CODE. Bowheads are useless in Hisec

James315 is a character in the Eve universe applying a CODE of behavior to characters who operate in hisec based on his in game aim of being the savior of hisec, can’t get more Role Playing than that, it is role playing.

EDITED: Replaced people with characters

2 Likes

Do you mean James315 is trying to change the behaviour of the character “Miner 12345” or he is trying to change the behaviour of the RL player who controls “Miner 12345”?

This is where it crosses the line from in-game RP to the real world. The mixing of in-game and RL is the meta-game.

Corrected it, thanks:

I have nullsec characters and hisec characters, is he affecting my nullsec characters in game, or affecting me as a player when I am playing those nullsec characters?

1 Like

He’s still effecting how the player plays in high-sec.

James315 and the CODE don’t effect how I shop at a store in RL either…

The CODE, is about player behaviour modification. That breaks the “fourth wall” and brings it out of the game and into the real world. There are no “players” in-game and there are no “characters” in game either. There is also no “Eve universe” in-game, in-game it’s just “the universe.”

Honestly, I’m not sure what you are trying to “win” right now… I agree with you that CODE is RPing, but as I and CODE have already pointed out, “The CODE” is OOC for real in-game RPing. Therefore: RP of the meta-game.

Okay, and James315 and “The CODE” are unable to effect characters in any way, because the only thing that effects characters are the player who plays the character, other in-game characters through game mechanics, or NPCs.

If James315 were to undock (like that will happen :wink: ), and fly to a belt and shoot a “non-CODE compliant miner” then he would effect the character (his HPs) but it wouldn’t change a character’s behaviour… mostly because characters don’t have any behaviour.

Only if I have a character in hisec.

So what?

No, it is about applying rules that the character acknowledges that they follow by detailing that they the character has a permit on his bio. It is modifying the characters behavior while that character is in hisec which is claimed by James315. I have to have a character in hisec to be affected by anything that James315 and his followers do.

What, there are no players in game, just characters, and it is the Eve universe.

As a player with my nullsec characters logged on James315 has no impact, zilch, zero, rien … on me as a player, however as soon as I log on my hisec characters and do things that he declares in game that I must do within his CODE then he is affecting that character because I have to operate that character to take into account the threat matrix to that character while I am playing him in hisec. Let me break it down a bit further, there are many parts of hisec not touched by the dwindling number of CODE miner gankers, so as a character in hisec I can easily decide to operate outside of their limited area of control, by deciding that I am role playing a strategic decision based around CODE’s failure.

CODE are role playing.

1 Like

That’s what I said and you are arguing against.

• EDIT: But not the traditional in-game RP that has already been proved to not be the case.

No, there are no “characters” in-game.

There are Capsuleers who fly ships around and came through a gate, called the “EvE Gate”, from Earth many years ago. They live in the universe, there is no “Eve universe” because that would indicate a universe other than the normal real universe; which, in-game, is the only universe that exists, and all the Capsuleers live in.

Characters, a real world thing, do not have any behaviour. If I have a toon that has been sitting docked for 8 years on an account I haven’t logged into, it doesn’t behave in any way at all. The behaviour comes from the human side of the keyboard. Ships behave in a certain way through game mechanics, but that is obviously not the behaviour we are talking about.

Regarding the rest of your “logic”, it’s basically:

If it doesn’t effect all players in all places at all times, then it doesn’t effect any players at all.

Great, so you agree that he effects players if they play in high-sec.

You gave an example of James315 not effecting something a player does outside of high-sec, I did too.

Explain.

Non-compliant to what exactly?

2 Likes

I disagree with that statement, they are role playing.

You say that they affect the player and I would argue that some of their actions such as sending mails to wind up players and then reporting them when they react angrily is messing with the player even if the content is all about James315 and his claim to be the leader of hisec. The rest of the time their actions of blowing up miners to get them to buy a permit and acknowledge the CODE is role playing.

My example was in the game logged on with a character, yours was not. Your example was nothing to do with a character in game and was dishonest.

