Dev Blog: October Balance Pass!

Like I said, check out the book. It’s pretty good.

Expertise is good and very useful as a source of advice and inspiration, but not as an replacement for logic, arguments and own judgment :wink:

Logic, arguments and judgment don’t matter much when you don’t have the knowledge needed to make them useful. Being able to tell that is important.

Would you let a guy who looks like a homeless person do your taxes just because he sounds like he knows what he’s doing?

Excellent criteria for a good expertise… I always knew how important the clothing is :smiley:
I will stop here, thank you.

Now you’re just being obtuse.

The question then, is whether the argument is objective or subjective. In a subjective argument, yes, the qualifications of the person matter. For exactly the subjects you describe, the qualifications do matter.

BUT. Since you bring up wardecs. If I were to say “according to the numbers, wardecs are harmful to player retention”, it wouldn’t matter if I’ve ever been involved in a wardec. And I’ve not been - we’ve been decced but we’re a nullsov and we’ve got logistics services that are all in NPC.

My assertion about wardecs, even though I’m not speaking from experience, is no more or less true than it was before. The merits of that assertion can be challenged absolutely. But at that point, we’re going from a subjective argument (I believe that…) to objective (the facts suggest that…).

Credibility only comes into play when one makes an unfounded assertion. If one cannot provide reasoned proof for their argument, it can be discarded with the same lack of reasoned proof. In a nutshell, Hitchen’s Razor.

Would you let a man in a suit do it because he looks like he knows what he’s doing?

Nope - I’d want to see his killboard first.

You’d want to see his qualifications. I get that. But what if the homeless dude with no qualifications were to say “oh well you can claim X amount for Y because of Z”, it wouldn’t matter if he was the head of your gov’t tax revenue agency or a homeless bum with zero qualification.

One cannot however discard his assertion out of hand. If a reasoned argument were provided, it would need to be debated on merit of the argument made (X Y and Z). As opposed to “you aren’t a CPA, you don’t know what you’re talking about”.

I’m not saying seeking credentials is bad. And I’m not saying you yourself are discarding arguments out-of-hand. But others on these forums do.

Good that you don’t want to see his underwear… :rofl:

Your mind cannot function autonomous, is obvious. Brain is like a muscle, and his functions works the same, if you not exert them, they go away.

Is very saddening that in the land were the freedom and personal autonomy are at high value, there are many people with not enough cognitive support to get them implemented.

See… the problem with skill injectors is that there are of course skill extractors. It appears you extracted reading comprehension. Go ahead and inject that one back. Then go ahead and read about what an analogy is. THEN go ahead and see who initially used that analogy.

/sigh.

1 Like

Nothing does. An analogy is a similar scenario or illustrative scenario. In this case, the point was to provide a clear example whereby one could illustrate that appearance means nothing when speaking about credentials. Further illustrated was the point that irrespective of credentials, the arguments they make can still be correct or incorrect. From that, we infer that appearance and credential are ultimately irrelevant when the proponent uses a reasoned argument.

Most people understand this. Which is why I suggested you do some preliminary reading, because it’s obvious and something that you shouldn’t have needed to have explained to you.

Maybe it’s because you aren’t actually contributing anything of intelligence to the conversation. Which seems likely, given that other posts of yours without personal attacks got flagged and hidden as well.

Dear CCP,
you miserably failed, you have to nerf ECM again.

CCP%20failed%20-%20ECM%20still%20annoying

what about Steam connections will there be a issue with capsular who are on steam,
Что касается подключений Steam, будет ли проблема с капсульными, которые находятся на steam,

Agreed. This is Far to big of a nerf. Defending a mining fleet against a tackle is pointless, unless you plan on sacrificing the jamming ship. Change the mechanic, but if ECMs have No chance of jamming their target as before, there only use is to sacrifice themselves for the fleet. Rooks are now nearly worthless, as a PvP ship, or any use at all. Falcons can use there range, and hope to jam and get away, but having guns on it is now useless. Anyone want to buy a Widow, Rook and Falcons cheap. They might work for bait. WTF!?
Not Happy. o7

1 Like

Nerf to ECM is just wrong.

While I agree that being Jammed isn’t nice for the person on the other end of the stick, there are counters for it. You always are on the lookout for MJD ships that can pretty much land on your face now when operating at near max range etc.

can we at least have a bonus to ecm burst for them to re-enable the “possibility” of being able to bail and relocate on the battlefield. therefore giving the ecm pilot in his paper thin ship a chance to evac all be it a very well timed one.

Plus maybee a reduction in MJD time for a widow so they can at least have a better chance to blip 100km away from a dropped target maybee ?

what about a new module, only fitted to ECM class ships that :

1: will jam the targetted ship, but with 50% less “chance”
2: only 1 can be fitted to a ship , therefore if jamming 4 guys, only 1 is out of the fight

People who do solo pvp with griffins deserve to be thrown under the bus! :ghost:

You must know what they say about silent majority. If you only see handful of players posting here it only means that general population opinion is somewhere between “accepted” and “stopped (or never cared) to care about game, CCP and CSM altogether”.

Now that this guy is gone, are ECM and 'cepters are going to be put back the way they were, so they are actually useful?

3 Likes