CCP lays of dozens and closes VR department

Any chance you can tell everyone at Evesterdam a bit more on this, this weekend?

Good luck CCP Manifest, after so many years.

1 Like

Quite unfortunate news, but really the problem is in:

1. low quality VR sets (low resolution, too much cables)
  2. lack of supply of VR headsets to the markets
  3. (despite 1) insufficient computing power to drive the VR hardware

However CCP got valuable experience working together with hardware devs. And that is very good head start.

WoW, so this happened

VR experiment has concluded.

Remove the obsolete units.

End of transmission.

:pensive:

1 Like

I think the main problem is that the whole VR thing is based on the wow effect which fades after a while. And after that hardly anyone wants to strap a heavy headset to the face just to play some game for an hour.

In other words: How do you even eat pizza with this thing on the head?

8 Likes

Hey Hilmar! If you offer these VR folks jobs working on EvE development I for one pledge to buy plex and such.

1 Like

Got a strong wish to stop working on CCP Games and unsub my accts. finally.

Cool…so…you won’t be wanting your stuff then…I would be most grateful to you for it.

3 Likes

While VR gaming may not be as mature right now, there are still plenty of applications of industry/medicine/education and the like for it, and CCP has done a good job on their tech. I kind of wondered if this could happen. Is the VR Tech being licensed or sold to another company, and when would we know more about this?

As always, much <3 to yall

People said many times that EVE is dying, even just from beginning. Its like a good charm it looks, as EVE is the best doing game from CCP, after all those years.

1 Like

U know nothing, so deserve nothing.

You who suddenly want to leave EVE, there is no need to fear anything. EVE is the most precious development CCP always had.

Best of CCP not the best of all. The kid appeared to be better than parrent.

1 Like

Ah, dang. :frowning: Done in by my abject ignorance again.

What kid? SC? Its completely other kind of game. Different scope entirely. And unfinished at that. Better Elite Dangerous. SC will never be a massive universe where one man actions can ripple thru the entire New Eden like a boulder thrown into a pool, affecting many lives.

Nowhere else knife in the back hurts so much. It all have meaning, its persistent world.

1 Like

Jeez interesting news, not expected but slightly expected, the biggest surprise of all of this is the drastic and massive move by CCP of a whole branch and 1/3 of CCP let go. Think of it as massive layoff and liquidation.

1 Like

Don’t worry mate u got some love of me :hugs:

Sad day for CCP in relation to their staff and I hope they all find new employment quickly.

Overall though, as a community we are often quick to criticise CCP when they don’t think big, so jumping into VR early was a sign of a company willing and in a position to take a huge risk. That’s a massive positive.

At the same time, being prepared to make a tough business decision is also a positive for the company, if not for the individuals.

So congrats CCP for being willing to lead in the industry and I hope you keep trying things. Sorry to the staff affected.

CCP should focus all their love for EVE and it will be a win-win relationship.

1 Like
2 Likes