CCP Cancels WIS and then Tease It... šŸ‘€

Iā€™d like walking in station but if there is no way to invite anyone for a game of chess or drunken storytelling then itā€™s pretty useless.

5 Likes

You write ā€œno oneā€, but what youā€™re actually saying is ā€œus NPCs that spend all day lurking the forum to gripe about the game we donā€™t play.ā€

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

4 Likes

WIS was stopped and removed because there were not enough players actually using the Captainā€™s quarters. Which in an exaggerated sense means, nearly no one. I would much rather their talent be put into making the new hangers work properly and extended to all stations, not just Upwell.

1 Like

Okay, so WiS was indeed overhyped, incomplete, and badly implemented. And the low usage numbers reflected the bad implementation at least as much as lack of player interest. It would have done better if it had been done better, so to speak.

That said, the concept itself is somewhat flawed - at least for EVE. Since the game has no actual ā€˜groundā€™ component (unlike Star Trek Online, for instance), and everything consequential to your character can be done fast and easy from your pod, WiS would end up as ā€œa feature looking for a purposeā€.

It would be used by a small percent of players who just want to see something different, but the majority of players will stick to the interface they know with the least time spent fiddling around.

About the only thing I can think of that would get significant numbers of players out of their pods and interacting in-station is if CCP set up actual ā€œgames of chanceā€ in a bar-like setting and let people gamble only in that setting. Sort of like the old EVE Poker/gambling websites moved in-game.

And of course, that comes with itā€™s own host of legal/moral issues.

2 Likes

In station gun fights is what is needed.

2 Likes

This I would be down for.

AKA DUST in SPACE integrated with EVEā€¦ which was my dream of WIS was leading toā€¦

Thatā€™s not true at all. The Captainā€™s Quarters were minimal so we didnā€™t have a reason to use them much.

What does the background look like to you?

2 Likes

What about that is untrue? You canā€™t just say something and then contradict it?

Itā€™s not the reason WiS was scrapped. It had nothing to do with people using the Captainā€™s Quarters.

2 Likes

ā€œAfter reviewing the usage statistics for captainā€™s quarters, we can see that the development time involved in maintaining the current state of the feature is significantly disproportionate to the number of pilots using the feature.ā€

cough cough

You can glean what you wish from that article.

maintaining the current state of the feature

if we were to commit to advancing walking in stations in the future, then the existing captainā€™s quarters and its underlying software would need to be removed from the client and rebuilt from scratch regardless.

2017-07-12 - BY CCP FALCON

On a side note, when was the last time we got a straight answer from CCP?

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t change the fact that itā€™s not popular. Walking in Stations, if expanded beyond CQ would be just as wasteful. They created that background ever since they started changing the Jita 4-4 station over a year ago, this is not the first pulse episode b with it in a long shot.

1 Like

If you wanna walk in stations, play NMS :smiley:

They shouldnā€™t have waved the carrotā€¦

I found a picture of the power source CCP used while developing WiS.

2 Likes

Walking in stations is never going to happen. Period. Feel free to come back and quote me any time right up until the day the server shuts downā€¦

Avatar based gameplay is all but guaranteed considering Pearl Abyss is the owner.

They are masters of it and they would like to see a hundred thousand plus online average rather than fifteen thousand as it is now. Iā€™m guessing weā€™ll see it sooner rather than later. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if they have had a team working on it for the last few years.

Want to make a friendly bet? Your wishful thinking against my common sense?

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Agreed.

+1

At that point, EVE wouldnā€™t be EVE anymore. Youā€™d have an even bigger cash shop and players running around with cat ears and pets. I want no part of that.

So, again, feel free to quote me. Theyā€™ve had over 10 years to change a single line of text in a tutorial mission that would keep players from asking a thousand questions about it every single day and havenā€™t even been able to manage that. So no, walking in stations is not happening any time soonā€¦

1 Like