Democratic Deficit in the Minmatar Republic

I don’t know if it’s the pill of X-Instinct I crushed up and snorted, but I’m feeling really blissful and content with life, and reading through this thread I realize that I was wrong about there being a democratic deficit mostly

the free sharing of thoughts, opinions, sharing of idea’s, debating freely with others, that is all an expression of democracy. I like this feature of society and hope that it never leaves the Republic. Which I fear it could if the shadowy tribal council continues to push their political project over the Republic. The governmental establishment is very opaque, the Tribal Council meetings and parliament, chaired by the Sanmatar is shrouded in secrecy.

https://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/breaking-news-sanmatar-shakor-crosses-imperial-border-in-surprise-visit-to-amarr/ His trip to the Amarr empire was quite surprising to everyone back in my tribal commune on Aldik V and then we heard
no further information, no explanation from the Tribal Council or anything, just a complete lock down of information. With continued factional warfare I can only assume the Sanmatar failed to secure any sort of peace, so what was he there to discuss?

The most recent news I read about Maleatu was about his brilliant speech on the 139th anniversary of the Rebellion. Maleatu’s status as a hero among the tribes has given him an almost cult like, legendary status and I think the establishment hypes it up because it’s used as a large justification for his central, influential and powerful role within the Minmatar Republic. Despite ceeding his official powers to the Tribal council and their appointed parliament, he still has considerable power and influence and a special role carved out for him (apparently for life? we don’t even know…). Yet in the many political discussions with friends and family what I always hear is “he voluntarily gave up his power, he’s a hero, everybody loves him”.

It should be noted that the Tribal Council has been meeting more frequently in closed sessions more recently. Their reason being “[to]…discuss matters of interstellar security and current challenges facing the Minmatar people” https://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/world-news/minmatar-tribal-council-calls-for-candidates-to-apply-to-republic-fleet-capsuleer-recruitment-program/

I think the people here that say our system is accessible and free and aligns with our values are probably brainwashed. Don’t even get me started on how the establishment went on to exploit Karin Midular’s death, everyone treated her like ■■■■ when she was living and Maleatu Shakor was key in undermining and deposing her and when she dies the state turn’s her into some kind of mythical saint to further validate and justify the establishment’s legitimacy. But I suppose if Shakor and the Tribal Council are competing with all the new cults and sect’s emerging, they need to create their own cult.

Anyway what do I know, I’m one of those crazy conspiracy theorists that believe Midular’s assassination was an inside job to rid Shakor of the last of the political opposition and then turned her into a cult figure in death to feed into the narrative they are spinning to the public.

hmmm that X-Instinct has worn off, catch you all next time

1 Like

Only at least six? Given that Khanid’s back in the runnings as a royal house, I make it at least twelve, because you’d have anti-Triune Empress and pro-Triune Empress factions in each house - although maybe not Ardishapur? But then again Ardishapur put up an utterly ridiculous fuss about Tash-Murkon being allowed a place in the Trials of Succession at all, and then didn’t actually do anything about it when push came to shove?

Man Amarr politics is complicated.

2 Likes

What? Centuries ago maybe, but nothing recent.

1 Like

That would be the political opposition that asked him to return to the Republic and then called for an election he was bound to win?

I think you’re letting the ‘the sky is falling’ flavor of most current-events stories influence your position here. You complain about the system, but have you even spoken with the leaders of your Clan?

2 Likes

Not to mention the late Karin Midular was a Tribal Chief, representing the Sebiestor Tribe in the Tribal Council. And that she supported Shakor when he took over the Republic prior to the creation of the Tribal Assembly.

2 Likes

And do you reckon she did so with a joy in her heart, or because the Elders told her to, as a final act of humiliation before buggering off again to wherevertheshit?

1 Like

That’s… not how you’re suppposed to take X-Instinct. No, seriously, X-Instinct wasn’t designed to be insuflated. It can do VERY BAD things to your bronchial passages.

Uh, I’d see a doctor. Like, now.

3 Likes

Buggering off? She went right back in as Tribal Chief and got involved in politics again.

2 Likes

I meant the Elders, dumdum. Of whom I at least have heard nothing in many years now.

2 Likes

Regarding the Elders, all I had heard of them was from second-hand accounts from people who claimed to have encountered the Elders. Key-word here being ‘claimed’.

We are apparently expected to take them at their word.

3 Likes

How about a third option:

She did it after finally, following yearsdecades of parliament being ineffective and gridlocked by the corrupt minions of both external and internal forces acting against the ideal of good, responsive government in the Republic, getting fed up with the infighting, backstabbing, and plotting—especially since a large chunk of it was aimed at her—and basically said ‘screw you hippies, you get Shakor now’.

I know it’s a shocking idea, but long exposure to intransigent bastards who nod and smile and say ‘patience’ while never having the first intention of actually making the political process at all productive can, you know, leave people fed up and ready to just pour some kerosene all over the place and watch the bastards burn.

1 Like

Wait, there are SEVEN tribes?

Someone needs to invent a mnemonic, because I can never name more than four or five.

2 Likes

Hmm, I can definitely name only two. And I think I know third, but I doubt I can pronounce that name or write it correctly. In fact, I am definitely sure I can correctly write name of only one and not sure if I write correctly name of the second.

And you call us ignorant…

7 Likes

Very well said.

2 Likes

She was the hippie, Arrendis. She was the hippie. She was the only one under the illusion that the Republic was safe, stable, and effective in its parliamentary form. She was clueless of the Karsoth agents imbedded within the Parliament up to the very day everything fell apart, and it showed, big time. Idealism is good, but too much progress too fast can be extremely naive and counterproductive. Her idealism led to the necessity of Shakor and the Elders to ‘clean up the mess’, and now democracy is farther back in the Republic than it has ever been. She failed, by every metric, because she pushed too hard, too fast.

She was a good person. I respect her. But a good person won’t last long in an environment like that.

2 Likes

I reckon they’re still building and maintaining… whatever it was that allowed them to support a fleet of that size at that time.

2 Likes

I have to hand it to @Diana_Kim. Of all the posts on the forum, she manages to rile up the most comments for hers.

Kudos, Diana. Kudos. slow clap

2 Likes

She’s so good at it she can get people’s panties in a bunch just by being in the general vicinity!

3 Likes

Ms. Ruil, I will deeply appreciate if you won’t discuss my person with obvious trolls.