[December] UPDATED: Jump Fuel and Jump Fatigue Cap changes

This is the way of CCP, they never do anything small until after they go straight into the deep end.

1 Like

You do know that not every reply has to be sarcastic, right?

Yes. Now follow along here. CCP wants to shift more towards local production. Which means larger groups with more resource gatherers and more builders will be able to have significantly lower prices than small groups that have to import most things. Now on top of that increasing freight costs makes those small groups even less desirable by increasing the cost of goods available in their local markets.

The end result will be that almost everyone who isnā€™t entirely PVP focused will end up joining one of the mega-coalitions.

1 Like

This is a fluff fix. They did something absolutely meaningless, in order to look as if they did something remarkable. Changes like this are more about perception than effect. They know jump fatigue is hated, so making any change is bound to look good.

1 Like

The average player jumping on the mega coalition bandwagon is a product of players being generally risk adverse and nothing to do specifically with goonswarm. Players decide they want to make big iskies and mine with 10 rorquals at once. They then proceed to determine that the ā€œsafestā€ group to do that with is imperium. They have just helped inflate the mega coalition.

1 Like

We all know CCP is good at putting up smoke curtains

1 Like

As someone who does a lot of import/export, the only thing this will affect is the cost of logistics, which at the moment is extremely inexpensive to do anyway. Iā€™ve also heard that a lot of people are cherry picking non-isotope ices anyway, so this will just work to balance the value of those ices so theyā€™re actually mined.

1 Like

Honestly, Iā€™m conflicted on these changes.

For my personal interests, I donā€™t like anything that increases my shipping costs - no matter what that might be. I donā€™t know the overall effect, and Iā€™ll not argue against the change other than to note that I dislike the increase in my costs.

Iā€™m ambivalent about the capital ship fuel usage changes - yes it will cost more, but fuel costs can be secondary to strategic concerns. As such, I am of the opinion that it will hit the smaller groups harder than the larger groups. The larger organizations have more capacity to absorb the increased fuel costs, unlike smaller concerns that run on shoe-string budgets.

Balancing the fuel block usage to use some of the over-abundance of Liquid Ozone, thatā€™s a good change. Iā€™m not sure it is enough to really make a dent in the oversupply, but I can see that as a good step.

Reducing the volume of T2 intermediaries, also a good change, I can see that this would help reduce shipping costs of these specific items (less loads to transport same amount).

Iā€™m just worried that this disruption is ill-timed, especially with the ongoing T2 market disruption.

The other concern I have is that respawn timers for ice belts are not being adjusted to compensate for the increased fuel usage. When these respawn timers were introduced, we were told that they were balanced against the current usage. If usage doubles, will respawn times be adjusted as well? Iā€™m not necessarily saying an equal offset, but that this adjustment might be necessary if the shortages become too severe.

** edit: This reminds me, another way of adjusting the fuel costs/usage is to alter the ice belt respawn timers. Has that been considered instead of an increase in fuel usage? Iā€™m not advocating one way or the other, but a combination of the two factors might be more ideal.

1 Like

I didnā€™t say Goonswarm. Iā€™m in Horde which is part of The Other one. And yes lots of players are risk adverse which is why I simply canā€™t understand why CCP wants to punish the small guys who have a go in between the leviathans.

I spent a fair bit of time in Jericho Fraction so I have a great deal of sympathy for those small groups.

Yes, however that is entirely due to CCPs mechanics. If sieging up a rorqual wasnā€™t hugely dangerous without a massive response fleet on hand then smaller groups would be able to use them (without being in the ass end of the drones). Rorquals are a triumph of brute force over smart play.

1 Like

Any group with a mind to actually log in and engage in PVE can make local production happen. We mine a lot in Delve, sure, but we also have a lot of people there. Our per-capita mining amount is actually pretty shameful. Itā€™s a work in progress.

This is where the whole ā€œyou need to log inā€ thing comes from. Local production isnā€™t hard, but you do have to employ more effort than just relying on one mark to do shipping for you.

As an aside ā€“ after more than a decade of krabs being denigrated and considered subhuman, I have to appreciate how utterly delicious it is to hear people complain that non-PVP players will prefer to join one side or another.

1 Like

You just said they couldnā€™t. At least not to the level of self-sufficient that Goonswarm can. Being able to make some T1 hulls isnā€™t the same as being able to produce all the T2 items needed to fit them.

It absolutely is much harder for a small group. Maybe youā€™ve been in the blob so long that youā€™ve never been in a group where someone doesnā€™t have the skills needed to produce the item you want.

Just getting the alts, let alone, players to have a real economy out in null requires far more than just ā€œlog inā€.

Pffft, I remember when the krabs ran all the null alliances and whined about having to pay tax for people to protect them.

1 Like

Please elucidate.

The design of the game prevents you from having fully local T2 production. You need to be able to source foreign R8s, R32s, and now (with lifeblood) foreign topes as well. Itā€™s a physical impossibility, no matter how many warm bodies or bitter vets you have.

2003 with Taggart Transdimensional and their scheming to avoid alliance taxes is what lead to the corps that became BoB coming together.

1 Like

Yes. But the massive groups get closer to CCPs goal of local production than any other. Also I might be wrong but I thought CCP said they were open to fiddling with the goo distribution in the future (kill me if they do because I dual box scanned a lot of systems really quickly last time).

EDIT: Also as the goo volume is so small the big groups are still making a savings by importing non-regional goo to turn into T2 locally.

1 Like

Soā€¦ Time for a dedicated fuel transport yet?

ā€“Lobbying Gadget

1 Like

This could have been solved by reducing all fuel bays rather than doubling usage which increases constant demand rather than the one-off demand of being able to hold twice as much (current).

If you wanted increased block/isotope usage you should have just continued to tie it to either reactions (reduce input and output of moon materials, kept the block usage constant, resulting in increased block usage) or finally patched in a base fuel requirement for the tethering feature on citadels (something thatā€™s actually a step towards balance with these structures) which would have also greatly increased block usage and not just the isotopes that go into their production!

As opposed to literally anyone else importing goo? Big groups donā€™t somehow receive a savings on shipping by dint of their size alone.

Why not? At what point would you not want to be truly effectively using your space, making mad amounts of ISK and producing significantly cheaper supers/titans than the rest of the universe. You are upset about the relatively minor increase to jump a cap around yet donā€™t want massively cheaper ships? your logic seems really flawed.

The savings is they are producing enough of the local goo and by-products to combine with some imported goo to make T2. And obviously have all the characters with the skills required to do those chains efficiently.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand at this point why you would STILL be trying to DISCOURAGE capital fights. The last big things to be reported on in EVE were all capital fights or scams. And you make it more expensive for capital pilots to travel, I assume in an attempt to make using rorquals in Delve more expensive or something?

If only there was some large structure that you could change so that it gets some meaningful penalties when its not fueled, like how the POS forcefield would turn off if you dont fuel them, maybe turn tethering off if your Citadel isnā€™t fueled (and make the amount of fuel used in a citadel actually meaningful instead of the pittance it is just now).

1 Like