Dev blog: Security Update - Q3 2018

• 1469 account bans for account hacking
  • 3388 account bans for botting related activities
  • 4953 account bans for RMT related activities

How about some details on these.
And how about you do something about the ISBOXER miners and gankers.

1 Like

@CCP_Falcon have you guys ever thought about introducing a RMT-hunter bounty program?

3 Likes

I would just be satisfied with a standings reset for nuking all those bots.
I am approaching 200 killed. And reported.

Some free security tags too :grin:

4 Likes

They’re more disappointing numbers, in comparison to historic trends, particularly when put in perspective of the development of automation of account/character creation over the years, particularly since F2P. Keep in mind it isn’t a daily metric, it’s batch based. There’s long periods for example where nothing happens, where focus is - as example - on external rmt data, after which focus switches back to bot reports and the results of analysis is put in a queue.

That second bit, yeah that is a very interesting question. Particularly as automation of character creation / completion has become quite the thing since the introduction of Alpha’s. But also because it is an interesting bit of metrics in regards to filtering type of bot usage (individual / organised). At least this was the case in the past, at minimum it’s interesting to see how that has evolved. As a thought on the side though, in light of the toning down of warning/sanction mechanisms, it’d be neat to see how much of the data is actually cumulative / repetitive.

4 Likes

The fact this is being done more often I mean the bans will make it harder for the botters to set up and make good money which hopefully will drive them off to easier games to exploit.
Now the numbers are well pretty hefty the RMT related numbers are not necessarily separate from botting numbers but for the sale of math here let’s say 3000bots making 30mil/hour over an average and very conservative 6 hours daily for 3 months is that 48 trilion atleast injected every 3 months into EVE by bots for years now?

Why is this relevant? Like at all?

Why is this char thing important? The player (!!!) needs to get punished. Just banning the bots but not the botters (aka the player making the bot accounts) is laughable at best, I hope you understand that.

I want all accounts of that player stripped and deleted. By just banning the bots you effectively do nothing. Due to the magic of SP injection just banning the bots every now and then does not even fight the issue. It enables players to just write off a predictable loss and still profit from botting.

ISBoxer is only against the rules if you’re broadcasting commands to clients.

Hello Falcon,

Well its getting a bit ridiculous !
Lets talk about our favourite Nyx Botter.

The link below describes how the PIRAT / Kids with guns Alliance Botting Network works. Some could say that is written by a different guy to accusate Shtirlizz and his friends to be botters.
Well i all i can say is the timeline in the reddit post is absolute correct. When Shtirlizzs alt army got caught in omist he transferred the leadership of pirat to the guys described in the post below. He prepared himself to get banned (but it didnt happen.). One of his best friends in game told me by accident that he got a 200bn Alliance tournament ship gifted from him. (Just check the killboard link below und look for the guy who flys an Adrestia). Shtirilizz is still ingame and sitting docked in jita 44 but his well known alts ( IIe4aJIb & Wsd) are still active and in game. So far to the botting activities from PIRAT. The other EULA breaking activity from these guys is theirs syncronized Rattlesnake fleet (They are aligning,locking all at once and are played by one single guy) ( The Rattlesnake Characters:
Anara Rital,Soliic Malitar,Leto Z’hansu,Olan Draselac,Rob Locksley,Khromius). Well i wrote petitions and forums posts to it nothing happend. So i guess its ok for CCP when PIRAT is acting outside of every eve & eula ruleset.

1 Like

Whole lot easier on everyone if when banning software that you either ban it completely, or not at all. Not “if you only use this part, you’re okay”.

You are worried about botters, RMT people, what about the cloaky camper scums CCP support so much in the game. Get rid of that and maybe some people may care to clean up your game.

That is what I am saying.

AFK-cloaking is not against the EULA or ToS. RMT and hacking are.

2 Likes

Strange thing have you experienced your ship suddenly just flying off from where you park it, I have, me thinks it part of a new way to detect bots.

@Paul_Brinkhoff

ok then ban the player behind the bot … how you want to do it?
explain!
new mailadress … new paypal … new account … new char … but the player behinde is the same as befor … so how you want to change that?
do you want to chip the guys brain so he cant play again?

JuuR

got a few accounts yea, but it wont stop them from just plexing a new account with a random name under teh account. the question in fact is, how can ccp know who is actually behind the account, and can they control the botters/hackers/cheaters thru that channel?

and would that be legal, moral, and or deemed rather extensive and inappropriate. I for one have never really thought I needed to make an account with a different name, but I guess in this case it would be a necessity actually. unless ccp doesnt bother at all looking at the person behind the account when they are a known botter or whatever.

think im trying to say anyone stupid enough to use their real name on an account that is conducting illegal activities is retarded and deserves to get their faces banned from eve. maybe ccp need facial recognition or like, your webcam gets streamed when you log on regardless of your approval. that would be kinda creepy, except i want a lil miny guy in the cockpit of my rifter with my face from my webcam photocroped onto the figure in the rifter … and my head needs to turn left when i look left and right when i look right or it will look bads

I’m glad to hear CCP is attempting to reduce botting.

And I’d like to see a reduction in RMT. But its hard to get excited about anti-RMT enforcement since CCP itself is the worst RMT perpetrator. RMT sucks because it lets people who are willing and able to spend lots of RM get ahead in the game other than by playing the game (ie cheat). Of course CCP encourages this cheating for the sake of their profit by directly selling in game assets for RM. They don’t mind RMT philosophically or for how it damages the game. They just dislike the competition.

High Sec Gankers taking in a lot of ISK from their kills, at least 2.3 million U.S. dollars worth in destroyed assets, has there been any discussion of the ISK that they bring as possibly being part of the RMT that are then used to fund bots that can fly titans and Super Capitals?

The High Sec Gankers once relished in their acts of ant-botting but have since moved into more simpler antics of ganking which makes them far more ISK and takes less effort than hunting down bots.

Seeing as how one of the recent bots in the event hosted by CCP came from one of the top alliances, who is footing the real world cash to fund titan bots for the alliances? I doubt the average player would simply fork over 85 billion ISK to fund a Titan bot.

Just a thought that might improve the player ran markets of New Eden if such an investigation did prove correct.

CCP should invest in a new security measure where each the player would have to also inform CCP to who their service provider is. Once provided and verified the player would receive a unique ID number that only the service provider and CCP would know about that would be linked to the players use of the Internet through the service provider. If any unusual masking of the players IP address took place, a red flag would go up at the service provider who would then inform CCP so that CCP launch its own investigation.

@DrysonBennington
you really think thats legal?

JuuR

Its legal, because you can ask, not take. Is it acceptable to the gaming community, ethical, workable, and proportionate……… nope