This is going to be a rather lengthy post, but I’m seriously considering playing EVE Online again, and I’m trying to figure out if the game is actually something that would work for me or my current life situation. I’ll also be posting this on the game’s subreddit as I want to make an informed decision.
Okay, some backstory first, I first played EVE all the way back in 2007 when I was 17 years old. I played for a while, but due to not having a credit card and my sources of EVE timecards running out, I was forced to quit. A few years later, I returned, and joined a Gallente FW corp, and I’ve been pretty much doing dropping in and out of the game between hiatuses, always joining Gallente FW corps when I got back. I last touched the game all the way back in 2013. So while my in-game character is over a decade old, I still very much am and feel like a newbie.
I like the idea behind the smaller scale PvP I saw during my FW times; the enormous blobs of alliance battles don’t really appeal to me. That said, I barely visited nullsec before. I still don’t quite know if it’s a good place to find smaller scale PvP fights, but back then the consensus was that it simply wasn’t worth it as you’d get blobbed.
Now here is the problem I’m facing: I simply don’t know if EVE is a game worth returning to for me. I have much more responsibilities now than I did before, so I will get less hours in, and I can’t commit to playing set hours. Also, while I did enjoy my time with PvP, and would like to return to it at one point, I’m also fascinated by the industrial site of things, and would love producing some items. And frankly, I’ve always been a sci-fi fan, so I wouldn’t mind shooting at PvE things with a Battleship either (I flew frigates in PvP to reduce losses).
Sadly, due to my FW past, Caldari space is essentially closed-off to me. If I’m not in FW, I think I’m just barely above the standing where the navy always gets called in. Furthermore, though I wouldn’t mind playing FW again, I fear it will just prevent me from doing any other stuff like PI, industrialising, etc. It seems to me these playstyles are mutually exclusive to each other.
I don’t like the idea behind alts; I never did, and when the militia kept making clear that to be efficient at things people needed hauler or scout alts, that was kind of an argument for me to stop playing as well.
So, I’d like to genuinely ask your opinions. Is it worth returning to EVE? Should I join FW if I were to? Or are there better ways to get small-scale PvP action? And would doing so block me off from the industry side of the game? Could I even be efficient at this game due to my limited time available? Do you really need an alt to achieve anything?
I found EVE to be an information overload at times in the past, and that’s still the case today. I checked the Alpha Clone version of the game yesterday, but was a bit confused by how much had changed, and other things I had forgotten. Several questions stuck out though:
- So are clone grades gone now? If your pod gets destroyed, SP is no longer destroyed as well if you are in an underclassed clone?
- Is PI and industry worth it in high-sec? Do I need to be part of a corporation for this to be worth it?
- What exactly is exploration for? Does it spawn resource or combat sites? And if so, is the purpose of a combat site to get back to it with a PvE combat ship? Or do you need to take the challenge inside on with whatever ship explored the site?
- How is Low-sec nowadays? When I quit, nobody in my region would go out for Industry or PvE (well, if you don’t count FW plexes I guess) there. I’m not looking for targets, but I take it you can’t do much industry or PvE there because you’re just painting a target on your back?
- What’s a good resource for information nowadays? I still find a lot of guides that are years old online, but I have no idea anymore if these are still applicable or not.
- Is Discord essential for most corporations? I guess I’m still not used to the application; messages just spill in there and I feel like I always have to alt-tab to read what’s going on, taking me out of whatever game I’m playing. I find it extremely annoying to be honest. I also just realised I sound like an old fart.
So yeah, lots of things to think about, and I’m very confused. I’d very much appreciate all of your feedback so I can figure this out. If you’re of the opinion that the game probably isn’t worth it for me at the moment, that’s fine. I’d love to hear your opinion about that, after all.
I appreciate any feedback you’re willing to give me, and thank you for your time.
Have a pleasant day!