Dev blog: Preparing For The Future – Retirement of EVE Voice

In old times, Eve online was rather more colorefull and full of options with prognose to even expand the variety of options. Now it looks like a downfall. Its a quite shame that low budget productions would be haveing much more to ofer than this software.

1 Like

The mythical “64-bit client” has been used to justify killing several features recently. I just hope in the end that what we’re losing will be worth what we’re supposed to get.

By the way, what’s the timetable on such a client? I’m guessing Soon ™.

3 Likes

64 bit client ? I See that Eve online want to sacrifice nearly everything to be up to date with Hardware evolution. Despite 64 bit, many software even New still roamingu on 34. Its maybe older, but better developed.

1 Like

There isn’t a lot of regular consumer software that needs large amounts of memory, but EVE greatly benefits from more memory.

1 Like

Just like Excel! :smiley:

(please don’t hate me.)

2 Likes

Maybe so. Developers choice. Still, better graphics wont replace functionality.

1 Like

Not true, most things are moving away from 32 bit. The huge performance improvements in Windows 10 are from them ripping out huge chunks of win32 apis out. Even apple is making all applications required 64 bit in the near future…

Idiots clearing chat with a stream of newlines is not enough of an issue for you? (Not that that could not be solved…)
You want to dump entire Enciclopedia Britannica into one message?

Chicken and egg. The very use of Dx9 preventing them from implementing more cool features of, say, Dx11.

Maybe so. Still, other productions like Entropia Universe or other Virtuals use DX9 and got much more features than DX11. What i mean is going to DX11 and 64 bit vlient will of course give better graphics, but with the cost of functionality and options that we can take. This we see now, where bmany of options are beeing kicked out and scraped cause canot be merged to 64 client.

1 Like

Overlay has nothing to do with voice comms, it’s not even an important feature, barely standing as quality improvement. Considering the fact many people play EVE windowed, it hardly adds much, when a TS channel window is open right next to the game.

I’ve long since decided to not comment on “other products” when discussing possibility or feasibility of features in comparison. You’d have to know both products VERY well, and usually this is not the case.
May be they are supporting ONLY Dx9, that’s also the possibility for a business model. Concentrating on a single market, they could afford more time invested in polishing their features. But it is also a road to the dead end. Once that API gets deprecated, their time will also die.

Maybe so. Still lack of many many options will be present during a long time. Functionality will also downgrade. Now there is a 33 thousand of players on server when in 2016 there where much more present. Market decided what is the best course of action. And belive me, looking at the falling count of players online this is nit the best course of action.

1 Like

/Automatic/ spelling correction bad.
Because, for example, an often seen “spelling correction” in Russian is changing “cellphone” to “grave(tomb)”.
I’m sure you could easily find equally amusing corrections in any language.

Speaking of missing features, I’m lacking normal map behavior.
I wonder when they are going to make new map actually usable.

If you care about ideas, then you are happy that your interlocutor decided to communicate more effectively.

If you care about ego and status, then you get bent out of shape that your totally awesome reply is no longer relevant (meaning no internet points for u!).

Funny how the latter, rather than former, leads to whining about editing. :heart_eyes:

Was the workload to maintain forum functionality (as opposed to moderation) particularly high? Or was the effort to keep the forum “modern” (feature-wise) the biggest time sink?

1 Like

EVE Online is an advanced chat client as you probably are aware of. Ofc you are supposed to be able to write, and write alot without having to worry about a way to small character limit system with that.

Just look at how many peoples actually hates the Twitter character limitation to figure out that such a small limit is bad.

1 Like

The forums breaking was becoming more and more common as time passed.

Scaling is always an issue, as more data enters. Bits of it were getting huge.

OK. I vaguely remember something about scaling issues --especially wrt to certain threads-- but for some reason I keep recalling something about modernizing design and functionality being a big talking point.

Doesn’t matter for this thread, so I will drop it. Thanks for the clarification though.

1 Like