Dev blog: Introducing Resource Wars

I see a lot of people mistaking the term “sandbox” with “I want to do whatever I want”

sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish.

A sandbox game is also known as an open-world or free-roaming game.

2 Likes

I think the skin will be for a ship of that empire where the site is located, and “unique” means that will be the only source for that skin in-game.

1 Like

my complaint isn’t silly that a whole type of ship isn’t able to get rewards for participating in an activity.

1 Like

As far as any of us can tell as long as whatever ship can take a Mining Laser or Drones, then you will be fine.

1 Like

No they didn’t

The sites will have a maximum capacity, but your empire does not expect you to share your reward so the number of players who enter the site alongside you will have no impact on the payouts.

If you choose to mine with the fleet, your role will be to gather the resources as quickly as possible and deposit the rare ore into waiting haulers. If you fit for combat, you will defend the fleet miners against the incoming pirates and their reinforcement waves.

It puts the ore down in can or it gets the hose again.

Still excited about these hope tiers 4,5 got some bite in them.

1 Like

can you please stop regular belts from respawning? that way miners everywhere have something worth fighting for. or maybe slowly lower the respawn rate, over time. let better miners take their spots. better miners, who are willing to fight for the ore.

thanks.

I’d much rather recommend a tweak on how ice belts and other cosmic belts spawn every day after maintenance on the same spot, if you look in the system Uchomida that is an example, ice belt always there, Onnamon always a site of kernite or whatever and Hentogaira two ice belts.

1 Like

How, where and when will this appear on Sisi for testing?

1 Like

Lets ask @CCP_Affinity she might have more info?

1 Like

Since I cannot remember running more than a handful of mining missions like 8 years ago, could someone refresh my memory on what mining ships are allowed per level of this event or is that yet to be determined? I’m sure I could cobble up some sort of event ship at the time, but it wouldn’t hurt to get assets pre-deployed since my free time is limited.

1 Like

Basically think lowest level venture, then Procurer, then Orca in the biggest. Obviously other barges could be selected also.

1 Like

Since some of us only have a Venture, a Combat ship with Mining Drones should be OK for the higher level sites, right?

Try it when it comes out on Sisi & find out?

1 Like

The Vexor retains its bonus to Mining Drones.

Or bring back the Mining Rokh.

1 Like

@Jin_taan @Steve_Ronuken Would like to get your opinion on this feature. Why was there no opposition against the none-sandbox character with max player counts, handing out loot-boxes with ready-fit battleships, special purpose and isolated level system, and the push of new players towards PvE and especially mining? Why is not all effort being put into making FW the next step for new players as originally promised?

I was thinking that the Resource Wars was a stepping stone mechanic for newer characters to better learn group play/cooperative interaction. Before it was you finished your tutorial missions,good luck, go out and do something. For many players, that was fine. Others felt lost/were discouraged by normal EVE play/interaction and were lost from the player pool prematurely. This is at least a game mechanic where you can meet strangers and learn to cooperate/get screwed over much easier than some random encounter in HS. I look at this new mechanic as a tool to reduce the number of SOLO miners/players; it’s not a perfect tool, but at least it is something we didn’t have before and its stated goals are good ones.

I think the focus on FW as the next major improvement would be a good idea,too. Low cost and small fights should be encouraged nearly everywhere. However, I can see what CCP is attempting to do:

1. Train the players in basic gameplay/mechanics
  2. Introduce cooperating with other players against the environment/NPCs; learn to work with others.
  3. Learn to work with others against other players in small group activities ( FW redo/improvement needed)
  4. Join larger groups fully trained and conditioned to work with others against other players (or Environment)
  5. Retain the largest number of new players by ensuring that all major facets of EVE have been revealed.

So, yes, let us improve FW, but let us also give this new mechanic a chance to see if it has a positive effect on the player pool.

1 Like

In the case of ice, the number of belts is constant but they spawn in different locations after depletion. Also a few systems retain the old-style permanent ice belts, but for the most part, each spawn requires to check the scanner and go to a different spot.

Or so it was when it was implemented, and until the last time I mined, some 18 months ago.

Wrong question.

What do you do to see change (un)happening?

You mean, opposing certain developments, I don’t like, on the forum is not enough?