[CAVTT] The Test of Faith

Like any effective heresy, much of what Samira Kerhner says is based in truth. Much of the corruption that Kernher points out is real and must end.
But make no mistake. This is a clear heresy and Samira has been brought under the sway of deception and error.

I. We Cannot Choose our own Scripture

In this manifesto, famous snippets of scripture are used to deny the whole. We see a bizarre reading of the Epitoth and a repeated prioritization of the Book of Missions. If we were to play the scripture quoting game, we could easily counter these with other famous scriptural quotes, Book I 1:14 or the Second Letter of St. Junip would both run counter to her argument, but to match her quote for quote would be to play her entirely flawed scriptural interpretation game.

A core element of Kernherism to my mind is this fundamental assumption that some scripture is inherently more valid than others. That you can go through the massive volumes of scripture and find ā€œtrueā€ scripture. And once you have decided what is true, you can just declare the rest to not be divinely inspired. She also prioritizes older scripture over new, but that comes with limits. If one of the oldest scriptures happens to not support her claims, she can just claim that any scripture in conflict with what she has decided is the true Amarr message is a moral reforms interpolation and must be tossed out.

This is a clear heresy and must be opposed. The scriptures cannot be treated so haphazardly and Godā€™s ability to be present and active in the universe in less flashy ways than the Sefrim cannot be denied. A piece of scripture telling the story of one Emperor being required by God to redeem himself by ruling without blatant divine aid as he fixed a crisis that his laxity had allowed does not mean that God abandoned Amarr.

The Moral Reforms were also not the disaster that Samira makes them out to be. They were a necessary reform movement for the Empire and my predecessors, both the Holders of Lokā€™ri and the Chapter Masters of the Sacred Throne Order fought for the side of righteousness in those dark years. While contemporary Amarr certainly needs many reforms, it would take an uncontested divine revelation of a new era for changes to the Order established by the Moral Reforms to be acceptable.

Does Samira claim such a divine revelation? Does she claim to be a Saint?

II. Populism is not an Answer.

While I applaud Samiraā€™s faith in the Amarr People, such an open appeal to populism as a force for change is contrary to the divinely appointed order of things. Samira speaks as if she is one of these masses of Amarr, but she is not. She was exalted far above her origins and is wealthy beyond the dreams of almost any freed person or commoner. Her Holder started it by freeing her family. PIE continued it. Now, from a position of new money, she speaks to the common people as if she is still one of them. But what happens if they follow her advice? Who bears the burden of the upended order?

Samira will not. She is protected by CONCORD and by wealth. But what happens when she incites slave revolts? When she incites riots? Does Amarr change? No. She will just destabilize Amarr and get many people, mostly of the lower strata, killed. And in doing so she fuels the insane fantasies of those corrupt holders who look to the vast populations of Commoners, Freedpeople, and Slaves in Amarr and see something to fear. In every action Samira has made since leaving PAux, she has served to empower the very people she claims to oppose. This manifesto is no different.

Populism just breeds chaos. Like Samira, I have great faith in the people of Amarr. But the answer is not for the people of Amarr to demand change, the people of Amarr should do their duty, be pious to God, fulfill their responsibilities and work within our divinely ordained systems to remove the corruption they encounter both in themselves and in their peers and subordinates.

Reform of the Holder Class may indeed be necessary, but that reform needs to come from within the Holder Class. When I read the stories of the Moral Reforms era, the similarities to our own times are often striking. It is the duty of the faithful Holders to enforce Amarr values on other holders by drawing attention to their corruption. It is our duty to act when those under our authority show corruption. Similarity, it is the duty of our superiors to act on the evidence of corruption in their subordinates. When possible, that action should be corrective rather than punitive, but it is our duty to act. The nobility that treat power as a game rather than a grave and holy responsibility are not true nobles. But neither are those who believe that they, individually, have the answer to the problems Amarr faces.

