Cleaning up

Adding a new item to the game is fun and exciting, but most of the excitement and fun wears off relatively quick in most cases. So all the ships and items in particular that are added over the years becomes kind of a mess.

So i would like to be part of a group that cleans up items in the game with as little annoyance as possible for players who may own them. Which is possible.

What I would start with given this oppertunity is ores. For example most ore has 4 base variants. In the case of Veldspar that is

• Veldspar
  • Concentrated Veldspar
  • Dense Veldspar
  • Stable Veldspar

The difference is one yields 5% more than the next. There are a couple issues with this because for people who buy ore, they need to maintain buy orders and liquidity for each one. They probably need to make a spreadsheet entry for each one too. And the more ores there are, the bigger this issue is.

There are also some funnier issues because when you compact Veldspar you get for example

• Compressed Concenrated Veldspar.

Which i think is kind of funny. But also for people who buy this or use it, they probably need a spreadsheet entry for each type of the Compressed, concentrated ores as well.

This is not something most people care about because they dont do this kind of stuff. But some people do and even if they they are few they can have a big impact on the economy, and the harder time they have the harder time the economy in a way has you can say.

From a mining perspective, i imagine warping into a belt and finding anything other than the best variant of each ore is also a bad experience. So there should only be one variant of each ore. To make life better for miners and the people who purchase and use their products for example.

But how do you go from 4 variants of an ore in a live MMO to just 1 without causing a big disturbance. That is the question? And that is the job of this small team to figure out if given the opportunity. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

This team could also serve a dual purpose of green-lightning new items and ships and potentially save the company money by acting as a balance of power to people who just want to add new stuff to the game without much thought.

Hi.

But what about the people who took time to develop the items that will get cleaned up? Wont they be sad?

Its possible. But they have made good money over the years which i believe was their main priority so they shouldn’t be too sad.

moved to Player Features & Ideas - EVE Online Forums

removed some off topic.

Ammo and weapons could also use a cleanup?

You convert all of the existing veldspar variants to stable veldspar and rename stable veldspar to just be called veldspar. Same for compressed versions and all of the various veldspar variant asteroids in the game.

As for tech 1, meta, and tech 2 modules… I think some use of colored text or colored icon borders like other MMOs would go a long way in helping newer players to understand the differences. Tech 1 (crafted) modules would be grey, meta 1 would be white, meta 2 would be green, meta 3 would be blue, meta 4 would be purple, tech 2 would be gold, and polarized would be red with a ( ! ) symbol on it somewhere warning players to investigate what polarized means. Faction and officer modules could also receive blue, purple and gold borders depending on their meta levels within the range that the faction modules in question exist.

For meta non-weapon modules like compact/enduring/restrained/scoped/ample you could color them all as green (and possibly add a small universal icon visual indicator in the corner of the item icon to denote the difference, like a small powergrid/cpu icon for compact, small energy symbol for enduring, etc.) while the tech 1 crafted versions are grey and tech 2 are gold.

If going the icon route and not the text route, then adding a small icon for each entry in the fitting simulation and market windows would also be needed so that the color variations could be easily seen when selecting from a range of choices.

If color blind players are a concern, you could add flags to the corner of each item like tech II, faction, deadspace and officer modules have. tech 1 crafted would be flagged as F, meta 1 would be D, meta 2 would be C, meta 3 would be B, meta 4 would be A, and polarized would be P. S-tier would basically be all of the tech 2/faction/officer etc. modules so no need to have an S flag.

I know your original idea was to clean up the redundant/bloat items in the game and I’ve gone off on a bit of a tangent, but I feel like giving new players an easier time comprehending and learning about the existing items would also help achieve a similar goal.

This seems like the simple solution where nobody loses. But it may not be possible from technical standpoint and there may be edge cases and something may even break. In that case it may be better to stop spawning ore other than the base variant, and then prevent the other ores from being bought and sol on market. They can still be reprocessed tho. But then also maybe have the NPC mining corporations allow players to convert the Dense, Stable & Concentrated Veldspar into Veldspar for example.

It sounds like a silly thing to do but when you realise there is like 20 different ores, and each one has 4 variants, it actually becomes a smart thing to do imo. Its the kind of scarcity type thing that players will actually appreciate in the long run imo. even if it has some inconvenience in the short run (main one being holders of Stable Veldspar etc. may feel cheated)

Regarding guns and turrets thats a completely different can of worms but if done right can probably make the game higher quality.
What @Zeokran brought up seem worth looking at closer. But on top the pricing is off, for example the meta modules are in many cases cheaper to buy than the base variant even tho they are better. I am told this is because only the base variant is usable in T2. I dont know what the solution is, but it seems nice if Meta modules could also be used in T2 production. I have to go into much more specifics but not at this point sorry. Have a nice day.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.