Dev blog: Preparing For The Future – Retirement of EVE Voice

In addition to this list then we have stopped supporting all Windows versions Vista and older. We only support graphics cards with Shader Model 3 (we used to support Shader Model 2). We still support DirectX 9 but we are monitoring usage with the aim of only supporting DirectX 11 and later at some point in the future. We have removed our Twitch integration, we have removed the old camera and scanner and the old map is pending removal at some point. We have re-done the HUD & targeting and character sheet & skill training to the point that the old systems can be considered gone. We have removed PhysX/Apex, Bink, Morpheme, Kynapse (but kept Granny, Telemetry, Simplygon).

We are always trying to optimise the development cost of EVE Online and it is absolutely necessary to remove features, technology and tools to manage the maintenance cost.

4 Likes

…by accident. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Most of those are not features players interact with they are technology either the hardware kind (SM3 / PhysX) or software kind (XP / Vista) they are part of the constantly updating civilisation we are part of. Players expect to have to upgrade their hardware / OS eventually.

Game features in that list like the map, hud, scanning, skill sheet you have replaced they have not been thrown away. The items on my list have not been replaced simply binned (note I did not put the forums in there) (yes I will concede that we can still pick the UI colour and have some audio options but they are *very * limited).

1 Like

Since they give us fixed window, I’ll concede that the jukebox was no longer needed. I could alt-tab to another source.
I still miss the browser. Especially the special, in-game links. I can sorta understand why they removed it, but I’d have preferred they managed some integration layer with an existing browser, and put the window in the game than having done away with it completely.

Oh. and if anyone says something about editing chat would be good, because it’s all about the ideas, and not the ego, that person is being shortsighted about potential abuse. But, clearly, I said it before anyone else brought it up, so I’m not talking about anyone in particular.

1 Like

I wonder for how long. :thinking:

I really liked EVE voice simply because it was an easy way to enable voice communication with random EVE players. While I can understand that alliances don’t need it, it is really very useful for random interaction in context of faction warfare, mining expeditions etc. I will miss it for sure.

2 Likes

I rolled this toon, my first alt, into CAS intentionally because “CAS does stuff” and I have participated in several CCDs with both my main and my alt. By the time I first tried participating, I had already DLed and used Teamspeak for Spectre Fleets and Mumble for Red vs. Blue Ganked fleets. I don’t think Discord was yet a thing.

So, I already had multiple 3rd party voice comms tools before my first CAS Combat Day. And yes, like the man said, getting socket closed and thus losing your comms along with being booted out of the game sucks. Also, I had several times when EVE Voice would just fail on me despite still being in game and everything else being seemingly fine. Very hard to keep up with the fleet in nullsec or lowsec while not being able to hear comms.

So, as much as I can sympathize with CAS FCs not wanting to have to deal with herding dozens of newbro cats into 3rd party voice comms, in the end it will be a positive change. And hey, the pain of making jump clones is much less severe now and there’s no need to buy clone insurance anymore, so… now instead there’ll be the “get all the new guys to DL Teamspeak (or whatever)” waiting period at the start of fleet instead of the “get all the new guys to make sure they’re in a blank clone before we go to nullsec” portion of pre-fleet.

1 Like

Another excellent call by our Devs. I had to look up what EVE Voice was. Being used by 0.4% of our pilots, indeed! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@CCP_Explorer As for the new chat system. Will there be possible later with the new chat system to edit the posts we have posted in chats, like you can do on Facebook for example?

I mean, if you type and post something in the chats and have 2 spelling errors. Then it would be a nice feature to have to be able to edit that and correct those spelling errors.

Is this even possible to do and is there any plans for that?

Just to burst your bubble a bit:

The forums and evelopedia weren’t developed by CCP. Modified by them yes, but not developed. (Evelopedia was mediawiki, for example)

Discourse is available as an open source application, so if CCP needed to, they could bring it in house.

1 Like

Chat and a wall are completely different things. You absolutely should NOT be able to edit your chats. It’s bad communication. Correcting your spelling after the fact with a * is also bad communication. The only times a person should attempt to correct their spelling is either before you hit enter, or if the spelling is so bad it makes the message incomprehensible. If neither of those are the case, leave it alone. If your brain won’t let you leave it alone, get a new brain. Ruining chat for people with ruined brains isn’t acceptable.

And why are spelling correction a bad thing in communication?

Not everyone is native english writer / speaker, so it for sure helps those out in having a better communication.

1 Like

Mediawiki is also a free open source application.

Because chats are a real time text equivalent of a spoken conversation. You can’t take back what you’ve spoken once it’s out there. Language is irrelevant. You’re allowed to spell things wrong, communication isn’t about spelling, it’s about ideas. Consider, you post something in chat, I start writing up a response to it, and then you completely erase what you originally said and change the meaning of the statement I’m responding to. Now I have half a post written, now what do I do? Did the asshole really pretend he never said what he actually said, and now I have to go along with his lie? Do I say “screw you, I’m responding to what you originally said, and if you don’t like it you can bite me”?

The only way spelling matters is ego. You think you’re smarter than you present yourself. If you want people to think you are as smart as you think you are, then work on your spelling. Before you hit the enter key.

RIP. Good call.

1 Like

There are no plans for that.

Ok, thanks for the answer.

I somewhat missed something or this game grom previose greatness is becomeing poor and even worser from year after year. Removeing many things would be very bad for gameplay and functionality. I use Intel Graphic Card and Directx9 and its quite ok if you ask me cause Graphic of this gamę is not So great to use ony 11. Its quite ordinary game with ordinary Graphic. Star Trek Online got better Graphic and got much lesser Hardware expectations.

1 Like

Yes. your point is?

The Eve wiki being killed was about reducing the management workload. Because it’s not like it’s good practice to deploy something, then never update it.

Moving the forums to Discourse reduced the management workload (by making it discourse’s problem.) However, if they were to go down, CCP could bring back their own version. So using ‘but Discourse could die!!!eleventyone!!’ isn’t a viable argument.

2 Likes

It was quite useful in the first days of the factional warfare many years ago. When factions were forming actual fleets.
On the other hand removing this will definitely help the development process. Good call removing it.