CCP - Please let us group smartbombs!

Its a pain when all other turrets and missiles can be grouped up in a single F1 shortcut, and we smartbombers have to actually click a bunch of f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 f6 f7 f8 keys to do the same thing.

Any particular reason we cant group up smartbombs?

Make it possible please.

Thanks

----------- Extra Sauce Maybe ----------

1 Like

bump.

This is a fantastic idea really. As long as you’re only grouping identical smartbombs (just like with turrets and launchers), this would save keystrokes and potentially a lot of server load doing AoE calculations.

+1. Solid idea.

EDIT: Just tossing this out here, keep in mind that cap management will become a nightmare if you grouped a full rack of smartbombs because you’d need enough cap to fire them all at once instead of being able to stagger them. Doesn’t impact the quality of the idea, just pointing out that it would come with a downside.

Would mean the AoE hit calcs would only need to be done once per group, so there’d be a performance benefit too

1 Like

If you group enough SB can you one shot drones before they can be recalled with an opening salvo?

Unless you’re incredibly slow on the keyboard, you can already do that without grouping (assuming you have enough smartbombs to do sufficient damage).

Thanks to the magic of server ticks, it would be at least three seconds after you activate your first smartbomb before the drone’s owners could successfully issue a recall command (1 sec for your command to register, 1 sec for drone’s owner to see the damage, 1 sec for the recall order to register). And that’s assuming zero latency, and that the drones would exit smartbomb range immediately, so really it’d be more like 4 or 5 seconds at least.

If you can’t spam 1-8 inside of five seconds, you’re probably not going to have a good experience in EvE…

1 Like

Fun Fact:

Modern keyboards can only process four presses at the same time …
… and you pay extra for better ones.

Pieces of â– â– â– â–  manufacturers, I might add.

That’s an interesting fact actually. Thanks.

1 Like

It is indeed! You need a dedicated keyboard if you want to spark eight smartbombs in a single tick!

1 Like

I prefer them not grouped, sometimes when it’s late and I’m very deep into a bottle of rum it’s hard to tell which of the three shuttles landing on gate is the real one so I space the bombs out.

Or just convince CCP to let us group them.

#CCPlease

Some people love being F1 monkeys for everything.

unpoivrewq
Mine seems to do ok?!

Ref: the topic though I actually love this idea…BUT…for a different reason. Grouped smartbombs can be set to “continuous” mode or “peak” mode.
Continuous mode, they operate as you would expect when grouped.
Peak mode though, you get the damage of 1 smartbomb, but the range increases with how many you have in the group. Using the normal diminishing returns figures doubled (i.e 2nd module is 44%).
So a group of 4 tech 2 smartbombs would give you 12600m instead of 6000m.

2 Likes

That would be nice.

+1 for grouped smarties, This should be easy to code, why is it not a thing for the last 8 years ?

Also I liked Galaxy Raid idea of stacking for range, although that might be easier to code with scripts

Also can we rename them to DumbBombs cus they aren’t smart.
Smart bombs as established in lore in defender circa 1980 only kill hostiles

It would take a team of CCP developers six months to implement this change. All of their resources are currently committed to improving the NPE, so it cannot be done. Thx bye.

ikr, ship spin counter 2.0 is way more important.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.