[Completed] Extended Downtime Notification - 26 October 2021

Show the data source.

Also long term from peak to current.

I wanna go back to 1993, but that’s because 21 was a good year :wink:

1 Like

indeed mine being the one that actually affects the revenue

Show the time series data source and chart.

Well, this is the source he cited…

https://mmo-population.com/r/eve/

5 year monthly break down of MMO populations.

Where does CCP release that data?

EVE Online 5 Year Subscriber Stats - MMO Populations & Player Counts has the subs in it too apparently (all time high)

Where is the original CCP data source to verify this against?

Define “sub”, CCP now sell PLEX, like World of Warships doubloons.

Best wishes guys thats a lot of IT’ing. May you find the bugs and hidden cables quickly and not pass out from the smell of new hardware (seriously new kit is probably not a healthy smell).

Looking forward to the future. May the SAN boot for the thee. Also don’t forget security!

2 Likes

someone who has subscribed to the game? it makes no difference how. except I guess CCP gets more money from people using plex?

“You guess”, we need raw source data to verify against.

okay… ccp does get more money when people sub via plex is that better?

CCP doesn’t. That doesn’t mean it can’t be calculated. Also…

Here. That’s a link to Pearl Abyss’s quarterly revenue report for their investor call from Q2 of this year. You can see on p06 that EVE brought in 18.1 billion won (roughly $15.5 million) in Q2 of this year, up from 17.6 in Q1. Overall, since Q2 of last year, there’s been fluctuation, but 18.9 won → 18.1 won isn’t a meaningful change.

Looking back on the Q3 2020 presentation (which I won’t upload, but here’s the relevant page):

We can see that EVE’s revenue is up from 2019, overall. (edit: Ugh, stupid multilayered image. Fixed now.)

2 Likes

SAN’s are not cheap, not even on the used ebay market. Other enterprise gear is, just not SAN hardware :slight_smile:

Didn’t they also license their IP and technology, or sell some IP and technologies? Wouldn’t that also be revenues?

Also, what are their operating costs? How much more is going AWS to cut costs?

I promise, the licensing income from Valkyrie and Echoes are negligble, and those agreements have been in place for as long as Echoes has been in development. Since it was announced at Vegas in 2019 or 2018, that means even in the Q3 2019 data, that licensing deal is already part of the numbers.

Operating costs are, if anything, down, since they haven’t been flying people all over the world for EVE meets like EVE Down Under, and they’ve moved most of their server-side work to the UK, instead of the higher CoL in Iceland. Also, that doesn’t impact revenue, only profit. Which, unfortunately, we can’t break out from PA’s operating expenses/profit.

What we can see from PA’s numbers (look on p07 for Q2’21) is that PA on the whole has had their operating costs go up… but that’s hardly suprising, since they’re developing Crimson Desert.

And, if more is going to AWS to cut costs, that would, y’know, cut costs. You don’t pay someone to cut costs if it’s gonna make things more expensive.

1 Like

Yes I do, I checked SAN prices on ebay, managed switching hardware is cheap, SANS’s are not.

For example, go check HP pricing for rack modules.

Xeon Proliant servers (except checked memory isn’t as cheap), cheap, Procurve Managed Switches (Arubas are more pricier), cheap, SAN’s, not cheap.

I am referring to the USED ebay market that us commoners use.

What do I know, I have a stack of Procurves here, they practically give them away on ebay, try getting cheap SAN hardware on ebay.

I think they already mentioned twice that AWS isn’t an option for EVE albeit I do not understand exactly why - probably because that would also include the necessary rewrite of their backend to fit AWS distributed landscape.

EVE uses AWS for a number of secondary things, as I understand it. Like the chat system.

1 Like