Carriers too stronk! WAAAAAH!

Didn’t find any carriers to kill today CCPLEASE nerf.

LOLZ :rofl:

Look at just how OP carriers are. Able to effortlessly generate 60m/hour by murdering innocent NPCs and contributing to the inflation of isk in EvE. Carriers should be changed so they can’t damage NPCs in anoms

1 Like

yah they nerfed the tracking of fighters, gawd knows why; solo, a carrier is and always has been vulnerable - now they cant hit for ■■■■ so are (IMO) pretty gash for solo and small gang now.

1 Like

My favorite was a few years back when they said carriers made too much ISK ratting anoms, so they… wait for it… nerfed them in PvP. It’s like… duuhhhhhh… you don’t nerf carriers in PvP to fix an issue with economy or PvE, damn morons! If they make too much ISK in anoms, fix bloody anoms! So I literally unsubbed for over 1 year after that debacle. I do believe in voting with wallet.

So, you’re judging.

Do you fly a carrier? YES
Does it takes you longer to lock a small ship ? YES
Are you launching other carriers or smaller fighters? Smaller fighters.

Hmm, how come your small fighters that are ships on their own can hit the other small ships? I have no idea because i am not smart. But maybe you can figure it out… or check out the stats of those fighters?

There are also skills and fits that will increase your locking speed, scan resolution, etc. This is what I like about the forums, it’s cheaper than a psychiatrist.

1 Like

As a 15yrs long broodwar player on the Iccup server, I know of that carriers auto win thing but it was always situational. The best korean pro terrans always had an upper hand over the best protoss carrier abusing profesionals like Bisu, Stork, Best. Flash brought terran anti-carrier strategies to near perfection , countering it in many ways that I can count here. Zergs would wreck any protos that dared go carriers because “plague+swarm+hydralisks+scourge+devourers+ you can’t go carriers zvp on the same skill level cause you won’t get to that point in the game where you can afford to mass carriers” .

In Broodwar, a a single CARRRIEERU is useless, can be easely killed by a ghost with lockdown and a wraith . You can kill it with only 3 fully upgraded@decently maneuvred goliats. You can kill a carrier with 4 zerg scourges ,with many lesser tier cheaper units . You can cast down plague on a carrier then bring in 3 hydras and kill it under 4 seconds or just suicide gank 2 scourges. Not to mention in PvP you can mind controll a carier in one second with dark archon so that’s settled.

The only place where carriers were a dominating auto-win force was if similar skilled players of the lower tiers, in Terran vs Protoss matchup, if you could masss 4+ of them and have decent micro/macro skills to go with. It was always down to the protoss player , if he gets lazy with constant carrier micro, a decent terran player can wreck his 12+ carriers in under 2 minutes with one volley goliath snipe after snipe.

In Broodwar, carrier abuse was actually a protoss player last resort to win against heavy macro/turtling terran players. And often would end in 40 minutes chases. Four x12 squads of goliaths would kill 20+ carrier fighters in one volley so the protoss had to have very good macro skills to keep up with fighters rebuilding faster than the goliaths kill them, else he’d go bust.
Often you could snipe 8+ carriers with a couple good scans to locate the observers, kill them then free kill the carriers with cloacked wraiths whilst they try to reach a cannon or bring in another observer.

1 Like

you are laughable. so is your troll post.
idiot with carrier level 1 and fighter 1 skills nor ddas nor fighter support units on your fit

I know. Unfortunately, you missed the point I was making. The reason I am confident you did is that you are right in as far as what you say but that is not the situation here.
Try thinking of it as a Protoss Carrier finding a single Mutalisk with no backup. You see, this is what I was trying to allude to in terms of comparison. It is like the Mutalisk had no attack but was just invulnerable to the Carrier’s Fighters.

I know it is using a sort of “apples and oranges” analogy but, you know, it was just an analogy after all.

The main point, for me at least, was “1 big squash 1 small. Even if many small can bash one big it was only 1 small”. Leaving aside the whole thing with skills etc: if it takes that long to train - even to level 1 skills - into a Carrier then surely, by dint of size if nothing else, it should be reasonable to expect it would have no real problems doing its “I big you small. Now you go squash” thing.
Right?

Maybe I am being unreasonable here or maybe I have unrealistic expectations, but I don’t think that’s the case. I mean, why would you bother spending that long and all that expense, in not only isk but SPs & time for the training, to fly something when you can be in something much smaller and cheaper a whole lot sooner that is - to all intents and purposes here - better?

If you want to kill an Ishtar then you can do it with a battleship. If you absolutely want overkill then bring a marauder.

If you want to krab like the OP then yes, buy a carrier and dock up whenever somebody else shows up on local. Of the “millions” of posts about the capital ships being overpowered, none of them are referring to a carrier’s ability to pwn overpropped cruisers.

There is a jumble of arguments here that leads nowhere. I thought this was the OP making a joke, but he actually seems confused about the very simplest of concepts.

1 Like

So a carrier is so overwhelmingly OP… that it can’t kill an AFK-Ishtar?

By the way, for those who have… lets say “intellectual challenges” with getting the point (not necessarily accusing @Xeux of that) , this post is NOT about “what’s the best way to kill an Ishtar.” I couldn’t care less about the Ishtar, but if I really wanted to kill it, I’d find a way to do it. The point is, I thought carriers were supposed to be massively OP?

