CCP change how margin trade works. Why is marginal trading scams allowed?

All orders are guaranteed until they are filled or canceled, except for the margin trading scam.
The only people who fall for it, are the people who are not aware that the usual way the game works is inconsistent in that case. Once you know it, you can on the opposite search for items that are being used for this scam, and place orders to cut the seller. I did it, it’s fun but a waste of time (just not worth it). Still it’s an awfully designed mechanism, that uses lack of knowledge of new players to make them believe there is a profit opportunity.
It’s not about greed of players, it’s about a shitty mechanism, and players being not aware of it.

1 Like

I love how all the smart players consistently call out the stupid aclowns like Scoots Chobo. Consistently. On this exact point that Andersen now also throws into the face of the stupid aclowns.

I can only assume the stupid aclowns are so poor they got nothing worth trading so hence their disregard of a broken mechanic.

We know Scoots Chobo is poor. Because he doesnt dare leave Null.

please, that’s completely out of topic, and a personal aggression. You would make yourself a favor by just ignoring the people who don’ bring anything.

You’ve known me long enough to know I prefer it this way haha.

It in no way reflects on your points or character

When they’re marginal only …
… why does it matter?

:smiley:

1 Like

Heh, I like Gowa’s idea there.

Look, at the end of the day, if somebody says they’re selling something (looking at you, Jita contracts) and you see that there is a profit to be had, I am going to say the first question you should be asking yourself is “why is he not profiting off of it, then?”

Follow that line of thinking for most things in this game and you’ll be ship-shape. Margin trading scams are so easy to spot anywhere. That being said, I think that some sort of NSF fee would actually be pretty nice, because then if somebody is obnoxiously advertising their Ahremen’s Modified Thermal Plating in Jita, I can ding them with some NSFs because I have a lot of that obscure stuff. lol

Except, again:

1. This requires you to be active and monitoring your wallet/orders when they take the bait, and you lose ISK if they do the transaction while you aren’t ready to pull the buy order.

2. If they get the item from somewhere else they can fill your buy order without alerting you that a transaction is coming and you are forced to overpay for an item you don’t want.

The key to the scam is that the auto-fail exploit removes the risk of loss for the scammer. If you had to do it with manual editing of market orders the whole thing would almost certainly disappear because the risk of loss is too high.

Orders on the market can be manipulated and should not be taken as a definitive indication of the value of an item.

They aren’t a definitive indication of an item’s value, but they are in all other cases an indication of its buy or sell price at the moment. In all other cases a market order can be claimed to buy/sell at the listed price and once you claim it the transaction executes and nothing can stop it. Same thing with contracts, someone may claim a contract before you but if you are the one who claims it you are guaranteed to execute the trade on the specified terms. The ONLY case where you can post a fake buy or sell order that can’t be claimed is by exploiting this one specific mechanic in a way that makes no sense at all.

OP’s personality was a perfect match for this scam.

Good to see everything working as intended.

3 Likes

Well, back in the day he would by now have made it to Kane’s list :grinning:.

3 Likes

Looks like @ISD_Norros or @ISD_Dorrim_Barstorlode need to attend to this thread.

Leave RL politics out of this, thanks.

Opened.

Some people still have and use ■■■■ lists :slight_smile: It’s just slightly more difficult these days.

1 Like

This is not happening.
You are imagining things and over-estimating your own importance to the Jita market.

2 Likes

Ok soI had a hunch,and I checked some old patch notes. It turns out there used to be a 10% fine for failing an order. I wonder why they removed it?

Read Market section.

2 Likes

Why in the world did your mind even think to post this, just for one second think about the negativity you are posting where nothing I posted even said I thought I alone am the reason the market moves, but you took what I posted as some grandiose statement, and people wonder why others keep away from them, maybe it’s the toxicity.

K remove all npc sources of isk, delete insurance and bounties because they are even more absurd.

Merry Christmas, Pedro! I’ve contracted you a PLEX! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just realized you were handing out 1 plex. Not 500. Lol.

Sorry for begging for a Christmas gift of 1.7b lol