CCP is now getting bad reviews on ProtonDB

Still much bigger than linux. They would not have brought out a native client if a large base of the users was not using a mac.

3 Likes

Steamworks (steamgames.com)
And yet Steam works off Steamworks which Proton is using, not the other things you mentioned.

1 Like

Fair mate, I’m outty then

1 Like

One that no one aside from internet vegans care about.

What is there to discuss?

1 Like

Perhaps you forget the player count is in decline since 2010, and, that is why they’re betting on web for mobile/tablet users and put effort into a Mac native client, they’re trying to get customers and here you all are, trying to chase them away out of your maximalist approach, CCP are trying not to be maximilists, in fact it looks like many game companies, betting on mobile for big revenues tapping a huge mobile gaming market.

Desktop platforms are tiny compared to the mobile market share.

After Mac, comes Linux, there is no other market to tap into.

Obvious troll is obvious

1 Like

It is a fact, the chart is on Eve Offline website.

You mean the linux users being mad that a game not designed for linux doesn’t work properly on linux?

Thats not a discussion, thats just idiocy at play

Yeah but you’re forgetting one vital piece of the puzzle, the game already ran on those supported platforms and as they still meet the minimum game requirements they will continue to run, linux has never been supported

Yeah i don’t think its as big a deal as you seem to think according to Steam Hardware & Software Survey windows 7 and windows 8.1 account for around 5% of players with 90% of windows users being on W10 already, you need to wake up and realise people moved on from 7 quite a while ago, so upping the minimum requirements to 10 really wouldn’t impact that many people

Mac also has a single central company they can reach out to for support, who is going to provide support for however many billions of distros and kernel combinations exist?

Unify the linux ecosystem and maybe we can talk about how little you matter :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Just like in EVE, you need to pick the right tool for the job.

Linux is a great OS, for certain purposes. However, what you’re trying to do is the EVE equivalent of hauling ore in a T3C.

You have a lot of freedom to modify your tool all you want and that may be why you chose to use that tool, but maybe it’s best to grab another tool that actually is supported by CCP to do what you want it to do.
Get a DST, freighter or something with ore hold to haul ore. And get Windows (and as of last week MacOS) to play the game.

2 Likes

You can use a german stick grenade as a hammer, but its not the best tool, pretty much what you’re saying :slight_smile:

And i agree

2 Likes

Mac isn’t a gaming machine (It is based on BSD), in fact its main market was art/photography/illustrations/typesetting/education historically.

Oh look, Mac native client.

Yep, so there was not an especially good reason to support a Mac native client.

However, Mac has a userbase of a significant size which could potentially become new EVE players, so it makes sense they made a Mac native client.

2 Likes

We’re still positive over 2011…

Also didn’t you have another thread saying people who unsubed were easily replaced?

2 Likes

Yes, but I haven’t “unsubbed” have I, I have it working on Linux.

As for the chart, it is in an obvious downtrend.

If Eve Anywhere doesn’t turn that around, well, continuation of downtrend. If it does turn it around, I would imagine that gets the most focus and, that could be replacing the current “platforms” (but I doubt it as that would kill multi-boxing) and it’s just another attempt at tapping the mobile gamer and defeats the purpose of effort on the Mac. Not sure even a Mac native client will turn around that player downtrend.

The only thing that will keep it going if they don’t get more players, is current (declining) user base spends more and more… and more… to make it viable. As that player count declines, the current remaining players will have to keep spending even more!

You either have more players spending less between them, or less players spending more.

You don’t want to alienate paying players by cutting them off, simply saying “we don’t support you” tough luck. they already did a cull of older DirectX versions, outrage by Windows users happened back then too. It will happen every time there’s a change of mininum or platforms. There WILL be an outrage by Windows7/8.1 users who get told no more I bet too. That day WILL come. We did this before years ago (with DirectX changes).

If the downtrend goes on, then eventually EVE might die. But how is that relevant to ProtonDB? There aren’t enough players on Linux to stop that downtrend, so CCP has to look elsewhere.

If ‘EVE anywhere’ turns it around that’s nice for all the players on platforms that aren’t currently supported such as players on mobile phones, very old laptops, linux, etc.

However, as EVE anywhere runs in the cloud, it has additional costs that a person who can afford their own gaming platform doesn’t have to pay. So while it would be nice to get EVE anywhere as a good option for players who cannot get their own gaming platform for whatever reason, it won’t replace the gaming platform for those who can.

So basically it’s mobile or bust, I don’t see the Mac native client changing anything. Yet the effort was done.

How about neither?

CCP doesn’t need to go mobile to keep EVE alive. There are other ways to sustain the game even if the playerbase shrinks.

Increasing the playerbase is a good option though, and Mac has a lot of users.

2 Likes

Yes, you can spend more.

Spend less, you mean.

No, economics would mean that the less players you have the more each has to spend to sustain it, also, downsize the operation.

Either way, bad reviews are bad, no matter where they are.

Eve is on Steam, that’s a major gaming platform base, MAJOR. SteamPlay goes hand in hand with Steam. Even other major publishers have problems competing with Steam with their own.

As for Linux not being for gaming? (Neither is the Mac) but Valve disagree, big time, they’re going majorly in on it.

With SteamPlay, ProtonDB is a go to resource for reviews and tips.