Crash and Freezing - Any advice would be appreciated

Hey Linux players,

So, lately, have I been experiencing a frequent day over day issue with my two gaming EVE clients.

This relates to freezes when playing my client accounts (I have two accounts).

How those play out (one account and running two accounts).

• If playing one character the game will freeze after about 3-4 hours of sitting in the station or flying around.

• If playing both accounts at the same time, it will be about 1.5 - 2 hours of sitting or flying and then freeze.

When this started occurring last week, I figured I wasn’t doing updates right, my repos were wrong, or that I had installed extra stuff I wasn’t sure of. None of these fixed this issue.

Please excuse me as I learn my way through Linux and work to become more advanced with this OS. Below, I will be providing what specs I have.

Then, I attempted to try two different options to get a launcher for EVE:

• Steam (linux)
  • Linux Launcher

Specs:

Operating System:
Linux Mint
GUI: Cinnamon

uname -an:
Linux (XXXXXXXX) 5.4.0-42-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 10 00:24:02 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
Address sizes: 43 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s): 12
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-11
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 6
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
CPU family: 23
Model: 1
Model name: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor
Stepping: 1
Frequency boost: enabled
CPU MHz: 2741.485
CPU max MHz: 3200.0000
CPU min MHz: 1550.0000
BogoMIPS: 6398.98
Virtualization: AMD-V
L1d cache: 192 KiB
L1i cache: 384 KiB
L2 cache: 3 MiB
L3 cache: 16 MiB
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti]
nvidia, 450.57, 5.4.0-42-generic, x86_64: installed

To say this is really challenging and a bit wearing is a positive way to share it… :stuck_out_tongue: I just can’t figure out what I don’t understand.

Sorry if this issue is super simple to answer and I am just not using SE’s well enough.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. :slight_smile:

Are you using DXVK?

Thanks for the question.

I did an apt version dxvk and this was returned:

1.5.4+ds1-2

So, new news, too… lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Now it seems after doing just some random updates the game is working more stable but music and sound in general are all messed up. LOL

Now the world sounds are intense and playing UI Speech and Music are at 100 but sound like they are at maybe a 2…

I dont’ know what I am breaking here… lol

You should make sure that you are actually USING dxvk. Installing it via apt is insufficient. You should run “/usr/bin/dxvk-setup i” (Debian) to replace DX binaries in game folder. Then go to Launcher folder “cd ~/.wine/drive_c/EVE/Launcher” (by default) and run “WINEDEBUG=-all wine start evelauncher.exe”. DXVK log messages should appear in the console if DXVK is in use (e.g. info: DXVK: v1.5.4). Also check launcher settings. You should not force DX9 mode (Disable “Run clients with DX9”).

A other Way to run Eve would be Lutris.
I also run Linux Mint(19.3) with Lutris Launcher , and im very happy with it .
Only little Problem i discovered in now more then half a year running it, is that the Launcher crashed after around 4 hours or so…but no problem, if you pin your Accounts, just close it and restart…
After a fresh install a few days ago, it seems to be not occuring anymore ( dont wanna jix it :smiley: )
So, from my Side i would suggest you to give it a try…( get the DXVK+Esync-Version of the Installer)
Take a look on these Links, there is pretty much all explained what you need to do, to get it to work.

https://lutris.net/

I run the Eve-uni standard install of of Eve on Mint 17.3. The launcher sometimes crashes for no apparent reason, but it’s easy enough to restart it. However, it will sometimes leave a ‘ghost’ of the crashed launcher still running, so it’s worth going into the system monitor and killing that before you restart it, otherwise you’ll be wasting memory.

Hey everyone.

Sorry for my delay; I work some crazy IT hours and didn’t have time in the last moments to return here.

Thanks everyone for your replies, btw.

So, so far I have found that the EVE-Uni version has been very stable. I left the system running for 3 days straight (of course there were server restarts so… that was the only kick out I received) and it stayed stable. I did a lot of different activities and nothing caused a freeze, crash, or other form of experience. htop showed that the system was running well over all, too.

The only negative experience I have thus found with this more stable fashion is the missing and my favorite experience in EVE: the music…

This is of course not a stopping point as I just play the music in the background off my computer speakers via other platforms. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again all! :slight_smile:

Let me ask after you launch the game are you leaving the launcher open?

If so close it and leave it closed until you need to launch a new eve window again and see if this helps.

I run on Linux mint 20 and do not have any issues running eve under steam

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.