III. Individualism is the Enemy.

This manifesto is glaringly individualistic. Yes, it shows an admirable compassion for the suffering of others, and an admirable sense of purity of purpose, but it is centered around her own personal fall from faith. Her solutions, the things that the commoners she calls to ā€œmustā€ do, are her personal solutions. Her interpretation of the scriptures is the one that matters, not the interpretations that was developed by many learned people over millennia, but her own personal take on a complicated subject that she developed over less than a decade. She thinks, in her youthful inexperience, that she is simply better than all those who came before her.

The only prior authority she points to is Toth, who was most famous for getting himself and 50,000 of his followers lost in a pointless search for lost treasures. And even there she misappropriates his memory. According to my theological advisors, whom I admit I needed to consult on his actual teachings as opposed to his wild goose chase, he was certainly a radical theologian who spoke against the Reclaiming and in favor of prioritizing service to God, but he was never declared a heretic. He was also alive centuries before the Moral Reforms, so the systems he spoke against was the very Council of Apostles to which Samira elsewhere in her piece calls for Amarr to return. So even in her one appeal to a past authority, Samira takes her own individualistic approach to interpreting his message.

The strength of Amarr is not in individuality. If anything, those Amarr who embrace their individuality are its worst weakness. The Sani Sabik and other such heresies, the most blatantly corrupt holders, and those who do not do their duty all have in common that they value their individuality. This is not the Amarr way. To choose for yourself is to err. To choose for yourself is the root of new heresy.

The Amarr way is to stand together in community with the faithful. To do our duties with no thought of personal cost. We surround ourselves with the faithful and we stand together. To do otherwise is to betray Amarr and betray ourselves.

13 Likes

I am not of the faith. This affords me a great deal of scrutiny and skepticism when approaching it. Even despite, I have made great effort in recent time to understand the faith, and have sought the advice and guidance of those members of The Good Word in interpreting what I feel are hard questions that draw on that skepticism and scrutiny. I am forever grateful for their patience and tolerance.

Yet it seems that my patience and tolerance is frequently tested. I have read your essay, Gaven Lokā€™ri, and I dare say it is a great many words to simply hand-wave what Samira Kernher suggests as heresy; that it should be ignored for its own sake. You briefly touch on the idea of reform and state that it needs to come from the Holders, but stop just short of any actual propositions or suggestions. This seems to be a recurring theme. This rhetoric lends itself to complicity toward the status quo; the Kingdomā€™s crimes and the ever growing appeasement toward them and that murderous Duke of Fabai - now the sword-bearers for Aridia. You wisely exempt any mention of them in your rebuttal and I think you consciously chose to do that because you realize that it adds credence toward the necessity of Imperial reform. That complicity and avoidance is exactly why people like myself - an Intaki from Placid - have been given cause to bring our guns to bear, and exactly why many more will follow in our wake.

If youā€™re prepared for the world to collectively set the Empire alight, then no reform is necessary. Yet if you have even a sliver of a doubt that the Empire - by its own merit - will survive that, then perhaps heed the hereticā€™s wordsā€¦ or at the very least offer a suitable alternative.

1 Like

And as such, this thread isnā€™t about you and your repeated butting into it does Samira no favors.

5 Likes

As long as there are Intaki slaves in the Empire and the Kingdom, it absolutely is about me.

1 Like

As long as there are Khanid citizens in federation prison does that mean I can vote in your election?

7 Likes

You stiff-necked fools. You donā€™t see the smoldering embers on your roof threatening to burn your house down but, when the danger is pointed out by ā€œoutsidersā€ you refuse to listen.

As to your other point, I believed that the IGS was a free and open forum for all capsuleers to exchange ideas and opinions. Apparently you slavers feel otherwise (even though you have no issue with butting into threads that on the surface ā€œdonā€™t concern youā€ either). Oh well, my mistake I suppose.

When your house burns Iā€™ll bring marshmallows to roast so that it shouldnā€™t be a total waste.

