CCP is planning a beta of EVE on mobile in some regions

Hey, not saying my idea is any good either! :slight_smile:

I was thinking something along the lines of EvE meets GTA Online plus a bit of Elite Dangerous. Kind of a wacky thing that might appeal to a greater audience.

But yes, probably a bad idea.

ED’s flight engine is gorgeously lovely though

So jealous

Just remember that Echo’s is its own server, so you’ll be mining on a server with only the mobile players

Yeah well Im a pessimist anyway

I dont really expect it to work in the first place

Because it’s an alpha and they want a smaller population to deal with. Nothing new in this.

1 Like

Eve Echos, it was announced a while ago.

It’s not for us. It’s for people who don’t play Eve. A new market to tap. And the effort of tapping is mostly by Netease.
We’re a mostly tapped market. Getting more out of us isn’t a sound business policy. Companies need to create new products, or they die.

6 Likes

You bring up a good point with reference to new markets and products, so I’m going to take advantage of it and interject with my thoughts.

Some appear to have a problem with differentiating between a product and the associated IP/branding.

As you say Eve as a game is what it is, it was never going to be the next World of Warcraft and its market is small. IMHO what gives it value is the stories that surround it, Eve has a well deserved reputation and that is part of what gives the IP and brand value.

CCP saw that long ago and tried to capitalise on it with Dust and Valkyrie, and they were ambitious with it, maybe too much so.

I think that the lessons learnt there are why CCP were open to overtures from other devs wanting to use the IP or Eve brand, and I think that the IP and brand is what Pearly Abyss primarily sought when they purchased CCP.

Eve, as a game, was never going to pay off PA’s investment, not without killing it and starting anew with something more mainstream. Other products using Eve’s reputation and IP are where the returns are for CCP and PA.

Eve could be considered a loss leader for other products if PA and CCP are doing what I think they’re doing.

2 Likes

Buying ccp also gives PA CCP’s management, for sales, marketing and so on. With western contacts that they were lacking.

3 Likes

There’s definitely value in that, soft value as in mostly social instead of directly fiscal returns, but value nonetheless

“Do You Guys Not Have Phones?!?” ™

3 Likes

Pfft

4 Likes

How old is EVE ? I mean, seems as though we are all still here adding value to the game in forums or logged online. Seems pretty popular hey? The oldest people around you may smell like moth balls and have wrinkles but they are gold due to wisdom and that they stood the test of time. Eve is your grandparents. Obey and play the god damn game when it comes out on Mobile. It is going to be golden. Then tell them what is wrong with it, and give them the same passionate feedback good or bad you give them about Eve. And it will be amazing. Good job Team.

2 Likes

in an ever-expanding sandbox

At a time when CCP is manipulating and redefining how that sandbox is used.

NetEase Games is part of PA or is this Another company that has the opportunity to cash in on the Eve name?

I’m really not upset by this. Mobile games are a huge market, and any game developer would be remiss to ignore it. I also believe that CCP, PA, and NetEase all recognize that Mobile gamers and core gamers, or PC MMORPG players are really not the same people. It’s going to be a mobile game made for mobile gamers, and it will probably be littered with microtransactions because that’s just the way mobile games work.

I hope it’s successful. Also, since the game engine was mentioned, I thought it was getting another update? I got the email about aether wars phase 2, still not sure what it is though. I didn’t sign up for it.

eve on mobile will fail big time mark these words…

CCP would be best set on a great game they already have. Making things like bounties or war decing a great feature rather then a quick fix. Stand back take a breath CEO’s then maybe you’ll understand eve

Hilmar for years has openly admittedly he never understood eve why the hell would you let a person who just don’t get eve make changers to eve, how stupid are the owners of eve or how removed from the game are they ?

This is not EVE on mobile. Target aren’t EVE players. Bad ranting attempt.

1 Like

I just want to gank mobile noobz, is that too much to ask? Most of those damn BR games have the option to select who you matchmake with, just let that be an option for the mobile scrubs.

I’m sure it’ll be plagued with scammers and bots from the get go, same as every mobile game, and EVE proper

That’s CCP partnering with someone who has some interesting tech for massively multiplayer games. It’s not an eve replacement. It’s not even really a game. It’s a tech demo that they’d like us to stress test, for distributing fights over multiple computers.

Implementing it in Eve would be, umm, somewhat difficult, but it’s experimental stuff.

1 Like

Hello Steve,

There are 15 people in my gaming group who don’t want to play EVE right now because its no longer fun for them. Maybe 15 people somewhere else in the world now think its fun and have started playing, but for now it feels very much like we’re not welcome in a game some of us have been involved in for eight years.

This new game, however unrelated it might be from the EVE development team, just feels like further evidence that CCP’s attention isn’t on the game that ‘put it on the map’ in so many ways.

New products? Whats wrong with making existing products better? Actually better, like Windows 7 was almost so good to be worth an upgrade from XP, rather than downgrades like Vista.

Right now EVE feels like its a couple people in positions of influence running around saying ‘No start menu is great, we want the UI to be consistent across desktop and mobile, bask in the awesomeness and tremble at the coming mobile domination we will bring’!.

I completely agree that once a market hits saturation the only way to grow is diversification, yet I can’t think of anything CCP made outside of EVE thats made the same advancements or with anywhere near the same brand recognition.

Its got the “EVE” name in it, it aught to have some relevance to Eve, or did the integration of DUST 514 into the EVE universe just raise expectations too high?

Has it ever been considered that the generation our grandparents belonged to had more of a clue about things than those that followed? We have all this technological advancement, yet its hard to feel like there’s more fun than the days of the 2600 and space invaders.

This would be nice, it just doesn’t feel like CCP is listening.

CCP have admitted before that some of the titles they have invested in did not result in as much benefit to the company as they had hoped.

Yes. Or are you insinuating that there was zero communication between the EVE Online and EVE Mobile teams? Sure, maybe there was no exchange of code, but its frustrating to be on the forum trying to point out how entosis trollceptors will be a problem while EVE gets a patch that’s “A pipe on the bowhead is upside down, k, thanks, everything else is working as intended, bye”.

CCP is like a millionaire complaining they run out of way to make more millions.

Money doesn’t buy intelligence or common sense. Perhaps this phrase is new to you?

Its an artificial limitation, solved by a simple VPN and some tech available on eBay, another example of life just being made more difficult for regular people and not doing much to the envelope pushers.

Excellent point. Though I’d hoped you’d bring up the fact that no new colonizable territory has entered EVE since, what J space became a thing?

Then only benefit I see to this is a situation like fortnite where all platforms can participate, since more people in space means more interaction, and interaction is good for games, right?

DONT U GUYS HAVE PHONES?!?!?!?!

omg… ccp… pls dont!!! :frowning:

1 Like