CSM member Jin'taan SCARED for EvEs future after Csm Summit

23k playerbase?

How do you figure such a lowball number (the playerbase is 10-15 x that number)?

Sorry was meant to be 23 average online according to eve status monitor.

23k ACCOUNTS on line averagely and some players have over 250 accounts. I only have 4 accounts. So if there are 100k ‘individual’ players most just log on to change training or so. Not sure as only CCP knows.

Ghost training waves hello

@Jin_taan are you able to elaborate on what some of the problems are in your opinion or the csm’s opinio without divulging anything or breaking NDA from the summit.

That’s the Peak Concurrent Users, that is, the most players that logged in simultaneously that day. The measure over periods longer than a day it’s the Average PCU.

FAI, the all-time average it’s 37k, with this year’s ongoing average at 34k. The average for the last year (365 days) it’s 35 k, as the impact fo Alpha clones and the F2P is fading.

Anyway tracking the health of the game with PCU is difficult for different reasons, but one thing is for sure: PCU is going down since 2013 and the beginning of the current development plan (the Rubicon Plan).

To some (including me), this means that CCP made a bad move with this development plan.

There is way more than 100K.

The most recent stats presented by CCP at Fanfest 2015 showed an average of 420,000 unique players logging in on average each month during 2014:

The numbers are down, some estimates as low as 250,000 players, but more reasonably there are still a touch over 300,000 players, though we can’t know that exactly without updated data from CCP.

Markets for ISK recently estimated around 370,000 subscribed accounts based on the 2016 financial statement:

1 Like

How do they know they are unique?

Email addresses, ip addresses?

If it’s email I had 4 accounts spread over 3 different email addresses.

1 Like

You either believe that they have a way to classify them as unique, or you don’t. They presented them as unique individuals.

People always seem to look at ways of dismissing data that doesn’t agree with their view (and of course, embracing data that does).

So either believe it or dismiss it as you see fit, as we have no additional information on how they classified them.

2 Likes

It’s absolutely nothing to do with believing them or not, I asked a simple question.

So how about not turning it into something it isn’t?

There are different methods to identify the unique IDs: some are more accurate while others are less accurate. Main of them:

1. By e-mail. Is one among the most inaccurate (works for social networks to ban shitposters or to monetize a service).
  2. By IP. It’s more accurate in short term perspective. But are restrictions from internet provider to internet provider. The dynamic IP can change the table, but having a DB to track ip history it’s easy to identify who stay under current ip.
  3. By reading your CPU, OS, MB IDs (unique numbers). Having installed a launcher, it’s a joke to read those parameters and send them with the login in protocol.
  4. [updated] Just decided to drop one more option: By MAC address (relatively unique). This net-adapter address is encapsulated in all packets sent to CCP servers by using link layer of TCP/IP hierarchy (unaffected by provider’s router transformations).

The CCP can use all 3 methods to identify unique accounts, which also has its error, because you can run different accounts from different PC and having the same provider IP.

Nowadays, everyone walking with spy bug in the pocket – GPS (accuracy +/- 3m). Previously it was a joke to get your GEO, with +/- 20m accuracy, by using 3 mobile phone stations to compute triangulation algorithm.

1 Like

The big ones that affect me are Sov Mechanics and Citadels, specifically on the gameplay they encourage (Interceptor wars and TZ tanking), neither of which are in any way engaging for the vast majority of the playerbase that I represent. Beyond that there are bigger issues like the fact that there hasn’t been any published roadmap for a while to get people excited about what’s coming up in EVE, and the lack of vision for places like Lowsec. These are big, all encompassing issues that go beyond the “little things” that the CSM often discusses with CCP, and it’s a shame that we aren’t seeing them being adressed in the short term, although they at least seem aware of them - which is a huge step forwards for us.

1 Like

By credit card/online payment service account number. You want accurate follow the money. Not everyone is so paranoid that they will use a different CC per account … although some do have 1 time disposable CC numbers available through their bank for online transactions.

1 Like

Yet credit card may not show unique users. I could have 3 kids who all play eve yet as their parent, I could use the same credit card for all 3.

Or… I actually had 2 accounts, each using a different card. One is my main credit card I use regularly. The other is an emergency one that I hope to never use but keep active in case. The only active charge is a once yearly renewal. I know when it happens, I pay it off right away and I have 2 unique credit cards for 2 accounts but am only one user.

If you have your kids mining for you… that is against several child labor laws in the Minmatar Republic.

5 Likes

Fairly sure the Minmatar Republic doesn’t have a comprehensive child labor code, actually. Something to do with tribal traditions.

3 Likes

The Thukker dont, but I am pretty sure the republic as a whole does frown upon it.

If a child is to be used in a labor capacity they must be paid a fair share that is due the labor being performed.

You are all one unique user. Your children class as alts, because they are essentially younger versions of yourself that you can use for the dirty jobs you don’t want to use your main for, or just keep in storage until the day you can show off the funny names you gave them when drunk.

:parrotwave2:

3 Likes

It’s another method, with another disadvantages:

• It will not count Alphas;
  • It will not count PLEXED accounts.

Isn’t it? Or I’m wrong in accounting procedures?
In any case, this method shouldn’t be used by CCP, which ISDs should confirm, as CCP’s officials on this forum. The card information contains some personal client information, which should not be used to track, collect and summarize some kind of statistic. Personal data is protected by law and in different countries differently. Therefore, Google just blurs car numbers and people faces on all their GMaps services and that’s ok – they smartly realized that’s not required for an absolute control and management to keep a global system working.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.