2 Likes

Canā€™t we? Amarrā€™s rulers do it all the time.

I have not denied the whole of Scripture. I have called for a commission into it so that we can sift the corrupt passages from the whole. Because make no mistake, there are corrupt passages that have been inserted into Scripture by the decrees of corrupt rulers. These corrupt passages lead generations of worshipers into false belief and must be excised if we are to assure Amarrā€™s spiritual purity.

Of course God remains present and active in the universe. It is His teachings that must guide us. We are revealed the laws of His universe through scientific discovery and theological debate. But we do not have his word clear and unfiltered in our ear. We do not have the sefrim in our courts. We do not wear the Avetat. We cannot take all Scripture as Godā€™s true word, we have to doubt, else we will never hear the real truth. The only Scripture that we can trust, implicitly, without such doubt, is that which was conveyed directly to those first and most holy prophets, before God charged us to redeem ourselves by our own merits. Editing such Scripture would be sacrilege. Yes, I call for eliminating Moral Reforms alterations, but that is not to ā€˜change what I donā€™t agree withā€™, it is to get back to the heart of what was intended by God.

I claim no sainthood nor divine revelation, and it was those like Lord Lokā€™ri , not me, who call this movement by my name. It is not my place to claim such things. I look to God for guidance, and I pray that He will lead me rightly. Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps not. I can only do what I feel is right.

As for Lord Lokā€™riā€™s defense of the Moral Reforms, I quote his own words: ā€œThe nobility that treat power as a game rather than a grave and holy responsibility are not true nobles.ā€ The Moral Reforms were such a game, a coup to give Heideran V and what are now the heir families supreme power over Amarr. And what we have seen in the time since is an Amarr that drifts further and further away from the faith as it becomes focused around Holder power plays instead of God.

Lord Lokā€™ri seeks to tarnish my word by calling up the obscene power the capsuleer class possesses, while ignoring that I have called for, both in this manifesto and many times before, a weakening and regulating of the capsuleer class. It is wrong that I have as much power as I do. But as long as I do have it, I will use it to fight for the common people of Amarr. If they were to give voice themselves, they should be silenced and punished by their lords. But I am beyond the reach of the lords, so I can speak openly. Thus I have a responsibility to act to defend them.

Whatever I am today, I am of them.

Will there be chaos and destabilization? Yes. It would be a lie to say otherwise. Great change is never easy. Lord Lokā€™ri underestimates the intelligence and courage of the Amarr people if he thinks this is something that needs to be pointed out. Those who fight, do it despite the risks, because they know it is the right thing to do. Our duty may be difficult, but that does not mean we run and hide from it in fear. The First Prophet Gheinok was a populist, an outcast who preached to the people of God in defiance of his society. Amash-Akura, the First Emperor, fought a holy war that spread across all of Amarr in order to unite it and bring it into accordance with Godā€™s will. It is the actions of these people, who challenged the status quo of their day, that birthed the holy Amarr Empire.

Lord Lokā€™ri says our demands empowers those we oppose, but he is, again, stating only what is common knowledge. Of course the lords, fat from their greed and sin, will see the demands of the people under their rule as a threat. Of course they will try to smother it, as they did on Kahah and Thebeka and Alkabsi and all the others. But we are more powerful. Lord Lokā€™ri calls against my individualism, but what I really call for is unity. The common people are so much more powerful if we come together as one. The voice of the common people brought the Speakers of Truth to Lord Aritcioā€™s court. And that voice can accomplish so much more.

The greatest revolutions in history have been founded by individuals who saw that things were wrong and fought to make the world better. Dano Gheinok, Amash-Akura, Kuria, Ilash Toth, and others. But they are never alone. Their names are in the history books, but their beliefs are echoed across thousands. When error is rampant, and their word speaks true, then that initial spark is built upon, until it becomes a movement of many.

