Cyno alt Hauler-Theory

Would it be feasable to use a cheap Hauler (like a Nereus) instead of a Venture, deploy a Mobile Cyno, and use the Mids of the ship to webb the Freighter into warp.

since target locking speed isn’t really a priority n a scenario like this, this could be a good way to about it in a system that has no station, where in a HS-border, the Freighter could just jump into Highsec, and in a non-border system , maybe a POS ?

of course this would only play out as expected if the anchoring of the Cyno would not yet reveal it to everyone.

I wasn’t sure about this behaviour so I tried finding info about it.

I found an video from Februari 2021 that shows your expectation is correct: the cyno field of the beacon is visible only after it anchored.

I have thought about this option as well, but anything works safely in an empty system.

As your strategy involves waiting for 2 minutes in an empty system before you jump and warp, what would happen when someone passes by through the system during those two minutes?

They could see the mobile cyno and your Nereus on the directional scanner and know what’s about to happen.

Once the deployable is anchored it activates and gives these other players a direct warp-in on the location you want to jump your expensive jump freighter.

If there are no other players your freighter does indeed not spend a lot of time at the cyno, but you don’t know what’s going to be the situation in the system 2 minutes from now the moment you deploy the mobile cyno.

What is the purpose of the mobile cyno in this case?

• you aren’t saving money (37 million ISK per beacon according to Jita prices)
  • you aren’t any safer than if you were to light the cyno on your Nereus instead

I’m not saying it is a safe method or a good idea. But if you were to do such a thing, why not light an industrial cyno on your Nereus and use the same Nereus to web your jump freighter into warp?

Jumping becomes a lot cheaper when you only potentially lose a cheap Nereus (if it gets killed) instead of always losing an expensive cyno beacon.

And it also seems a bit safer when you can instantly set your plan in action when you see an empty system, instead of deploying now and waiting 2 minutes during which people can spot your beacon on d-scan.

yeah fire the cyno directly from the hauler was also a version i was thinking of, especially since the ship needs to be seriously tuned in order for it to be able to do the MWD-cloak trick.

another advantage is that the hauler can just position itself in space, and cloak … waiting for the coast to clear.

the idea about the mobile is just a plan-b kind of thing, as anyone with anchoring 3 can activate one, so we basically can ask corp mates to stand in as temp-cyno alts … so to speak.

because honestly, i do not really feel very good jumping to a venture for insta-docking if i have not positioned the cyno myself.

speaking of clear coast, can you deploy a Mobile Depot while the cyno is running?
just thinking if the alt is lucky and it takes more than a minute for anyone to show up, we could just drop a mobile depot after the freighter is on it’s way and just strop the ship, since we have to expect to lose it… just another idea i had a while ago.

of course deploying the depot before the cyno is used would be a really bad idea :wink:

Interesting option, you would have to give that a try.

I guess you can store your other items of your cyno ship into the mobile depot. I’m not sure if the cyno itself can be stored though while it is active. I would guess not.

As the industrial cyno is probably the most expensive part of your Nereus I’m not sure if this strategy will save you a lot of money, but it can save you some. Still it’s very little compared to the cost of the jump freighter, so the more important part is to keep that one alive.

another problem is that when you do things regularly, people start noticing what you do and you become predictable
and then someone will set a trap

Why all the hassle? You already have a cyno and a freighter account. Just create one or two more accounts, depending on the nature of your jump target systems and place scouts in the adjacent systems to be safer.

well sure the cyno can’t be unmounted, as it is in use, the issue is less the cost, but supply, if you are in the middle of nowhere, finding the parts to build a new ship can be tricky. so saving the cloak, mwd, power upgrades and the webbs in a depot can reduce the headache of re-courcing in no-man-land quite a bit.

100% true, but this is less a issue, since we just use the JF to source fuel and minerals, so the routes we going are quite random, otherwise we could just have clones and a few replacement ships at the “regular places”

Operating a Jump Freighter is a Waiting game. 1 alt just does not cut it, especially if you haul more then the freighter can carry, then you need at least two already (unless you want to become a hunting target by pingpong the alts) this locks up your alts quite a bit, so having a option where someone else can just “step in” can be of advantage, plus it adds to the randomness, as your cyno-alts become “known” after some time.

our standard op is 3 accounts 2 cyno + the freighter pilot and most of the mains can also light a cyno, so i not have to re-position the actual alts if they are in place and stuck in the waiting game.

i just tested the theory, and it worked exeptionally well.
the choice was to jump trough a lowsec system where 25% of all travelers getting killed (according to dotlan) or jump trough a empty nullsec system with 0 stations 0 kills and 7 jumps.
or make one more jump with the freighter to avoid it.

so put a tower, a mobile depot, 220 fuel blocks and 480 oxygen in the Nereus
its fitted with 3 Webbs, mwd, cloak and the cyno itself.

make bookmarks, anchor the tower, make a bookmark within 1 AU of the tower, online the tower and light up the cyno.

the JF jumps in, warps to the tower bookmark, the Nereus webbs the freighter causing it to instantly warp.

right after, deploy the mobile depot, strip everything of the ship and put it in the depot.

i did not get jumped on so i just refitted the ship and picked up the depot.

the second cyno alt lights his cyno and the JF jumps straight out of the bubble.

after that, offline the tower, hide, “alexa remind me in 7 minutes about the tower”
warp to the tower and pick it up … and fly into the sunset :wink:

it’s not really about the money, but more about the hazzle of re-sourcing the cyno ship in the middle of nowhere.