1 Like

Now you know better.

1 Like

I am a newbie here but I’ll try add 1+1 here ,assuming the guy is not a troll. He was talking about an Ishtar which is a heavy assault cruiser ,not your regular standard cruiser.
50% reduction in Microwarpdrive signature radius penalty
• Can fit Assault Damage Controls
Also I understand Ishtar is used for ratting in “speed tanking” alot and can pack quick regen.

He said he used the heavy weapons on the fighters, which I understand have a very low chance to hit anything but a sitting duck because of tracking or with missile, velocity explosion. So either hes a complete noob or a troll because you can’t expect to use heavy guns/missiles to kill a speed tanking 1000m/s Ishtar that also fits damage controls, has 50% mwd signature radius decrease and prolly fit for shield tanking aswell since a botter goes afk and wants his ship as beefy as possible.
I’m trying out some noob ratting and even with 2 tracking modules with tracking scripts loaded, my t2 medium drones having 1.69 tracking from .96 (almost double) , still bloody miss hits on cruisers/destroyers from time to time.

1 Like

If you are a newbie here as you say, you may lack some context, which I will try to briefly provide.

First off, I’m not a troll, although I am accused of being one on every post. Don’t get me wrong, there ARE a lot of trolls on this forum, and you can see them posting in this very post. But I am not one of them. What have I said that is trollish? Sure, I’ve used various techniques from sarcasm to being facetious to using absurdity in order illustrate absurdity, and whatever else. But using said techniques is just writing style to illustrate points, it isn’t being a troll. I will also say that, contrary to what a lot of people think, saying something that you disagree with also is not being a troll. TL;DR - I’m not trolling, I am deadly serious with the point I am trying to make, and if you want to go through my posting history, I’ve tried to make it many times over the years.

Anyway, yeah, an Ishtar is a heavy assault cruiser as you say. And a carrier is a carrier, and has been accused on these forums for years by so-called “nano-gang” people (people who prefer small ships to big ships) of being ridiculously massively OP, to the point that they should be entirely removed from the game, but if not that, then at least nerfed out of the game. Well, I just provided a real life scenario where I found an AFK ratter I wanted to kill, and I tried to use a carrier to kill the guy (HE WASN’T EVEN AT THE KEYBOARD!), and couldn’t. You’d think that if the carrier was THAT OP, it could practically kill things with the pilot being AFK, right?

You reference your ‘noob ratting’ and having trouble hitting cruisers. I’ll say it for the 10th time in this post. I COULD HIT THE CRUISER. TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I just couldn’t kill it. It would shield boost and regen everything in nearly one cycle. So, the issue wasn’t that I couldn’t hit it (even though that would prove nothing, because I’d counter with “What?! The carrier is so OP, yet can’t hit anything?”).

You provide the excuse that the Ishtar can fit assault damage controls, it can do this, and it can do that. Your point being, of COURSE it is a strong ship. Yes, and we could say that the carrier can fit fighter launch tubes, it can do this, and it can do that. So why does that make the carrier OP, but not the Ishtar? Why does saying the Ishtar can do X, Y, and Z excuse it for being OP, but saying the carrier can do A, B, and C prove that it is OP?

You say you are new here, so you lack historical context. So here is a tiny bit of it. This post is just the latest salvo in a years long fight between so-called ‘nano gang’ people who want Eve Online to be “frigates and cruisers online,” vs. people like me who see absolutely nothing wrong with big ships in the game. “Nano gang” people think they should be able to kill anything in the game with their small ships. They have several rallying cries to this effect, for instance “bigger should not mean better!” They think a frigate which takes almost no skilling and no time and costs almost no ISK should be able to solo a dreadnought or carrier or titan. This post is just a latest lob in a back-and-forth which has gone (in stops and starts) for years.

Now, does the post prove anything? Like anything else in life, yes and no. You might say nothing proves anything, and from a certain perspective you’d be right. Look, it’s just another data point I’m throwing out there. It’s just more ammo I’m grabbing and throwing into the collective faces of the nano-gangers. I just happened to run across an AFK ratter I wanted to kill. I moved a carrier in and tried to kill him. Could it have been done better? Sure! Everything in life can be done better. Could it have been done worse? Absolutely. Could there have been a better example to make my point than a carrier vs. an AFK-Ishtar? Maybe, but this is the example that presented itself to me. And nobody else went through the trouble, and made a post about it, so here it is. So what does it prove? Everything, and nothing. It proves what you want it to prove.

3 Likes

Why not link some of these millions of posts claiming that the carrier is overpowered?

No, I’m not going to do your work for you. If you want to inform yourself, just do a search right here on these forums. The posts are legion, and the debates have gone on for years - I’d say over 10, although back then the nano-gangers were attacking battleships not capships, because almost nobody used capships back then.

That is why I think your post is so dumb. You have claimed a strawman argument exists - “millions” of posts. You won’t link a single one. You go on and on sarcastically claiming that the whole world thinks that carriers can blow up anything at any time without any limits, mocking the stupidity of these nonexistant opponents. Instead, you are mostly faced with reasonable people trying to explain to you that this was a failure in your piloting and trying to suggest how you could improve.

1 Like

If you can’t even be bothered to do a little research to educate yourself on the issue before opening your mouth to speak on it, I can’t help you very much.

You were trying to help me?