Ccp response needed. whats being done to lower plex prices

Skill tading has made it like 100 times harder to find that balance.

Before skill trading, you had to go through a long skill training plan (in some cases several years) to get to the reliable, high ISK per hour activities.

With skill trading, you can start with these activties 10 min after character creation.

Result: Inflation. 1 billion ISK is nothing these days. Everyone who doesnt participate in the ISK/h race is left behind.

But dont worry! CCP is already reacting. With power creep: T2 captial modules, faction capitals, …

3 Likes

I dislike skill injectors/extractors, but there have been a lot of crying from newer players that they had absolutely no way to catch veterans SP wise.

I never understood that sentiment because, while skill points do allow you to fly different ships with different config, it tends to boil down to a player’s own experience & know-how more than anything else.

I believe skill injector was CCP’s answer to them.

Additionally, sooner or later, plex was going to be used for more stuff. When they broke old plex into micro plex we have now, this result was going to come sooner or later.

Edit: Finally, the more plex price goes up, the more likely that people will pay real money to get them to sell.

I dont think so. The more ISK you get for your PLEX, the less PLEX you have to buy with real money.
For example, a few years ago, you had to buy 3 PLEX (= 1500 micro PLEX) if you wanted to buy a dreadnaught with real money. Now you have to buy only 1 (500 micro PLEX).

2 Likes

Which is good. They will lose it fast and will buy more plex again.

Plex price is too low.

it’s instincts. there’s not much to understand. the idea of being inferior comes from themselves. it’s abused by other games, who feed off of the issues of these people (think: male teenagers-esque feelings of needing to prove themselves) by putting them on a path of fake “self improvement”, where they grind for a higher and higher status (levelling up) and the accomodating status symbols (better gear).

As they don’t know any better and as they tend to be incapable of thinking critically (especially about themselves), they tend to believe that this is the norm. an MMO not feeding on their issues is weird. it’s arguable if there is a point trying to educate them about it, especially because feeling inferior (and compensating it with imaginary status symbols) tends to be a norm nowadays.

So instead they get buyable SP, which helps circumventing them around the thoughts of inferiority. That’s a big part of people out there, next to other people who have other reasons, like skipping an initial lvl or two, or those unwilling to wait a year for the titan.

1 Like

I havent noticed major drops in risk aversion. Most players still wait for backup before they commit anything more expensive than a cruiser.

1 Like

When you look at it from a narrow perspective and a limited play style then yes, it’s too slow. But in reality it is too high.

you should mention the space you’re operating it, because it helps. people go to different space for different reasons. a lowsec person is significantly different from a highsec, or nullsec person, which, are more alike. sorry if you did and i missed it above.

A few years ago dreadnoughts where not nearly as ubiquitous as they are now. sure the big alliances had fleets of them, and if you wanted to be REALLY competitive in taking space you would need a few. but there was hardly a carrier in every hangar and a dread for every line member.

Power creep is a real thing, as is inflation, but to be on an even footing back then all you needed was a battleship, which one plex would buy you.

Skill injectors where a mistake.

Should have been implemented so that you can only transfer SP on the same character you extract from.

Lol, a bit late that concern right? Where was your voice on the matter when it actually could have changed anything? I warned about this exact scenario when they first announced it and the answer from the community was “you just hate change”.

6 Likes

Is this directed to me?

Yes it is. And all the other whiners who where ok with it because they cant think around a single corner to see how such things obviously play out.

4 Likes

So you’re just going to ignore the people who voiced their concerned about skill injectors when it was proposed? :smirk:

Anyway, if you think CCP were ever going to cancel there plans to earn more money from eve just because their players voiced their concerned, you are deluded.

1 Like

This was not against people who voiced their concerns. It is against people who dismissed the critics and now cry because they are personally affected by the exact thing they defended.

No I have no illusions CCP would cancelled them, the thing was practically implemented when they announced it. And they made probably a lot of money with this move so it was good for CCP, but seriously hurt the game in my opinion.

4 Likes

Bit of a newbie, but I’ll dare to weigh in anyway:

At first glance it would seem that, from CCP’s perspective, the skill injector system works a cash cow where whales buy PLEX to InstaTrain characters, which leads to inflation, which leads to PLEX being more attractive to buy for real money in order to get quick isk. This would be good for CCP, if it works, and for players with more money than time on their hands.

Have players been hoarding too much wealth in the game? If players have been sitting on PLEX and isk like Scrooge McDuck on his coins then that might be something CCP wants to change. More trained characters with less money might lead to more subscriptions and more active gameplay. Skill injectors as a cash sink would be good for CCP and for the game, possibly.

However it seems to me that the inflation is a very, very bad thing when it comes to the amount of work players have to put in. If you’re an Omega and are hoping to PLEX or to buy multiple character training time using isk, the amount of time you have to put in is doubled when the price of PLEX doubles. Gameplay is fun, but if you’re working towards a goal and the goal is twice as far away, suddenly, then that turns fun into work. We tend to get stuck in our ruts in games like these, and grinding kills games.

My suggestion (and I freely admit I don’t know much about the practicalities of this, and my suggestion might be crap) is that skill injectors are made to not be instant, and to require some maintenance; in order to slow the market down. Something, sort of, kind of like this: A skill injector will boost the training speed to 100x (or something) until it is used up, but you have to press a button or use a booster (or something) once an hour (or so) or the speed will start to decline until you do.

1 Like

EVE is a Western game with Western pricing. The fact that people in dirt poor countries have internet access does not change this fact. The last time CCP told us about where EVE playes come from, almost 90% came from ‘rich’ countries where $15 USD is a trivial amount.

The problem with plex is that it allowed people to think they were playing for ‘free’ and now that the isk cost is going up they think something is being taken from them. It’s not, it just reveals that many people are dumb enough to think a luxury item is somehow a necessity.

3 Likes

Fun thing in economic behaviour: perception problems carry greater weight than proverbial real problems. It’s a thing you also find in behavioural psychology and game theory.

It’s not like CCP hasn’t dealt with this kind of thing before. That said, there are some things which are a bit shaky, if we are to go by the response provided by @CCP_Phantom

1 Like

Actually CCP Phantom is not an economy dev in CCP so we may just ignore that response.

I didn’t see anyone say 15$ was 14.