No idea what your point is here, my point is clear I have to have a character logged on playing the role of a character in hisec to be affected by the play of James315 and his followers (characters.)

Never said that at all, because it is the character being logged on and active in the area which he claims is being affected by the characters in CODE.

Remember that CCP pushed CODE to do this and there was a good reason for it.

1 Like

Hi Salvos (perhaps ‘Salvo’ would be more apt, in this case…).

In trying to preserve (i.e. ‘save’) the PvP flavour of Highsec I do in fact believe that James 315 is a Saviour. Without his influence we might already be flouncing about in a fluffy space theme-park. So, no RP there, I think.

I regard myself as an agent of the change he seeks to promote; hence, an agent. No RP there, either.

The existence of the permit is as ‘real’ as anything committed to a player’s in-game bio. It must certainly feel real to the gank recipient whose lack of one leads to the sudden diminishment of his net worth.

We’re not protecting ‘innocent space pixel rocks’, but the very life’s blood of EVE Online itself.

I’ve said elsewhere that there are certainly role-play elements in our work, of which players may take advantage if they wish. But that is very far from saying that the initiative is an out-and-out role-playing exercise. I would run a mile if it were!

3 Likes

I know. Everyone else reading this knows that you have “no idea”. (Your words, not mine.)

I don’t see how this chain is hard to follow (except what you say at the end that doesn’t follow).

I say it’s effecting a player

You agree that it’s effecting a player, but only one who is playing in high-sec. (Which was never being argued.)

I then expressed joy that you had some understanding.

I was mistaken.

Yes, some of their actions are out-of-game RP, therefore all of their actions are not in-game RP. Since in-game RP is limited to RP that is, well… “in-game”, We cannot say that CODE is in-game RP. Hence, “they RP the meta-game” which includes both some in-game RP and some out-of-game RP.

I see that you have problems with things like words and logic, But the discussion has gone something like this:

• You: it’s red
  • CODE troll: nope, see that blue part, it can’t be red
  • me: There are red parts and blue parts, maybe we could call it purple?
  • You: No we can’t call it purple, it’s red and only red!
  • You: Sure there are some parts that aren’t red. But it’s still red!
  • You: Yes, those parts that aren’t red are blue, But it’s still red!
3 Likes

Personal attack how droll.

Oh look at this putting silly words in my mouth, is there any other forum troll play you seem to have missed out on?

What a pathetic forum poster you are.

Is what you said, and I said no.

If you understood the history of CODE you would not be putting yourself up for a verbal bashing and resorting to the tricks above. The intention of CODE is to attack the player, always been the case, in fact its deeper than that, they wanted to attack CCP for not following the ethos of the game in their opinion. aka can flipping, and we get a great racking sob from the player behind James315.

Being the type of players that they were they hated role players and the like, so the GM made them role play to be able to do this, it is an utterly fantastic troll by that GM and every time I see them talk about the savior of hisec and refer to the CODE I laugh inside a lot.

I role played my character while in hisec to resist CODE, Miniluv and the Goons, all their feeble attempt to get at me I laughed at.

So they are having to role play, there you go.

EDIT: Imagine if they sent a gloating email without mentioning the CODE, James315 etc., ad nausea, what happens then? The thing is you are misunderstanding the basis that to be able to do what they are doing they have to act as if they are role playing. Period and I can react as a player by role playing my characters when I interact with them and I did.

Nothing more to say.

2 Likes

Run away and cry please, but it was fun, for me at least.

1 Like

No running or crying. I came in on your side of the argument, and you were to dumb to see that. You then ran in circles trying to “disprove” my agreeing with you. :confounded:

But yes, you win the internet. Here is your :crown:

2 Likes

No you did not, here this is what you said:

You were not agreeing with me or Salvos period, if you cannot even get what you said right what the hell can you get right? And seeing as you called me dumb the dumb is all on you…

1 Like

All of their RP is not in-game, some of their RP in in-game, as CODE has pointed out, as I have pointed out, as you have pointed out and agreed to.

