Custom portrait background

Chance to get your own custom portrait background with x amount of PLEX.

Is it good idea or bad idea? Discuss people!

2 Likes

I doubt it. It has the potential of creating a lot of legal (copyright) issues.

Would you please stop trying to allow people to use Hello Kitty or dicks pictures anywhere in EVE. Thank you.

1 Like

Just slap some grunge on it to create a derivative work. CCP has the ultimate call over what’s owned and displayed in their IP.

I’d only reserve custom portrait backgrounds for Star Citizen type whales willing to pay out the ass for pixels. However, what would likely be more healthy for the game is connecting portraits (even more custom requests from the art team) to player progression goals/unlocks (i.e. lose a couple rorqs, get a special portrait background to publicly showcase your indifference #alreadyreplaced)

1 Like

Why not add new ones instead of making people do what they don’t want to do to get access to their portrait back

I’d enjoy new ones however rolling existing assets into a progression unlock system would save dev time.

“Custom” like “I want to upload my own pictures!” would need moderation. This causes long delays because every image has to be checked first. See the current state of alliance logos.

I like the idea of @Pleasure_Hub_Node-514 to unlock comsetic stuff through in game acchievements. It is a concept that’s succesfull in other games already.

From an NPE standpoint it seems like a useful tool for highlighting long term goals a player could achieve in Eve. Portraits seem more suited for showing off monumental level character achievements than something like skins, which are already past a saturation point for collectors.

The question of what constitutes achievement (beyond the obvious epic arc completions, fac war medals, etc) is an interesting one in a massive sandbox–particularly nebulous achievements.

10000 ship spins in station?
Unlock whirling vortex background.

Use skill injectors 100 times?
Unlock medical addiction assistance background.

Lose a ship with 10000 plex in hold?
Unlock raining plex background.

1 Like

How hard would it be to get an alliance background?

It’s a fuckin’ character background. No one in his right ■■■■■■■ mind is going to put work into unlockin’ background images he’s never really even lookin’ at anyway! The people y’arr thinkin’ about is a tiny mentally disturbed subset of people who might care so much ‘bout having a proper lookin’ background image they’d actually put the ■■■■■■■ work into it. The healthy VAST MAJORITY will just be super pissed for being forced to put work into ■■■■■■■ character background images! They’ll say “■■■■ that ■■■■” and keep the default!

We’re talkin’ about a tiny background image rarely seen by anyone! That’s ■■■■■■■ nuts man and these nuts got damn sharp edges!

1 Like

Portrait backgrounds show up on the forums, zskill, etc…unlike ship SKINs. It’s a cosmetic that has potential to provide some players with sense of epeen achievement progression without screwing with game balance.

May I ask why you feel entitled to keep your character portrait background if you’re never going to look at it anyway?

As far as I know there is no option for removing it. One can not opt out of having them, so your question makes zero sense. You completely ignore the point of my post, which is that this is ■■■■■■■ nuts with sharp edges. No one’s going to bother with this, except those who really shouldn’t be playing RPGs in the first place. Now I’m feelin’ stupid for replying to this ■■■■■■■■. Errr not your post now, but your idea in general.

pleasure is a troll. just ignore them.

1 Like

You’re not a saint either. I remember you makin’ mistakes respondin’ to your own alts on the forums.

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment.

I don’t have any alts sweetie.

1 Like

You’re the alt of my heart :kissing_heart:

Ya’rr a liar, matey, and no threat at all so that “sweetie” ain’t botherin’ me.

name my alt please?

1 Like

How’m I supposed to know that? You replied to yourself, and ya did so in a way that made it obvious that ya didn’t just click the wrong button at the wrong post. You were clearly replying to yourself, agreeing with yourself. A mistake? Maybe. Is it likely? Not so much. You’re a carebear. All I keep learning from ya guys is that ya guys have no shame cheatin’ and lyin’ as long as you get what you ■■■■■■■ want. Prove me wrong, cheatbag.