Came back from break -4 Billion ISK

Was the trade agreed upon on the forums before the trade took place in game? Because scamming is not allowed on the forums market.

2 Likes

In Jita I was offering Plex for isk, some guy offered me top isk over what he could buy it in market, as soon as the trade window appearance with the very generous offer I shut it, not going to fall for that one.

Read what gm wrote. That is total BS. that gm is wrong/bad at his job.

Trade window scamming is PEEFECTLY LEGAL.

OP DID NOTHING WRONG

2 Likes

That applies only to the character bazaar. Scamming on the forums is otherwise perfectly okay.

2 Likes

I would escalate that ticket.

That gm is wrong. Get his boss to review.

Wow ccp you better outsource to some better workers.

Wtf is happening to CCP lately?

1 Like

Yeah, if this is as you describe it here, the GM action makes no sense, as - again going by your description - this is within accepted game behaviour and use of game mechanics. Heck, it’s even part of EVE University’s wiki. Just like it is explained to New Players in the New Citizens Q&A section.

Now if this were in a starter system, that would be a different case. Likewise if it were to deal with Plex or character sales.

Again, going by what you’ve described (but we have no idea here as to whether that is complete or accurate) CCP’s Reimbursement Policy (Item 8) seems clear.

You’re certain you didn’t do anything fishy? But, in before the lock I suppose. This should be between you and Customer Support.

Hm the case seems so clear and yet the described reaction of a GM sounds so wrong.

I’m starting to think we’re not being told the whole story.

3 Likes

Welcome to humanity, it is a bit of an odd species :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, possibly.

1 Like

5 years ago I’d have said the same. But today? Nah, sounds entirely reasonable. Just look at what EVE has become.

1 Like

They don’t control Reddit, post it there.

Ah, I see you did. Good show.

That kinda takes me back to the days where CCP’s customers were one community, instead of a myriad of fragmented inward bound comm streams.

Scamming in general is no cause for alarm. However there are places where such action are not allowed such as the Forum’s Market place and especially the Character Bazaar, on that note it seems to me that during the discussion of the trade in question, you both agreed on a price, but instead of honoring your deal you changed the ISK you offered in the direct trade and quickly accepted before the seller would notice the difference, hence why the GM has transferred the remaining ISK for your purchase.

If I were you I’d remove the image from Reddit or you might find your account banned.

2 Likes

um im not allowed to post on redit?

talking about your experience is fine but exclude any sensitive info!

CCP, GM or ISD conversation may not be shared on Forums or elsewhere, they are strictly confidential. CCP or GM may choose to share to prevent similar situation if it warrants it, but nobody else may share such info.

1 Like

Reddit is not owned by CCP and their rules do not apply there. Unless you can show me “don’t post GM’s being dipshits on Reddit” in the EULA somewhere. You also seem to be forgetting there are two parties in those GM/CCP/ISD communications and just because one doesn’t want it shared doesn’t mean a pile of beans, the other person has a choice what to do with their communications they’re involved in. Also, if this scam is illegal then you’d better get your asses in gear to retroactively ban the hundreds who have done the exact same scam.

1 Like

did not know, i will remove it now, but can I fight the -4b i mean it was a jita scam lol, last I checked its been fully allowed

That would signify a truly massive policy change. You know, along the lines of the change back in the day in regards to Impersonation (which, admittedly, was direly needed and very well engaged on by CCP).

The reason I mention this as a policy change, is because the outlines of what is currently available allow for verbal agreements within constraints of game mechanics as part of a scam.

This is rather, well, interesting. Up to this point the only way I could see a GM action against him - depending on accuracy / completeness of what he’s described - would be the presence of impersonation. Not negotiations or verbal agreements, as we have no such thing as written agreements in EVE. Case “no such mechanism”. This is why players recommend to each other to only use contracts.

If what you are saying is correct, and the GM action specifies policy, that essentially means I can make a petition against someone who breaks his word in any relation to items / objects / in game currency. I could also trick people into exactly that, and then dump it on Customer Support.

I’m a bit unsettled here. The concept of a scam is dishonouring a deal. If this is (new) policy, that really deserves its own publication and clarification.

4 Likes

From what I can understand, it wasn’t a contract scam like you usually see (in Jita), but happened during a direct trade between two players.

When CCP recently updated the referral program (Recruit a Friend) they stated that any verbal promises/agreements made is binding and will be subject to punishment in accordance with their policies. I cannot confirm or deny that this is not a common practice (Policy) outside of the referral program.

1 Like

If true, then that means that trade window scams are no longer allowed. Will CCP reimburse the thousands of players who’ve fallen victims for such scams then, and deck the amounts from the scammers wallets?

In my opinion, the trade window is a joke by itself, and I would never use it to get a deal done (due to the obvious risk of getting scammed). But as a previous poster mentioned, this is indeed a significant change in policies towards scamming in the game.

From what I can tell, it would, as the previous poster previously mentioned, include all forms of scamming where the scammer claims Item X for Y ISK, but instead puts in Z ISK in the deal. May it be in trade windows, contracts or what not.

Aka, that would also include ALL of the spam scam contracts in Jita where people change the name of the contracts (Gecko for 1 mil, anyone?).

SCAMS
Updated July 06, 2018 01:17
A scam is what happens when someone takes advantage of a players misplaced trust, temporary confusion or ignorance of game rules, and robs players via legal in-game means. When this occurs, there is nothing the Support Team can do for the victim. Although low and despicable, scams do not violate any game mechanics and can not be compensated for by the GMs, nor can the scammers generally be punished for their actions.

However, scams that affect areas outside of the game may not be tolerated in the same manner, such as, but not limited to:

Scams involving Character Transfers, mainly via the Character Bazaar where scamming is explicitly forbidden
Scams mimicking services provided by CCP while providing modified data via third party websites
Scams using exploits (fake or existing)
Scams involving the “PLEX for Good” campaigns
Scams that encourage the mark to purchase PLEX in order to acquire the ISK/Items

Seems like that GM wasn’t aware of Eve’s own policies in regards to scamming. Ooops?