I speak from my own experiences because it is those experiences that have lead me to the beliefs I hold today. But they are not unique to me. They are echoed by every slave and commoner who has been abused and neglected by their rulers, and they are woven into the souls of those who have been murdered by butchers.

I am not better. My argument is against those who actually think they are, who write their superiority into the Scripture and demand that the people of Amarr submit to it. And I do not reject learned people, I call for a commission of them to verify Scripture and purge it of corruption ā€“ a duty that was supposed to be the Theology Councilā€™s, were they not the sycophantic pawns of the Imperial Throne that they have allowed themselves to become.

And yes, Toth spoke against Imperial governance in a time before the Moral Reforms. But I never said that the Moral Reforms was the time when Amarr fell. The Moral Reforms were a symptom of Amarrā€™s collapse, not the cause. It has grown over centuries, beginning ever since Amash-Akura turned the sefrim away, the tiniest speck of blackness, leading up to now, a period that seems to be nearing, if not already in, a dark age.

Saying Toth was not a heretic is likewise an exercise in obfuscation by Lord Lokā€™ri. Toth was dismissed and hated by Amarrian rulers at the time, and his name and writings have been suppressed in the time since his death. Information on him is very hard to recover, and Tothist orders and teachings are forbidden today. Whether or not he was formally labeled a heretic is irrelevant, and Lord Lokā€™ri knows that.

I never wanted to be in this position. I was a slave. I was raised to serve, to be obedient and silent. I donā€™t want to be in this fight. But what I want doesnā€™t matter. I have witnessed too much to accept that everything will work itself out, to accept that our rulers will act justly. When Grand Inquisitor Ohrud Ohel was called on to eliminate Sanist influence in the 24th Imperial Crusade, he did nothing. When Cardinal Sourem Itharen was pressed to dismiss Sani Sabik from participating in the Succession Trials, she refused. When empresses Jamyl I and Catiz I were petitioned to enforce Scriptural law regarding the right ownership of slaves, to prevent slaves from falling into the hands of groups like Sanshaā€™s Nation or Sani Sabik butchers, they dismissed it. When Doriam II was assassinated, his killer was never discovered (even today, the Red Chamberlain is only a suspect behind it). When Orlon Zashev was taken into custody by the Ministry of Internal Order, he escaped (or was set free). When the Speakers of Truth are called for, they almost never answer. When King Khanid and his lackeys press for greater and greater influence over Amarr, our lords do nothing to stop them, giving land and titles away. When Jamyl betrayed Shatholā€™Syn, the Privy and Theology Councils gave her the throne instead of punishing her. When called to take a stand against slave abuses and TCMCs, the Theology Council dismissed the case. And when Holders are asked to adjudicate, they rule arbitrarily.

I have to act. It is my responsibility, as a servant of God, to Reclaim what he has given, to defeat the enemies without and control the enemies within.

Am I an individual? Aye, I am. I am an individual because I have been forced out by the sickness that infests Amarrian leadership. I was born a slave to work off the sins of people who died centuries before me, only to watch King Khanid get made an heir despite heinous treason and secession in his own lifetime. With such hypocrisy in place, how can anyone hold faith and unity with the system as it is now? I was betrayed, as were the many other commoners and slaves who have been abused and abandoned by a system that was supposed to care for them. When faced with such a betrayal, when you cannot trust the priest who intercedes to God on your behalf, then you must cut them out and go to God yourself.

1 Like

If you have any faith in God youā€™d trust His guidance of the faithful, especially the throne, heirs and holders to keep scripture pure.

While man may fall into corruption it is the combination of faith, the Theology Council and the Empress that safeguards our sacred texts.

I can only agree with Admiral Lokā€™ri: Heresy comes along with many truths, but in heresy truth gets intermingled in dangerous ways with error.

ā€œI was betrayedā€¦ā€, we hear the clamor of the one that feels wronged, and ā€œas were [ā€¦] many other[s]ā€. And thus, the system is abusive. The Priest needs to be ā€˜cut outā€™. The others have to be the ones that use their power to keep oneself seperated for God, right? Who else is there to blame?

