Caldari Navy Invuln vs three other choices that seem to make more sense

1 Like

The other likely aspect to this is pre resist change some of these modules were balanced differently and people may not have caught up to the updates yet, being very recent.

Interesting thread apart from the pointless insultsā€¦
I have always wondered about this ever since I started playing eve and dicovered station trading. Why would someone pay 20% for this thing an NPC is selling 3 jumps away? Why is this hull double the cost of other comparable hullsā€¦ All that stuff.

My conclusion:
People have more isk than senseā€¦
I think people just donā€™t have time to compare every module all of the time if they are just making a random welp fit and are not strapped for isk. They will click on that fit the corp guy sent them and buy allā€¦ A tight fisted scrub like will weight up if a 0.5 % difference in performance is worth 200 mil and say hell no. Gime that T1 meta thing so I can undock and go pew.

Having done a lot of trading I found this time and time againā€¦
Consider that part of the sales are simply, asset trading, and never go on a ship. Or they could just be carted off to some shithole in the middle of nowhere and sold at a 50% mark up and people with more isk than sense would still buy it even if its inferior.

In a lot of cases its bit of a minefield with modules. A lot of the meta stuff is on par or in some cases superior to T2 and some of the faction stuff.

Skill requirements is also a factor for some. Againā€¦ unless you check thoroughly and compare every module if somebody in your corp/help channel gives you a fit. Ppl are just going to click buy all and lemmingā€¦

Bear in mind at the time a particular fit was made module x could have cost 10% of the current value because market fuckery and people capitalising on valume sales and amrket manipulation. People leming to their death on daily basisā€¦ it goes to reason people also leming their wallets to losses all the time.

I dont think things are as bad now. I think Thee anomalies used to be a lot more common. The market nerfs have curbed some of the market PVP and fuckery. Basicaly I cant just buy up a market and put it back on at 100% mark up in one stackā€¦

Then you hear stories how some dude had a Barhghest BPO he haxored/exploited or something and cornered the market which explains how he was selling severly below cost and curb stomped the competition.

To put it into perspective I think i made my first couple 100 million selling exotic dancers in jita at 10 mil a popā€¦

Not really.

I have no degree in economics, but I do have common sense. I donā€™t know the details of the invulnerability mods, but letā€™s take the following hypothetical example:

Two mods, A and B, are identical in stats. Mod A is easily farmed. Mod B is bought with a special currency C. Currency C can be used to buy other items as well and is farmed to buy an item D to sell on the market, because item D is the ā€˜most efficientā€™ way to turn currency C into ISK. This ratio of ISK for currency C to ISK is much better for item D than it is for item B, so a player would be crazy to waste C to buy B.

In this scenario we have an easily farmed mod A and an equally powerful mod B that nobody right in their mind would buy because itā€™s a waste of currency C.

Not sure about the situation for the Caldari Navy invulns and other invulnerability mods, but I expect something like the scenario above is the case; itā€™s simply not efficient to turn LP into this module.

Saying that the price of the two modules should move towards eachother is naive, as the price of the two equally powerful items isnā€™t always linked. Sure, when the price of mod A goes up until it becomes worth it to spend C on B instead of D, then the price of B will move up together with A. As long as mod A is cheaper than B and itā€™s not worth it to buy B with C, B simply will not follow, and neither will the price of A be influenced by B.

The responses that I agree with so far in this thread, is that itā€™s a VIDEO GAME, unknown behavior =/= stupid, and that not everyone makes rational real world decisions in a video game.

In addition to some of the above reasons in previous posts, Iā€™d also add Role Playing is a factor to purchase certain modules. Even though I donā€™t really RP, I will only put comparable Fed Navy mods on my Gallente vessels, and comparable Serpentis mods on my Serpentis ones, even if theyā€™re more expensive option, causeā€¦ reasonsā€¦ And if Iā€™m doing that much, Iā€™m sure there are full on RP Caldari Pilots going all out Caldari fits, regardless of costs.

And there could be other reasonsā€¦ Point is, real world economics does not always apply to a game even such as EVE.

4 Likes

This is assuming youā€™re in a perfect world though. The reality of the situation is that despite there being a substitute good, the demand still exceeds the supply and drives the cost up.

Yes thatā€™s literally what he observed. Does not invalidate his point, that this observation seems not logical.

And in that case, people DO ACTUALLY buy B when it is more expensive on the market and worse in stats than A.

Thatā€™s out of the topic. The question is not why is the price so high ; the question is why people purchase a worse module for a higher price.
Until the price of CN goes below the price of GCT, there should not be any sale of CN invul because itā€™s just better to use a GCT.

Thatā€™s the main question of this thread, I agree. But in the part I quoted, the question was ā€˜why do the prices not move towards eachotherā€™, which is related to the main question of this thread. And thatā€™s what I tried to answer.

What a surprise, stupid/lazy/new/drunk people with less knowledge of the game exist.

No itā€™s not. Itā€™s just not. You are taking an argument to absurdity out of the context.
Please read what you are talking about.

That would be a possible explanation if the volume of sales was very low for CN. Which I ALREADY stated is not the case.
Please learn to read.

Itā€™s not an issue that prices donā€™t move towards each other as long as the volume of sales of the more expensive is very low. EG if type B is the same as type A but only drops hundred times less, then nobody will buy it so BO price will be much lower than Aā€™s, and SO price will be higher.

@Anderson_Geten

This was the first time and last time I had a discussion with you, as I really dislike the hostility in your posts. Donā€™t bother to respond to my posts again.

1 Like

Again, it only makes logical sense in a perfect world. The reality is that people have enough money to not care about a negligible difference in price

1 Like

That it is a video game does not mean it is immune to simple supply and demand rules.

You know this video game employs a full-time economist to monitor the in-game market, right?

itā€™s not only a difference in price.
Check the facts I gave above.

It would make sense if it was only locally true, but AFAIK itā€™s been consistently like this for at least 2 years.

That was a long time ago.

You are not taking into consideration human phycology. If it came down to pure economics and logic then people would not buy the CN invulns. But you have brand loyalty to take into consideration, Other people role-players may want to fit their CN ravens with CN modules as for role playing reasons they see these as being superior. Who knows? I have met other players who just see the price tag and think bragging rightsā€¦ my ship cost me X-billion ISKā€¦ Human phycology, it does not make sense but explains so much at the same time.

You misspelled human stupidity, and it was already mentioned.

People do things that are bad because they want to keep their opinion of themselves as ā€œgoodā€. So they rather blind themselves rather than notice they have been wrong. Like a few retard on those forum, eg those who claim ā€œcorrelation is causationā€ when they are citing articles that literally say the opposite, or the one who claimed ā€œyou canā€™t share epic reward you are a cheaterā€ even though I had tested this and reported to CCP long before he even got to think about that.

Well, those two have literally proven they are stupid, and how they can impact on the forum and the game by their sheer amount of stupidity. I also knew of people who used bad modules ā€œbecause itā€™s CN greenā€ but thatā€™s not enough to reach the 14 sales/day of CN invul. On the opposite, the effect of those people on the market should be close to nothing, as their stupidity should also prevent them from making benefit and not losing their ship.

I just checked and the volume of CN invuls is 7/day, while GCT is 22/day

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.