I was thinking that the Resource Wars was a stepping stone mechanic for newer characters to better learn group play/cooperative interaction. Before it was you finished your tutorial missions,good luck, go out and do something. For many players, that was fine. Others felt lost/were discouraged by normal EVE play/interaction and were lost from the player pool prematurely. This is at least a game mechanic where you can meet strangers and learn to cooperate/get screwed over much easier than some random encounter in HS. I look at this new mechanic as a tool to reduce the number of SOLO miners/players; it’s not a perfect tool, but at least it is something we didn’t have before and its stated goals are good ones.
I think the focus on FW as the next major improvement would be a good idea,too. Low cost and small fights should be encouraged nearly everywhere. However, I can see what CCP is attempting to do:
- Train the players in basic gameplay/mechanics
- Introduce cooperating with other players against the environment/NPCs; learn to work with others.
- Learn to work with others against other players in small group activities ( FW redo/improvement needed)
- Join larger groups fully trained and conditioned to work with others against other players (or Environment)
- Retain the largest number of new players by ensuring that all major facets of EVE have been revealed.
So, yes, let us improve FW, but let us also give this new mechanic a chance to see if it has a positive effect on the player pool.