Why did a player get charged more than price?

I noticed that items I put on sale for 1+ million but the market sale shows the player paying 9+ million a piece, why?

Because the buyer can’t buy on a specific order, the money always goes to the top order, which usually is the lowest price. So if the buyer messed up sorting orders and for example clicked an order to buy on which has 9M in price, they still will buy your item (on top) but for the higher price.

Ok, so I will refund the isk cause that is a cheap way the market works, I don’t want to scam others.

1 Like

Why would you be bothered by others mistakes?

It’s not cheap. It’s just how orders are matched efficiently.

The person selling for the lowest price is matched to the person willing to pay the highest price. If the person buying is offering enough to complete the sale from the seller, then they pay their offer price to the seller and the buyer gets the item. (The buyer sets the price, the seller sets a minimum the price has to be at or above to match to his sell order.) This process continues matching the highest offer to the lowest price until the market can’t match a sell order with a buy order. This keeps things simple and tidy on the back end.

Refunding the money is, of course, your prerogative, but there’s no scam here.

It’s basically (and also I think depicted as it) an “immediate buy order” and it works like stock exchanges work in RL. The confusing thing is, that the interface suggests otherwise. There is a warning if a fat fingering would create a totally unreasonable offer, but only on magnitudes and it’s not reliable. I once lost a couple B on fat fingering a wrong number, and didn’t get the warning … so triple check what you type, and keep your active wallet small.

1 Like

It is completely stupid. Nobody seems to care enough to fix it.

If i put a $5k order for a single share of microsoft, does it fill at $5k or the lowest available market price? It’s the reason why you see random sell orders for a single shuttle at 1 bill and then the normal orders at market price. They’re fishing for people who don’t know how terrible market mechanics work.

1 Like

The answer to this question is ‘it depends’. Do not try this on a real exchange and expect it to have safeguards in place to protect you from yourself. If you offer it, do not be surprised if someone gets it.

You are a good person.

I remember selling 20 RFMSEs for 1438000 isk instead of 14380000 isk. 1 mil instead of 14. I lost almost 1/10 of my net worth in a single second.

Why didn’t it just buy from the expensive listing if he bought the more expensive order?

You see 5 items for sale. One of them 1 million, three of them are 4 million, one item is sold for 9 million.

You decide to ‘buy 5’ for 9 million a piece. You now pay 9 million to each of the owners, including the people who were asking only 1 million or 4 million.

Yes, you paid a bit more money, but that’s the price you choose to pay for convenience. You could also have chosen to not buy in bulk of 5, but buy the items one-by-one. This takes time, but saves money.

Keep the extra ISK, they paid you extra for convenience.

1 Like

This matching is used by CCP fiat for efficiency. If you check the high and low extremes and keep doing that you know you’re done as soon as you fail to match your first order and you can turn your CPU cycles to other ends.

This also has two other effects that one may or may not think is fair or that may or may not have factored into their choice of algorithm: 1) It gives the person paying the most priority when distributing limited stock and 2) It gives the person selling for the lowest price priority when selling to limited demand. Again, without consuming a lot of CPU cycles to make those determinations.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.