Dev blog: Black Desert Online makers Pearl Abyss to acquire CCP!

I just hope none of the P2W crap from BDO comes to EVE, so I’m really worried.

Edit: After reading the AMA, I’m less panic-y, but I’m watching you… :eyes:

13 Likes

You got my x in Fleet. ^^

1 Like

You don’t say…
Either you weren’t here years ago for their initial attempt at cash shop shenanigans, or you weren’t able to figure out I posted in past tense.

Regardless, poor form.

2 Likes

Does this means we’ll soon be able to pay real money for stuff like temporary DPS increase on our ships (I’m bad at PvP so it’ll come handy), or even name change on our character?

That is absolutely questionable. In 2011, people raged over the just introduced macro transactions. A few years later, people rejoice when CCP gives them the umpteenth iteration of the same coat and skirt. People will definitely not rage over P2W any more because “times have changed” and a lot of worthless new player trash that was brought up with Farmville and other similar “games” has entered EVE and who are accustomed to these practices and do not care.

7 Likes

RIP EVE ONLINE
GG CCP YOU JUST KILLED EVE…

13 Likes

I play both Eve and Black Desert Online. The fact that CCP will be wholly owned, and as far as I can see CCP had no say in this matter worries me. It is very reductive to call BDO P2W, it’s far far more complex, but they are very good at encouraging players to open their wallets. You can sort of play BDO without opening your wallet most of the time, in fact as counter intuitive as this sounds, there are times you can gain an advantage by not opening your wallet over someone who does. But there is certainly very strong pressure for you to pay. And the ethos behind the economy is the exact opposite to Eve, you couldn’t get any further polar opposite. For example you cannot give another player an item ( apart from some trivial items ), you MUST use the in game auction house to exchange items between players. To explain how it works would take a huge amount of text, but suffice to say it doesn’t work the way you might expect. The devs set a price range for items, so the free market doesn’t set the price. For expensive items like high queality weapons the rules get even weirder. The amount paid by the buyer, is not the amount the seller gets, and I don’t mean a small tax shaved off the sales price like Eve, I mean a sword will get the seller a fixed amoutn say 100 million but the buyers can bid billions on it. The difference just dissappears. As a seller you get a fixed price, not what the buyers pay.
If Pearl Abyss try to change Eve to fit their culture you will not recognise it at all. Cornerstones of Eve will just dissappear. It will be a vastly different game.

14 Likes

To those people blaminmg CCP, this was completely out of their control. The investors did this by selling to Pearl Abyss, not CCP. CCP had no say in this.

12 Likes

Expect to write as if everyone is ignorant and your 2 words are to long to read.

EvE style. MOTD naaaaah just ask the buissy FC in coms for what ship we flying & how the fitt looks.

2 Likes

RIP EVE Online.
It was fun while it lasted.
All good things must end.
:disappointed_relieved:

9 Likes

Investors want their back after the abysmal failure of the abyss. They’re jumping from a sinking ship.

2 Likes

virm pasuul

1m

To those people blaminmg CCP, this was completely out of their control. The investors did this by selling to Pearl Abyss, not CCP. CCP had no say in this. we want facts not opinons

2 Likes

So, a racist Korean company that “permits” access to their game only to certain “licensed” countries acquires CCP and EVE Online along with it. Okay.

Call me when burial ritual will start. At very least I will try to attend for the sake of good old memories that I made in EVE Online since 2007.

3 Likes

hope another mmo comes out soon so I jump off this sinking ship

2 Likes

you know that most of you are depressing ?
why doing holes in the only real space based MMO we have?
if CCP sink it will be because of their players…

3 Likes

Unsubbing in protest… Eve Desert Online

4 Likes

Can you imagine if CCP goes the way of WhiteWolf after this.

4 Likes

Only time will tell what owners of Pearl Abyss will do. Just keep on playing as far as you can.

4 Likes

You already can.

Buy plex for $$$. Sell plex for Isk. Buy drugs on market - an example would be mindflood for more cap and crash for better missile damage application. Then take the drugs in combat.

Ta-da, real money into more damage.

Alternatively, sell plex for isk, buy skill injectors, inject useful skills for combat.

9 Likes

ok so theyll own CCP Right?

Is CCP dev’s and pearl abyss going work together and stablise some of the code? e.g. big fights that kill nodes?

Is CCP being sold to them, going to improve the game? is the game going to cost more?!

2 Likes