Dev blog: New Recruitment Program Kicks Off On July 11!

official
devblog

(12433412) #13

Many newbies want to PvP right from the start, but they end up rather irrelevant. Even level 1 or 2 would be fine if all they got to face was not veteran pilots but rather something their size/experience.

I even remember the learning skills, was fun learning :)! I would second 2M unallocated skillpoints on each new char. New people could re-roll their characters till they got something that was working for them. Why not? That could reduce the ‘irrelevancy’ period.

(Golden Askiras) #14

Its great to see that CCP are continuing to work on the new player experience. As getting newbros in is arguably the most important thing to the longevity of the game.

I’m VERY nervous about this change.

The current recruitment system was great because I could get a new player or one of my RL friends in, and could let them try it, and then I could pay for their first month, as plexing their account would get me gametime too!

This was great because it allows me to get a lot of my friends hooked.

PLEASE do not remove the plex/gametime reward. That is the most critical thing.

The skins etc are nice, but:

a) The marshal and other concord ships are horrendously expensive, and most players will never be able to afford or fly them, so they will not have an interest in the skins

b) Because of this, the market will be flooded with these skins, and so they won’t be of much value.

I understand that this is probably to combat sp farmers using it, though really, I think that changing the recruitment system to something that is LESS rewarding is not a good plan.

It means that less newbros will have time gifted to them, so they will be less likely to carry on playing (that first month of omega makes a HUGE difference)

And it means that people will be less incentivised to recruit anyway if the rewards are shrinking

(boernl) #15

i agree with golden askiras
the gametime reward is most likely for the ppl that are not realy $ heavy in real life more apropiate than a skin wich does not have a guaranteed value

(Arthur Aihaken) #16

Quiet and take your SKIN!

(Arthur Aihaken) #17

CCP, you should really watch this video.
It pretty much sumarizes what many of us have been telling you for years. Until you address these issues, your recruitment efforts are going to fail before they even begin.

(Elizabeth Norn) #18

I hope you’re addressing some obvious issues like the dishonest advertising in the Buddy invites and rewards from other players thread, the slight difficultly in linking peoples’ in-game characters with their entry on your list of past buddy invites to provide them their promised reward, the confusion in which payments provide a reward, and the ambiguity of whether you’re allowed to recruit yourself.

I’m guessing the rewards will be substantially less than the current 500 PLEX / 30 days of game time per recruit which should go towards making those issues somewhat irrelevant.

(Evasive Shadow Assassin) #19

You cannot force people to recruit and promote your game before you fix the issues that already exist

Go watch it, go watch what happens when a 15yr player of eve online looses hope in CCP - Because You, to me, will never fix what needs to be fixed, you just pile shiny ■■■■ ontop of stinking ■■■■ to hide the problems

STEP UP

(CowRocket Void) #20

#whoareyou #hisec #verticalvid #canihaveyourstuff #wowisthatway

Irrelevant video, the core eve game is fine and working as intended. Some game play issues need to be fixed or tweaked but eve 2018 is a much better place than eve 2009.

(Evasive Shadow Assassin) #21

Well done, true eve online fanboi

#hisec - i live in low sec idiot

this ccp, is the playerbase you want to promote

(Arthur Aihaken) #22

EVE Online
EAVE Online
EA Online.

(Chance Ravinne) #23

@CCP_Falcon I am extremely nervous about everything in this post.

I have pulled almost 3,000 players through the old recruitment program. Obviously not all of them ended up subscribing. But hundreds have. As a result, I would guess that I’m one of the “more prolific” referral people out there.

This blog talks about rewards getting capped at 40 referrals. 40! I have to assume that this means 99% of people don’t refer anywhere near 40 people. But having gone way over that limit already I’m super nervous what that means for me. It is hard to think any reward is going to be better than just “tons and tons of PLEX.”

Second concern is transparency. When CCP transitioned from the previous reward system (including Catalyst SKINS) to the one now, I asked for details on what the changes would be and what would carry over and never got an answer. As a result I made blind decisions that cost tens of billions of ISK, if not more. It just felt really bad to be in that position. Now we have another update with no notes about what happens to unclaimed referrals currently sitting in the pre-redemption queue. I do not want to lose 100 billion ISK gambling on whether I should be cashing out now or not. But with 1 day’s notice (ONE!!!) and the odds that nobody will shed light on it, I will probably have to.

