[COMPLETED] Extended Downtime Notification - 8 May 2020

I guess the DDOS-ing wasn’t planned by CCP.

Asheron’s Call came out 1999 (or very close). Before that Ultima Online

DDoS by definition does not really have a single source. It’s DISTRIBUTED Denial of Service. While it CAN be done by a single host controlling multiple “zombie” systems, either owned or otherwise authorized for use by the host, or infected by malicious software, aka malware, it’s easier to do through use of multiple hosts each controlling multiple “zombies”.

Going to need lots of glitter then

it’s almost impossible otherwise all of them already been in a jail

Thanks for taking steps to try and make it harder to attack. The players appreciate it.

3 Likes

Beer and pizza is life :100:

1 Like

I for one will only be tolerating this as long as it goes on. Not logging on has just given me time for a hearty breakfast! Thank you CCP :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s what I don’t quite understand.

All connections in the world are allocated by ISP (internet service provider). So every connection can be traced back to a legal entity.

The difficulty is to know who is making the connection for legal purposes and who for illegal ones?

Thanks for putting the effort in CCP.

Don’t forget VPNs. But most DDoS attacks come from botnets, simply infected systems being sent commands by a central controller. It’s pretty much impossible to trace it back to that central controller that is merely instructing the bots and in no way connecting to the target.

2 Likes

I bet one of y’all writting comments here like “Well done CCP! Thank you for the great job you are doing! For 4 hours our lives are meaningless without EVE! Thank you so much!”… is the “master behind the disaster” =)))

Pretty sure the signal between telecom towers is of a different frequency from the satellites and the wifi towers. It would be reported and trump space missiles would be launched to blow up elons satellites. A piece of satellite would hit a passing alien craft starting a war that humans lose and the earth is sterilized. Or it could be all the people sitting at home instead of work, watching youtube, streaming movies, skyping and so on overloading the telecom servers.

just want to appreciate the work of engineers and support team:

5 Likes

And still. all connections go through known nodes. Then you have to warn the ISP that the suspicious devices in their IP pool are whitewashing and, in case of doubt, sealing off the whole area.

In the past, the problem was that one did not have infinitely free IPs available (IPv4). With IPv6, one could assign unique IPs to all devices worldwide and thus block everything in a targeted manner.

Here we go! TQ is up and accepting connections.

10 Likes

Therein lies the problem. There are ways of masking and spoofing your IP and MAC addresses. There are legitimate and illegitimate systems for such, as well as VPN systems that encrypt traffic, and systems that route from one IP to another and another. You can even set up IP packets to show false origins, so someone tracing them gets sent to the wrong origin point. Someone who is truly wanting to hide themselves can, with a little bit of effort.

I’m just going to blame Comcast, probably Time-Warner cable too. AT&T also. Damn you Telecommunications Act of 1997!

2 Likes

You might want to read up on how this works and how easy it is to hide traffic and their sources.

Here we go, Thank You CCP Staff!!! Remember the glitter.