I can only shake my head at those ideas. If one needs to go to God oneself, one doesnā€™t need to cut anyone out. One needs to go. Go! What a waste of time to try to fix something, which never can be the problem!

The way to God is always free, for whoā€™d be able to stand between Him and His creation? It is ourselves holding us back, turning away. That is the grave sin, humanities greatest failing. The price of being able to freely turn towards Lord God. To choose humility, a true humility out of which grows a natural meekness.

Itā€™s an egotistical, a toxic individualism to point out flaws in others and blame them for ones own misery. We do so mostly because we have those very same weaknesses in ourselves - but lack the strength or courage to tackle them right there, within ourselves. And thus, we loathe them even more when we encounter them in others. Because the others turn into mirrors, showing to us our greatest failings.

Only true humility and meekness allow us to turn away and face ourselves and the flaws we need to rectify. To find serenity, to make peace with the within and without and find our true place in the grand scheme of things. To find God in ourselves and ourselves in God.

I will include you in my prayers, Cpt. Kernher.

5 Likes

As you well know, Imperial decrees, like any revelation, only become scripture after they are ratified by a Theology Council commission. The Empress does not get to decide which of her decrees become scripture.

The sort of commission you talk about falls directly into the mission of the Theology Council. But you deny the Councilā€™s validity because you personally donā€™t like the decisions it has made on what is and is not scripture.

2 Likes

So basically people like Alar Chakaid decide what is Godā€™s word?

Good luck. Youā€™re going to need it.

5 Likes

Hardly. The Khanid delegation is a tiny part of the Theology Council and a recent addition. The vast majority of its members are not ā€œLike Alar Chakaid.ā€ Chakaid was also not present for the decisions that Samira rails most strongly against.

2 Likes

At the moment, that is no doubt true.

Fact remains though that people like him are in the body of decision makers you place your trust in for deciding on the Word of God. Your argument relies on the Council being holy and [translator: of ice or water: clear, translucent, uncontaminated | ā€œnot corruptedā€?]. But how can it be so with that man in it?

I am not the one able to judge whether the Kernherite uprising is the one you need, at this moment. But it seems pretty clear you need something.

Else

1 Like

I blame them for the mass murder of millions of innocent people and the abuse of millions more. I blame them for betraying laws they hold others to. I blame them for their greed and power lust. I blame them for corrupting our faith and leading Amarr into sin.

2 Likes

If past dialogue in Lokā€™ri is any indicator, the entire chain needs to be visibly corroded and worn for there to be any real concern; one or two weak links need not be scrutinized.

If you think Samira is asking for one or two weak links to be replaced, you understand nothing at all.

If we run with your metaphor, Samira is arguing that the chain is already broken and needs radical repair while I am arguing that we only need to repair a few links.

Neither of us is ignoring the signs of corruption in the Empire, though we have strong disagreements on where exactly that corruption lies.

3 Likes

As I have repeated thrice now, until I hear a suitable alternative, Iā€™m leaning toward Samira Kernherā€™s proposition. It at least suggests ways to replace the broken links instead of simply acknowledging they are there.

1 Like

Please donā€™t use this word in topics relating to the Amarr religions. It causes allergic reactions in some people.

Who exactly do you think you are?

You speak like you think your judgement holds some authority. You seem to think that your opinion about who has the right ideas on internal Amarr disputes is something others should care about. Let me disabuse you of those notions. The largest effect your opinion is likely to have on matters Amarr is to slightly discredit anyone you try to support.

You also seem to be assuming that people are not doing anything beyond what they trumpet on IGS for all to see. If our goal is to protect Amarr, telling internal enemies that we are planning on going after them is dangerous and counterproductive.

That said, even if I were the indecisive fool you seem to take me for, indecision would be better than joining Samiraā€™s heresy.

7 Likes

Someone who stopped reading right about there.

2 Likes