Last note: why? Why the change? What was not working about the old system? Why are these changes being made? There is no explanation anywhere in the blog.

I am going, right now, to go cash out every last eligible referral I have as PLEX. I hope this is not a catastrophic and stupid choice but without more details, how would I know? This makes me feel really crappy overall. I don’t know how else to put it.

(elitatwo) #24

I wanted to click the sad-face icon.

Dear Chance, you are not the only one being concerned. Kudos on your part, bringing many new folks in and I hope you get your rewards, you earned them.

What really bugs me is that every new dev blog gets a “what did they do now??” question in my mind and no longer the “something cool is about to happen”, which happened in 2008 for the last time and 4 more times in 2012 when the tiericide started.

(boernl) #25

who the hell are you to tell me to be quiet ??

(Zarvox Toral) #26

Agree completely with Chance I just don’t get this. I read it just facepalming - wtf are they nerfing recruitment rewards for…

Currently I get a pretty good reward of 500 PLEX with no cap for a good portion of people who Omega after using my ref link - and I’ve had about 150 of people recruited go onto Omega. Now I see that this is going to be probably capped at 40, with no concrete mention of whether current PLEX rewards will stay even for those 40. Just hand-wavy stuff apart from the 40 cap 0.o

I don’t know if you guys realise but taking away gigantic potential rewards from the most prolific recruiters is perhaps the exact opposite of a good idea if growing the playerbase is considered a good thing?

I just don’t get it. Are CCP meetings like “Hey guys Eve player numbers are going through the roof, we don’t need more players, lets nerf recruitment rewards through the floor for our most prolific recruiters”

I mean I think the current rewards are okay, but I would also think that since like, more players are good, maybe BUFFING the recruitment rewards is a good idea? No?

I guess that’s why I’m no game designer lol

(Zarvox Toral) #27

I guess my own two cents for CCP would be

If the new reward system, is by any measure whatsoever, a reduction from the current system, I implore you dudes to rethink. Seriously. Why in god’s name would you want to nerf the return to people doing the work and bringing in new blood (ESPECIALLY the people who’ve brought in 40+ Omegas) - it just boggles my mind!

I don’t even care for myself, I get donated way more isk by viewers than I get from recruitment. I just facepalm so hard trying to understand the point of penalising whoever is somehow able to recruit more than 40 omegas. Jesus.

edit: I may be jumping the gun here. Maybe the new proposed system still gives 500PLEX as currently but @CCP_Falcon didn’t include this information yet, although with the only mention being “PLEX being up for grabs” I somehow doubt it. Please, some concrete info would be great, especially given that the proposed change is occuring in about 48 hours!

(boernl) #28

zarvox i personaly think that by fighting the sp farms they lose track of the normal recruiters who are actualy brining in new ppl

(Zarvox Toral) #29

Dude if the actual reason for these sweeping changes can be described as “SP farming is broken so we’re going to nerf recruitment rewards” then - well I dunno. Lets just say I need to get back to Earth before the ■■■■■■■ Stargate closes

(boernl) #30

it is not the firts time ccp created a feature and than nerved the result of it i cant say i didnt see this coming but its like cleaning up the water after breaking the tap
im not just talking abotu the skill extractors / injectors im mroe talkign abotu the alphas

(Arthur Aihaken) #31

It was meant in jest. Sorry if that wasn’t readily apparent…

(Makavi Madeveda) #32

CCP has to delay rewards because tons of inactive accounts never even bothered to claim their recruitment rewards before hitting the uninstall button, and somehow think another fail recruiting system will fix that. Why the hell would anyone who actually cared about someone recommend this game to that person? This is the game you recommend to random twats on foums you’ll never visit again once done spamming your recruitment link, and people you just genuinely hate and want to blow up. I only play the damn game because 1.) I hate myself more than any douchenozzle here ever could and 2.) my other interactive wallpapers got boring.