Dev blog: Preparing For The Future – Retirement of EVE Voice

The wording of CCP Explorer’s post is really worrisome as it suggests CCP plans to disconnect chat from game functionality. So we already lost game integration with the new forum, I fear we will lose an organic and efficient game integration with the new chat too.

@Steve_Ronuken @Jin_taan hope you have an eye on this development.

3 Likes

Captain’s Quarters was discontinued?! Actually, anything that moves the game forward is perfectly reasonable- Eve voice was good at start but was quickly overtaken by 3rd party solutions.

1 Like

I’m surprised Eve Voice lasted this long. Good choice to stop wasting resources supporting it. :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed for out of game access to the XMPP service! :grin:

1 Like

While EVE Voice was a great idea, if it is holding back a sorely needed 64-Bit Client, i’m all for it. The 7+ Years i’ve played eve, i’ve used it maybe twice, and both were instances that could have been done via convos as well.

Great for multiboxers!

Is there a plan or a direction for multithreading nodes for large fights?

[quote=“Po_Huit, post:55, topic:58460, full:true”] The fact that the former was chosen makes me really concerned that ~Walking In Stations~ — sorry, “64-bit client” is being used as an excuse to put EVE deeper into low-cost maintenance mode.
[/quote]

Yep. The culling of features, the failure of VR, Dust 514 and WiS, and mass-sacking of the community team is making me doubtful about the future of this game. It’s like chopping up the piano to use as firewood.

3 Likes

Honestly, as much as I’d love to see WiS done right, I’d hate to have had CCP do it wrong.
Basic, WiS, ported over or copied from other resources, would likely feel like walking through empty hallways. It’d never live up to the lore of the game, of stations providing homes and places of employment for millions of non pilots.

Having seen some of the things that SW:G and AO did wrong, in the former, empty “cities” and a cap on shuttleports that led to minimal, if any, turnover on the ownership of shuttleports, and in the latter, the wasted potential that player housing never grew to fill*, I have to say I’m glad WiS never happened.

Eve is better for not having such broken features as full WiS would likely have been.

*Edit. I can’t swear to this. I’ve not played much since they introduced player owned cities. I’m referring to the newbie garden apartments that you could only place ten items in. The eleventh disappeared.
Also, you couldn’t leave the apartment door open to serve as a trophy room to interested visitors.

As far as I’m aware, at the moment there are no plans to change things.

I’ve seen, in the past, suggestions of a revamp to intelligence systems, which would be a disconnect of local as an intelligence source. Mostly because it’s a ‘perfect’ source, with little effort required. But this is something which hasn’t been discussed in anything more than pie in the sky, ‘maybe someday, when we have free time’ terms.

Are you planning to remove our ability to post (clickable) links in chat and ability to rename links? :rage:

2 Likes

I disagree with your assertion that there is no effort required. Your attention is required. Someone’s name popping up on local doesn’t announce itself, and if you’re busy hacking a can, or fending off rats, or worse, alt-tabbed to your web browser while your exhumer filled itself, you can miss it.

Any player created replacement would, naturally, omit that weakness, and be harder to police.
How hard is it, really, to start a new account, PLEX it to buy skills and gear, feed it enough skills to sit cloaked off gate and nothing else?
How hard would it be to truly know that some seemingly AFK player wasn’t a bot whose only purpose was to announce the arrival of anyone who crossed the gate it was watching?
How difficult to connect to another account, when it can be set up to run unattended at ones place of employment, or using a neighbors wifi? With all monies used to purchase it going through e-pay solutions that aren’t used for the main account, such as a second PayPal account, or maybe even a Visa Giftcard?

Voice transform filters were somewhat unique feature. Loved it, never had a chance to use it on practice though

1 Like

Can we have a chat bubble above the ship to chat with nearby pilot without need to ask for private comversation with him like any MMO game, it was easier to chat then :wink:

Thanks

1 Like

Not upset about EVE Voice going away. It never worked for us.

We tried Mumble (client too buggy) and Discord (no guaranteed EULA privacy, more social media crap) before settling on the best Teamspeak3 (purchased license, not free version) for voice communications. We discourage the use of ALL in-game text chat (local, corp, fleet and alliance) to avoid misunderstandings. Plus text is a distraction when your eyes should be on your ship and task, not reading and replying via keyboard.

Congrats to CCP_Seagul on the recent family addition. We missed seeing you give us video updates! You conveyed hope for EVE’s future and got us excited for more. Please talk to us again soon, only so much CCP_Guard we can take. :slight_smile: Just playing Guard, lol.

P.S. We have Ventrilo4 also, but too much effort to equalize voices to same volume. It’s ok as a 2nd to TS3 though.

1 Like

Saw it arrive … loved it. Was a great Corp meeting place and small gang comunicator.
No download program setup, no sign up, register, put bloody settings in, email to get registered, check settings, why doesn’t it work! Wtf …
Seeing it go,
Oh well … I hope that what ever replaces it is simple to use.
Signed
Grumpy old man

2 Likes

Exactly 100% my thoughts as well.

3 Likes

Again 100% my thoughts as well.

CCP, you should be looking to make this game self sufficient and operate independently without having to rely on 3rd party apps. Over time those apps will become outdated and eventually be discontinued.

Basically you’re placing your house of stone on a foundation of sand located next to an ocean.

1 Like

operate independently without having to rely on 3rd party apps. Over time those apps will become outdated and eventually be discontinued.

They don’t depend on specific apps.
That way when T3 becomes outdated you can switch to Discord. And when discord becomes outdated you switch to whatever is all the rage then.

Unless you see all voice comms vanish in the foreseeable future I don’t see your point.

1 Like

We are not seeing any 32-bit Windows 10 systems, but 32-bit Windows 10 could only be obtained as an upgrade from the 32-bit version of Windows 7 or 8.1.

Comparing 32-bit Windows 7 vs. 64-bit Windows 7 then the ratio is 0.3% vs. 99.7%. For Windows 8 and 8.1 combined then it’s 0.03% vs. 99.97%.

1 Like

It’s been discussed and may happen later.

2 Likes