It’s not my fault if you don’t understand the difference between “all” and “some”.

As far as this thread is concerned, my post was “anti-CODE” in that it was telling CODE, “yes you are RPing, so shut up with the ■■■■■■■■ claim that you don’t RP. Of course it is different than the in-game only RP that you, CODE, are citing as the only thing that can be RP.”

But, you failed to see this and started arguing with me as if I was pro-CODE

“I’m rubber, you’re glue” is that were you are going? LOL LMAO

1 Like

You made a definite statement at the top of your post where you said it was not RP, I disagreed with the statement even though you qualified it below that. So why come out with such a definite statement if that is not what you were saying?

Anyway I have some RL stuff to do, but seriously, why make a definite statement at the top like that if you do not mean it?

1 Like

The quote at the top is the “qualified” one.

What someone is saying is more than one word, or one piece taken out of context. What I was “saying” was the entire post.

Sticking nose in
But it seems to me that the CODE as an organisation cannot be an RP organisation
but the actions of its members when they play the game and talk as capsuleers in game, can be considered RP when they talk ‘as if’, the CODE was an entity in New Eden, as opposed to the actual organisation CODE.

GSF are not an RP alliance, but the Mittani IS Role-playing in any sense of the word _I understand_when he speaks IC in propaganda videos or state of gooniun or whatever they call it - this applies equally to characters like Lord Maldoror from Rooks and Kings when he speaks IC- but R&K are not an Rp organisation and would not identify as such?

It is just being IC and OOC, depends on realising it is a game, both kinds of RP valid and both depend on realising it is a game?

When a code agent replies 'Calm down miner! You know the CODE always wins" they are Role-Playing a space based operative of an organisation, no one is really shooting rocks or mining, the conversation may even be taking place on forums-

“Calm down miner” is not directly speaking about AFK, risk/reward, Highsec etc. It may be a clever way of using roleplaying to make those points though.

Also, I would say risk/reward; never undock what you cannot afford to lose; highsec/nullsec balance-
THIS is the lore of the capsuleers, as the capsuleers in New Eden are immortal space gods, whose own alliances have dwarfed those of the empires by a huge margin
I would argue any competent capsuleer, role-playing a capsuleer in THIS WORLD would need to know about risk and reward etc.

I get that CODE players also discuss the game as a game and this is clear from minerbumping.com, and posts like yours, and the main motivation behind the organisation may be to play the game as a game

But RP ‘in the trad eve sense’ do OOC stuff also.

Just my 2p.
But I think I am big fan of CODE because they make RP emergent and engaging and not relying on someone elses story, or generic sci-fi imagery and ways of speaking-

and no one can RP at all together unless they first have a conversation ‘shall we play’ so I don’t get how the existence of OOC agendas etc make CODE RP not RP?

Also, I can read THE NEW HALAIMA CODE OF CONDUCT IC, and expect that my character in this universe would understand the context and meaning of every word IC, though the IC context may change the IC meaning of terms like ‘player’ and ‘EULA’-

I am not trying to argue semantics but to demonstrate why I think whoever wrote
THE CODE
was pretty pretty pretty good
at writing and RP and a very clever individual indeed-

especially if we judge a work’s worth by the amount of commentary and criticism it creates, as well as by the style in which it provokes that reaction

TLDR: some people don’t take their RP seriously but its still RP to me
and some of them are damn good at it

1 Like

My opinion is that CODE is in game role playing ,so we disagree which is what I keep saying.

The thing is that they do not see themselves as role playing because they have the objective of going after players and CCP, furthermore they have contempt for people who role play, but they are having to role play. You can slice and dice it however you want, but when I was reacting against them as the character Dracvlad when I was in hisec I was playing against their statement that they controlled hisec and had the right to charge people 10m for permits and also that I did not accept James315 as the savior of hisec.

All their feeble attempts to play me failed, my forum game is different because while I am posting under the name of Dracvlad I am not in any sense role playing. And the only ones doing that are them with this savior of hisec stuff.

So please get it right.

1 Like