CCP Policy on Throwaway Alpha Awox Accounts

Nobody forces you to rat in a cap when you are part of a group who leaves security holes.

1 Like

Git gud at API checks?

you do realize API is next to worthless for newbro accounts.

unless they do something really noticable like get isk from someone, or mail other corps and so on.

your not going to notice anything suspicious…

heck with newbro corps being part of alliances, this just makes it easier.

and alpha accounts, mean its free to do so. no paying to set up this awox

1 Like

Somehow, we don’t get caps awoxed as often as horde even if we have a few corps that accept a rather large amount of newbies. It’s almost like there is a way to do it and still let many new players in.

Friend, I don’t know what you want CCP to do. They can’t make someone who beats/betrays/AWOXes/thieves from you keep playing the game. They don’t have to keep playing this game just to give you a chance at revenge or satisfaction. Similarly they are not going to make someone who AWOXes you with one of their alpha accounts keep playing with that account, nor or they going to make some broad rule that you can’t engage in legal game play (like shooting blues) with that account just because it is an alternate alpha account.

Infiltration and spying are legal gameplay. Perhaps alpha accounts have lowered the bar for getting in on that action, but that is just one of the many unintended consequences of the addition of alpha accounts to the game. Everyone is effected the same so your group is going to have to adjust instead of begging CCP to revert their fundamental change to the game.

They aren’t going to make alpha accounts go away. Yes that is a buff to infiltrators, but it is one you are going to have to deal with. There is nothing against the rules in joining a group with bad intentions.

2 Likes

i’m not asking CCP to do anything other than tell me what their policy is on this as it was a concern they original said (people making alot of accounts, thus the “if you use alpha, no other account can be logged in”

if your allowed to make more and more alpha characters, use them to awox, and then throw them away. then ok.

but i want to hear them say that, because it goes against some of their older policies reguarding avoiding consequences of actions. (example, your not allowed to change your character’s name because of the reputation associated with it. this is to prevent throwign away names when you use them for these kinds of roles)

if they fine with it. then ok.

if they not, then they can address it.

plus, i’d like to hear if they are aware or not of you being able to play an omega and alpha at the same time(despite the lock) by using a 2nd computer, a VM, or a remote desktop connection.

as these are loopholes that make CCP’s efforts to prevent this…sorta worthless.

This I am sympathetic to. Abuse of alpha accounts (that is simultaneous login of them) has been an issue since they were introduced and their does seem to be an undercurrent of people bending the rules. But CCP has been clear that isn’t allowed and is against the rules.

That said, I still don’t see a direct link between someone shooting blues and abuse of alpha accounts. It’s possible someone is abusing alpha accounts, but it is equally and probably more likely someone is using an alpha as a cheap way into an organization and just calling their friends in.

the abuse comes from the use of an alpha and omega at the same time

they have an alpha come up to the target, (small tanky ship vs the target being large)

and scram it.

then their omega comes into system, warps to the alpha, and cynos in the fleet.

then the alpha gets kicked from corp, a new one gets made, and repeat.

so instead of continuing to use that alpha character, its used. thrown away, and a new one is made with a innocent record.

see here

not to mention, it throws away alot of good names…

if we can use alphas in this manner, then i don’t see why we can’t change our character’s names as well.

Is there evidence that the cyno is the same player as the scrammer? And the fleet that gets cynoed in, is that also the same player?

Closest I got is an ISD statement, which makes it clear either simultaneous alphas and simultaneous Omega+Alpha are illegal.

Awoxing is not illegal.
Repeated biomassing of characters can be construed as illegal if it is done to avoid certain consequences.
Abandoning an account, however, is not illegal.

Rule of thumb, is its the player that has signed EULA/TOS, not the characters.
The characters are just an extension of the player. The player is punished for transgressions, not the character.

In your case, I dont yet see evidence the awoxing alpha is run by the same player as the incoming fleet, simultaneously, albeit they are certainly working together.

PS: Inadvertently addressed to Pedro, meant for @Lasisha_Mishi.

Oh that is clearly against the rules. It says so clearly in the EULA to you can’t log in with more than one alpha simultaneously.

If someone is doing that they are in violation of the rules and effectively cheating. If someone uses an alpha account to start an AWOX and then joins in with another account of theirs, they are breaking the EULA. But if they use an alpha to tackle a blue and then just call in their friends that is perfectly fine.

The OP has no evidence there is alpha abuse going on. Heck, he has no evidence they are even alpha accounts. We all have extra character slots on our paid accounts that can be used as spies, and this will become much harder to detect next month when the old API goes away and character data become fully independent from accounts. Corporation infiltration is about to receive another buff then so if the OP and his group can’t handle the current situation, they are going to be in a real pickle.

Come May 8th Omega infiltrators even on the main account of a known enemy will become impossible to detect via the API. This problem isn’t going away and the OP and friends better figure out a way to deal with it.

You’d be surprised how many people (and whom) think its allowed or unclear, as shown in this thread:

Yeah from interactions I have had there is a significant section of the players who think it is fine and normal to (ab)use Alpha accounts this way. I would not be surprised if it is common or even if the OP is right and it is in this case.

But as we both noted it is against the rules already. However infiltrating with an alpha and calling in friends (or using an paid alt account and multiboxing) is perfectly fine and even if CCP could perfectly enforce the alpha concurrent login, the exact same gameplay could take place.

1 Like

@Lasisha_Mishi
Start collecting data/evidence of the characters associated in this behavior, and which raise your suspicion.
Names, dates, timestamps, killboards etc.

You can then submit it to CCP per ticket, under the suspicion that they are illegally using multiple non-omega accounts simultaneously. Dunno if CCP will investigate, but there may be some papertrail evidence linking the accounts such as names/email addresses/isk+material transfers/chats/periods of login etc.

You can update the same ticket whenever you have another suspect to report.

As Pedro points out, and as is the boiled down point of your grievance, is that if they want to do this legally, they must use two subbed accounts.

Someone here is exaggerating a non-issue again.

Why am I not surprised?

Potential TOS/EULA violations are not a non-issue.

I would add: it’s not only legal… but part of the the “Core” gameplay of EVE…:sunglasses:

I was not talking about your post, apologies if it looked like it.

You are right that having multiple Alphas running at the same time is a violation of the EULA, but that was not what the initial post was about, which I was responding to.

The OP is actually about two seperate things. One is about people throwing away Alpha “accounts” (it really should mean characters, no? it is … weird), the other is about people using several at the same time.

While the first is fine, the second - of course - is not. It does not change that certain people will try their best to exaggerate the issue. We will see and find out. 60 posts so far.

1 Like

Perhaps.

Its a big threat to caps to be awoxed in this way.
But yeah, its legal, as long as they are doing it with 2 subbed accounts, or just one Alpha/Omega at a time.

Hell, its frankly easier/cheaper just to infiltrate in an alpha, spy, share information to hunters and then point the victim at an opportune moment when the hunters are prepared. You don’t need two accounts to do this, and its cheaper with just one free one.

I think its unlikely that in OPs situation, its an illegal multiboxer.

And as to abandoning that account with the alpha afterwards, thats legal too.
Just make a new account, create alpha toon, and rinse-repeat.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.