CovOps fit for exploration question

I’m trying to optimize my exploration, especially during the very rewarding Capsuleer Day event. Atm I don’t intend to get out of lowsec so we can avoid the nullsec bubbles problem.

I’ve started working on my own Helios fit, and I can’t for the life of me understand where the significant difference between Inertial Stabilizers and Nanofiber Structures is, and that’s my first question…

For my second question, here’s some context: I’m in a system with a guy with suspect status, I warp to 0 in a site and his hecate is just waiting there, uncloaked. I get tackled and the rest is history. 200% my fault. I died in an Anathema with 1 Nanofiber Structures and 2 Inertial Stabilizers in my lows.

So I thought, what the hell do I even have those for?
Let’s pretend I’ll be a bit smarter about it next time: I’m in a wormhole, I warp to a site, there’s an astero cloaked where I land, it tackles me and I die. Same thing no matter how stupid I am.

My align time is nowhere close to the align time of an interceptor, so no matter how many Stabs and Nanos I put in the lows, I’ll be targeted and tackled faster…right? I’d like to know if I’m wrong.

Wouldn’t I be better off putting warp stabilizers in my lows, with maybe one nano for comfort?
Or hell, all warp stabs?
'cause honestly, in my head these are the scenarios:

1. the ganker is high and warps 50km away, I warp out
  2. the ganker is not high and warps to me or lurks cloaked until he’s in range, then he tackles me, and then praying I don’t get alpha’d, I warp out
  3. the ganker is at the gate, my align time is not ideal but I have a goddamn CovOps cloaking device so I warp the hell out no matter what

TL;DR roast this fit

[Helios, *Simulated Helios Fitting]
Warp Core Stabilizer II
Warp Core Stabilizer II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Data Analyzer I
Relic Analyzer I
Scan Rangefinding Array I
5MN Microwarpdrive II
Scan Acquisition Array I

Sisters Core Probe Launcher
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

Small Memetic Algorithm Bank I
Small Emission Scope Sharpener I

Sisters Core Scanner Probe x24

so
several comments

1. use your dscan, or warp to the site cloaked (that’s what anathemas and covops are made for). If there is another ship in the site (hecate or anything else), don’t warp to this site, or don’t decloak. Don’t expect any fit to help you to survive to any fight against a dps ship This is a pvp game, you cannot face a dps ship with non combat ship. Be smart.
  2. if you are already in a site and an astero decloaks, he will have a delay of several seconds before being able to lock you, so you have to pay attention to your overview (which is not easy when you are focused on hacking) and warp out.
    Only bombers can decloak and lock you immediately
  3. for the difference between in stabs and nano, use the in game fitting tool to see how ut changes your align time etc.
    Warp core stabs can help, but not so much, as tacklers have usually several points strength to tackle you.

the best advice i can give you: when your skills (scanning/hacking) and your experience in hacking are high, use an insta-warp travel ceptor to scan and hack sites. You loose the hull bonuses for hacking and scanning but you are really harder to catch except if you do a mistake

3 Likes

D-scan ffs…

Pyfa says that with skills at lvl 5 astero has 5 second delay before he can target anything. Solution: fit for faster align that this and just warp of when he decloacks

Try something like this:

[Helios, *Simulated Helios Fitting]

Inertial Stabilizers II
Inertial Stabilizers II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Data Analyzer I
Relic Analyzer I
Scan Rangefinding Array I
1MN Afterburner II
Scan Acquisition Array I

Sisters Core Probe Launcher
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II

Small Low Friction Nozzle Joints I
Small Gravity Capacitor Upgrade II

Sisters Core Scanner Probe x24

Warp stabs are useless. Any explorer hunter will carry faction scram. It’s simply mandatory to have. Hacking rigs are waste of slots. Just get better at hacking game. Learn about rule of six and rule of nine (Decent guide here). You use faction probe launcher that really bump up ship value. With t2 scanning frig. bonus to scan strength is again useless. Bonus from hull, skills and sisters probes is enough to scan everything in just few scans. With so much value you might as well get astero with sub 2s align and be almost uncatchable in lowsec unless you will make mistake. Investment should be not much higher than your helios.

1 Like

Comfortable rigs to compensate for my skills. I’ll put in Nozzle Joints the moment I can fit Data and Relic analyzer T2.

And sure I can fly an astero with sub 2s align but scanning strength with Astero isn’t as strong as it is on a CovOps with max skills

well, I gave you some option to think of. Survivability vs ease of hacking/scanning. it’s up to you to find your sweet spot between the two.

Greed kills. I learned that way to many times. That’s in my previous reply I’m quite strongly biased to one side. also, don’t underestimate power of local. With covop cloak it’s 99% of times up to you to decide if you want to take the risk. sometimes is just better to go to another system.

I’d say head into null, I think your assessment of the risks/rewards are off:

• Nullsec is much quieter than lowsec, and outside of entry systems and major alliance homes finding actively defended bubble traps is very rare. Most systems are either empty, or only occupied by gila/ishtars who are very unlikely to be seeking to actively hunt you.

• The quality of the relic/data sites is higher than lowsec and on par with wormholes, but without so many extra signatures that you find in wormhole space.

• While this doesn’t really apply to the astero or the helios (only 2 highslots), neutral pilots in nullsec in covert ops ships are viewed as a potential hunters for a black-ops gang. Locals will be cagey about hunting you for fear of getting hot-dropped.

With proper use of local chat + zkill to only explore when there’s no pvp-threat players in system, you’re 99.5% safe. Outside of the rare situations where a hunter already has your site bookmarked you can watch for hostile probes nearby to know when to head out.

On the topics of fits, I prefer full nanofibers in the lowslots. The combination of speed and agility makes it safest for running through the occasional bubble trap (which can be quite a fun opportunity to use your manual piloting skills).

With good scanning skills, you may want to swap out a rig for a hyperspatial rig as there’s a lot of warping around (or even fly a pacifier).

1 Like

Thanks for the help guys. I’ve been in lowsec mostly because of the event. I think I’ll stay in lowsec and jump in a wormhole every once in a while for the better nullsec loot.
I’ve received more help than I thought I would!

Honorary mention to the guy that said: “be smart”.

I’m gonna go for an astero for now, better scanning skills will make up for its lesser scanning traits, and I can’t say no to -2s align time

also, check incoming changes about nullification: it seems that covert ops will be able to fit the nullification module, which help them to escape bubble camps in null. Of course you will still be catchable in sites, while hacking.

yep just saw that. Makes a helios a lot more viable now. I’ll still lack the -2s align but it’s great not to have to train into a t3c just to survive gatecamps anymore

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.