a “stock buy order” you will be buying “xxxx number at yyyy price” regardless of current values. Ofc people will buy cheaper if they can to then resell to you at a profit.

The buy order sets the ceiling price. Not the final transaction price.

Wrong. The “buy order” sets the price - the “buy from sell orders” sets the ceiling.

1 Like

We are paying broker fees on the Eve market… shouldn’t the broker take care of this for us, so we don’t get fleeced?

So apparently there is a disconnect between the sell orders and the buy orders in Eve. In real life you ALWAYS buy from a sell order.