Dev blog: Black Desert Online makers Pearl Abyss to acquire CCP!

Based on how my posting characters are being witch-hunted of late, making a bet is pointless. It’s entirely likely some lame and obvious excuse will be found for banning me and deleting my posts.

But on the off chance I’m still around in a year, I’ll pony up whatever it is you start the game with. 5,000 ISK I think?

It’s all I have.

1 Like

Ok, so you are just talking

The ‘Witch-Hunt’ of deleting posts, locking threads and banning posters in these forums is happening to us all.

Since Pearl Abyss is acquiring CCP, I wonder how long they’ll allow these forums to exist? We all just might end up on E/Reddit.

2 Likes

Stop being so precious. Asking for a bet in EVE-O is just a cry for attention and you know it. Especially from the dying breed of CODE who are unlikely to survive this takeover.

Keep on wishing. History is against you.

There is no way in hell that the new overlords will recoup their costs on this buy unless they remove the “bad” elements of the game. I’ll be surprised if there is anything remotely like the PVP we have now (non consensual) in the near future. That and ganking mechanics will be the first to go as they move towards a model that will make them some money.

2 Likes

Yeah sure, ok

Exactly nothing will happen in a year

About that investment… Apparently our new overlords only splashed out $225mil for the acquisition. The other $200mil are “deferred performance based payouts”. I’m sure we don’t need anyone to draw us a picture to explain what the performance metrics are, but I’d be interested to know over what period that $200mil is supposed to be paid out.

Not sure if this is better or worse news than what we knew already though.

2 Likes

We’ll see.

In any case, I bookmarked this for future giggles and I-told-you-so linkage. Either yours or mine.

2 Likes

No need to wait.

I’ve been crying since the announcement. I’ll be happy to send you some of that salty goodness.

Is you are afraid to try you’ll never succeed…in fact, you should look to failure not as a bad thing, but that people are looking for the next big thing. You can’t be part of it if you don’t take some risks.

Yeah, I agree and it’s great if you can afford that but in the real world if you constantly fail then you’ll get replaced.

I’m a Union Pipefitter and if I start making a bunch of costly mistakes or fail to complete my job on time then eventually I’ll get transferred, replaced and ultimately fired.

That would be colossally stupid. That would sharply reduce the demand for PLEX. The market supply would be set to zero, so those who want to buy PLEX for ISK won’t be able too. So those who want to sell PLEX for ISK will no longer have an incentive too and will stop buying them.

What are you possibly thinking here?

Raising the price of PLEX would also further lower the amount sold. The supply of PLEX is effectively perfectly elastic. Raise the price and the supply curve would shift upwards (note, not outwards, but upwards) which would mean a movement along the demand curve reducing demand.

Now, maybe this could enhance profits, but one has to wonder because CCP could do this right now.

Same comment as with PLEX.

Really…what are you thinking?

Which isn’t even worth a ■■■■ to be quite honest.

1 Like

Good thing CCP has not constantly failed then.

Trying new ideas and making costly mistakes are not the same thing.

Yeah whatever dude, no investment firm is going to get rid of their company as long as it makes them a profit.

1 Like

General calculation ise that will take 6-12 months for CCP to take control and enforce this changes.

1 Like

" Last week, Petursson told the hundreds of thousands of “Eve” players that “Black Desert Online” creators Pearl Abyss had purchased CCP. The $425 million sale is a combination of a $225 million upfront payment and up to $200 million in a deferred performance-based payout."

What does it mean?

CCP has been sold for 225 000 000 US$ and if, only IF they made undisclosed financial goals sellers will receive another 200 000 000 US$

Looks like that 425 M$ is only bubble to “save the face” for ccp investors, because currently ccp is maximally overstretched and there is no way to achive any positive financial goals.

Conclusion: ccp was sold for 225 M , but with creative accounting, it was made to look like 425 M

4 Likes

so all that PLEX-threads price whiners may were actually right, price don’t reflected real demand for it, because of botters (and today it is easy to make carrier bot because of SP trading).

2 Likes

Exactly.

In some cases you can double it, as the botter runs that bot for x hours while away, and then manually continues running that content for y hours when at PC, all going to the same players pocket. For each additional bot generating 1bil per day, you add another 365bil per year.

Thats also why there is a dedicated group of posters that target and sabotage any thread on it, as well as on botting.

For some, their posting history also reflects that.

People misunderstand botting as a “one-off”, isolated instance/act. Its not. Its recurring/persistent, and does more harm the longer it runs.

3 Likes

The general calculation is that in 6-12 months you will still cry on the forums because nothing happened.

1 Like

He is referring to the published data that the remaining 200mil will only be paid on condition CCP generates x revenue over y period.

Typical for this kind of condition is 12-24 months, and an expectation of growth in revenue over that duration.

Its unclear whether the 200mil will be paid in installments, or in total at end of the condition period.

That means CCP has very real incentive/pressure to generate revenue to gain that enormous bonus (once over again the actual value of the company, which is a VERY generous offer, almost unheard of), but whether they fail or succeed, the bonus incentive is off the table sooner or later.

As we all know, when incentive is gone, so is commitment/motivation.

Note: This is likely from ALL of CCPs revenue, not EVE exclusive, and involves the predictions of revenue from CCPs other current products, and upcoming other releases as well. Also liquidation/cessation of assets/staff/projects.

3 Likes

Well mate, I wouldn’t say eve is pay to win anyway possible, I explained how the economical environment fluid and the game environment they build, each roll of us participate in to perform the fluid which is so called sand box.

Pay to win is actually an incomplete term to describe an act that simply couldn’t be adjusted to fit to any in game system find its roll of function.

If the game is incomplete somehow with its mechanics, like the simulation scope was laid too close to a particular reality joint like traditional games, for instant street fighters, if paying items that simply extend the damage of a punch or buying items reducing each damage and such, with better cash input, the items go up with tiers therefore, it reduces or extending more damage, theoretically, if you paying certain amount of cash, that wouldn’t be a fair match at all than the fellow next to you nuded.

But if you extend and try to dig deeper on the concept why a item can reduce or extending damages, what does it require to manufacture it, what cost much make it prior to their regular glove size and such, you realise you need better materials or manufacturing conditions that requires more time And initial cost to set up the lay out, therefore the job that an other player to produce it is realised and next thing it needs is to link that manufacturing process to material collecting, therefore the street fighter go full live with a live economical environment and more positions have been filled as profession to support that combat situation, also the extended layout on how the items manufactured also suggesting the property that items appears, like how the weight of a glove pairs with the material of it to produce a more comfortable punch therefore delievering more damage, the larger and tougher the gloves are, the less lethal they become as offence but more effective and produce more defensive property to reduce the damage of an incoming punch, you know just to form up a feeling the environment of what those gloves are and what they actually do as glove hanging there, with all that feeding back and mechanics produced by those property. the combat environment started forming up and so the property of a fight is. It seems like how the game environment was formed by mechanics as an approach, and in that environment players can manage to drive it to expansion anyway they need.

Pay to win is a simple action, and it alone doesn’t have proper meaning to any problem it suggesting, but a tag that implies a game needs to dig deeper on the concept it stands and the meaning to the simulation it trying to lay out, just you know reveal what does it mean as it was proposed essentially so it can stand as a joint of mechanics rather than an object skipping everything around out.

1 Like