Dev Blog: Call for CSM 13 Candidates!

Gods, the number of times Trebor Daehdoow quoted that to CCP during summits

m

This is so difficult to follow. As much as I want information in the official forums, there is just no active filter for how much tinfoil useless babble I have to sift through and THAT’S the reason this platform is second tier.

Everyone has a voice here, but not everyone gives supportive information. The patience some have shown is really outstanding, no but’s about it.

Right. Because reddit has a way to safely filter out tinfoil. Most of it is nothing but tinfoil.

1 Like

Give something a week on Reddit and there’s a huge difference when you get to hundreds of comments

and most of them are just two people swearing at one another. It’s like the worst of the internet, distilled down to the crappiest common denominator.

Then minimize that thread and move on. Unlike here where we effectively force people to scroll through every back and forth comment.

In my experience, that means ‘don’t open reddit’. So I don’t.

Even as recent as the recent CSM minutes this was noted. It has been a relevant fact for a long time. The awareness of players having no link other than the actual game client was outlined clearly by CCP Quant several years ago at FanFest.

There has been plenty of opportunity for CCP to raise the awareness in the past.

Whilst this disparity remains, the CSM does not represent the game as a whole.

1 Like

Seriously?
The CSM has so little influence on what happens “before the event” it may as well just not be involved.
Either that or the CSM just don’t pay attention - I can’t remember how many threads on here and Reddit there have been about upcoming changes (stuff on SISI or even before it hits SISI), negative impact on game play and the such, and ONE in a hundred “might” have a CSM post in it.
Sure the odd CSM might browse some of these threads but as far as feedback goes like devs, no input is bad input, as it is seen as ignoring issues. (it matters little what happens in the background, WE want to know you are there for us)
This thread contains more posts from the CSM (or should i say one particular member) than any other thread in the last year - And it has become about whether the CSM is any longer relevant to the players OR CCP.

Maybe CCP should do a mail out poll asking for player input;
Do you know what the CSM is?
Is the CSM relevant to you and your play style?
Have you ever directly interacted with a CSM member?
In 50 words or less, What issues would you like to see the CSM concentrating on in the next year?

I’m sure CCP has the ability to do a mass mail out ingame (players would be more inclined to respond to an ingame mail, with a link to a forum poll, than one from their email address) I check ingame mail daily, I check my email address’s a couple of times a week.

Something simple like a poll started from an Evemail could also get a lot more people (those who don’t vote or have limited or no knowledge of the CSM) aware and involved…

Either that, or maybe they’re not saying everything they know because of NDA issues. There are many more possibilities than occur to someone whose mind has been made up well in advance.

Edit: Don’t get me wrong, I’m still not disagreeing on the matter of ‘more in-game communication is better’.

Not sure what regarding “balance” you are referring to but I will say. As far as player representatives go I personally believe you and Steve are the only CSM still worth my vote.

If only we could get 3 or 4 more like you guys elected, the CSM might be more relevant to players from all over New Eden rather than 3 delegates from one entity representing the same agenda (well 2 and a half really, one screwed over thousands of his fellow players to make up the trio).

My ballot selections;
Jin’tan
Steve Ronuken
Arrendis (yes a Goon but with a proven broad understanding and open mindedness)
And
Mike Azariah (again due to his broad knowledge of more than just one part of the game)

Ah, but I’d have to leave my post at the multi-dollar media empire to run. Also, I’m really not in a travel-friendly position right now (No, I’m not in prison).

1 Like

Not this year but I am hoping to run (again) in the year following.

m

1 Like

Weird, I’m not planning on running that year. Has anyone ever seen us in the same room together? I’m beginning to think we might be the same person.

Ships & Modules balancing. It’s a very important and oft neglected part of EVE that impacts every player :slight_smile:

Honoured to be on your ballot though, though I think my own ballot is likely to look different. Though I’d vote for all 4 on there, heh.

That you know of.

What do you think you know, how do you think you know it?

If CCP had suggested x bad thing, and not released it as we said it would incense the community, would you ever hear a peep on it from CCP?

And right there is part of the problem - Who really knows what the CSM does, aside from the CSM.

In the real world [of virtual spaceships] accountability is important.

I know you guys do many things we never hear about and there are many more that you tell CCP will be bad and they choose not to listen.

• We as players just want to be informed (some of us do anyway).
  • We would like the CSM to at least acknowledge they received a message from a player (some do, most don’t in my experience).
  • Basically some of us would like to be part of the process (if that makes sense)

Unfortunately, the NDA works against that to some degree. There’s not much they can do to keep us in the loop about things CCP hasn’t revealed. At the same time, the NDAs are necessary because no company in their right mind is going to hand out strategic development info without them (and they’d be idiots to do that). :confused:

CSM cant discuss NDA issues with the public.

Whether a CSM responds to a player concern, is up to them, individually.
Pragmatically, its dangerous for them to do so, because what they say can be parsed out of context and misrepresented. They are required to hold to a higher standard of behavior, but that does not include a requirement to respond to player contact.

You can be part of the process by contacting them, contacting CCP, or engaging in public discussion in all its forums/formats. And, ofc, run for CSM yourself.

2 Likes

I understand how NDA’s work, spent a lot of my working life dealing with politicians and bureaucrats, what I don’t understand is the lack of willingness from most CSM to interact with or even acknowledge players when they try to contact them.

They aren’t representing players by ignoring them, they only represent whatever their individual agenda is.

As i said before, if a CSM member (our elected representatives) is too busy or doesn’t want to be put out by interacting with players, they shouldn’t be on the CSM. Part of being a representative of a group or community is being willing to hear what they have to say.

1 Like