CODE. is a bad thing

If you want one example we could talk about lets use this thread:

No insults in this one (still searching for the one i read yesterday which was FULL of it).

In the above post you clearly see where more harm could have come to eve than help.
The player clearly didnt understood some things like cloaking, insta warp bookmarks and docking in general.
The first answer he got was a CODE RPG answer he clearly couldn’t understand, containing a treat without any explanation or help whatsoever.
A few players answered him, helped him to show what he didn’t understood, what he did wrong and how he could improve. In between a lot of more RPG, in this case we could even clearly state those as troll posts since it was clear at that point the the player didn’t even understood the RPG of the first CODE answer.
A lot of further explanation posts later the player showed what he learned. In between even one Code player who understood there might be better results to approach that topic with real helpfull answers.
The post got closed. Thankfully the player allready had his answers which helped him become a better EVE player.

So why the first unhelpfull CODE answer on that post to a player who just wanted some things to be clarified.

Another situation ingame I experienced a few days back.
A new player (not in my Corp this time) got can flipped and well he did what you propably assume. He got killed because he counterflipped.
That in itself was OK and even helpfull because the player got to learn from that because I described what he did wrong and how he should handle such situation. The point here is what the CODE player did:
He didn’t help the new player (in first mining frigate with fits, his sole money investment he had to that point in eve i later learned).
He called the new player a dumbass, literally baited him, laughed at the new player and went on his merrit live after stating the standard Code messages. No explanations, no help, no nothing.

Thats not what improves EVE. Thats behavior what destroyes eve. This new player wasn’t petty didn’t even complain in local. All he did was asking in local what happened. He clearly didn’t even understood what exactly happened. What he got for that was being insulted and laughed at.
I went to a convo with the player and set him up with cheap new mining ship and about an hour instructiuons into eve basics. Turned out it was quite a nice player who was playing since 2 days and was just learning the basics.

The gank was fine and helpfull, the reaction of this CODE player shamefull and I really hate even being in a Community with someone behaving like that to a new player.

But thats not what Code allways does!
Just to clearly state that here another example which I loved.

A Code player ganked a Retriever Pilot sitting in his for him proud first mining barge - you might guessed it, it wasn’t even fully fitted. No Tank no nothing. No sec stuff like prepositioning for warp out, you get the gist.
The Retriever player dies and while he did answer in local he didnt insult, he asked what he can do to prevent such ganks in the future. He was kinda bummed that he lost his first pretty expensive ship.
What he got from the CODE player in this case? Explanations in local what he did wrong. How he can improve. And even an invite to gank with him to learn how its done.

That helps EVE!

The OP clearly asked what we thought about CODE. So I hope these 2 examples show why I love but sadly why I hate CODE too and why some things they do clearly harm EVE instead of helping.

3 Likes