Dev blog: Preparing For The Future – Retirement of EVE Voice

EvE lives with this for 15 years just fine. As many things like the “nullification is a problem” I think it’s a symptom of some greater issue (sov mechanics favor chicken fleets), rather than a problem on it’s own. People complain about local, because of intel bots and ratters (and bots) who don’t need to commit to what they are doing.

I did not mention bias and politics here, though I believe putting nullification on the top list was the result of heavy null bias in order to make nullsec and ratting / botting, RMT safer.

1 Like

No visible changes to functionality.

2 Likes

Discord is also web-based, in addition to having client and apps for multiple platforms. It’s really easy to send someone a private link to a web-based voice chat session on Discord.

1 Like

No features will be lost when text chat is replaced.

2 Likes

Local will be unchanged.

2 Likes

Local in wormholes will also be unchanged.

1 Like

Both discord and teamspeak can send direct links to the server and channel you are in. Including password.

How do you manage to get in incompatible Teamspeak version?

Oh really, they don’t depend on specific apps? The Official Eve Online forums use to be an independent in-house app provided by CCP, now it’s a 3rd party app that CCP is depending on to host their forums. If Discourse get’s shut down for any reason whatsoever, then they have to reinvest even more time and effort into finding and designing another one.

Evelopedia was an independent in-house app as well. Now CCP is depending on various other 3rd party wiki’s to stay active and updated with Eve information.

Having to switch to some other 3rd party app because the one currently being used is outdated or discontinued is not a good business decision when all that invested time and effort could have easily been put into making their own in-house app much better.

1 Like

I don’t know of any unknown unknowns, but I know there are no known unknowns.

This is always a decision on a case-by-case basis.

We switched from our self-hosted in-house developed forums since Discourse’s software and service was a better option than continuing to maintain them. We are deprecating EVE Voice since among others then Discord is a popular option with players. We are moving a number of services to the cloud, running Docker images in Kubernetes clusters in AWS.

We are maintaining our own graphics and physics engines because they are the best tools for EVE’s particular purpose. We operate Tranquility, the simulation cluster, ourselves (but of course in a datacenter operated by another company).

We use Microsoft’s Visual Studio but on the other end we use CCP Stackless Python. Most of the programmers use PyCharm from JetBrains. We also use JetBrain’s TeamCity CI/CD server.

We use Microsoft’s SQL Server for dynamic data (player data, inventory, etc) but on the other end we have an in-house developed File Static Data pipeline (for static data, inventory types and such).

6 Likes

So you are saying that you know that you don’t know of any unknown unknowns?

1 Like

On the contrary, we’re removing features that hold us back on the tech front in one way or another, and to make the maintenance and future development more manageable.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response and if it was one or two things I would probably buy into that but, just off the top of my head (I am sure there are others)

• Jukebox
  • In game browser
  • Custom UI colour sliders
  • Advanced audio options
  • Eve Gate
  • Captains Quarters
  • The Community Team
  • and now Eve Voice

All of those have been cut and on top of that we get the almost cessation of Dev Blogs / interaction on the forums over the last year. Then there is cancellation of Dust, the sale of Valkyrie and well it just looks like CCP are trying to minimise costs and development of Eve Online.

Sorry, but thats what it looks like to me.

edit:- other dropped features

• Chronicles
  • World News Items
  • Scope Videos
  • Evelopedia
2 Likes

You forgot Evelopedia in your list.

1 Like

Oh good one. Thanks

1 Like

Also the in-house Eve Online Forums.

time to turn the Chat bubble off too , It will be retired as well in next few years if you not listen your players now. No one using it and it only takes space.

4 Likes

Oh, now I know what you mean. Sorry for the confusion. I thought you where only talking about Voice Comms.

Like @CCP_Explorer said, you just can’t everything inhouse. Should they write their own IDE and bucktracker? What about the libraries?

Where would you draw the line?

2 Likes

Never used Eve Voice, but its quite sad that you widraw from this project. Star Trek Online still have one, despite it works as it works. Still, relaying on 3 party software, not on the main software could be troublesome. But, if this dont work properly or its beeing used rather not so often and generating much stress on mainframe, its rather good choice to widraw from this option.

1 Like

The chat bubble won’t be turned off.
Stats say 10% of players use it,… or at least click on it.
It passes the 3% threshold.