Dev blog: Upwell 2.0 - Structures Changes Coming On February 13th!

I believe you just proposed the concept of a “bait structure”. That could be interesting.

Mda nothing change…

I want this too. More specifically, a cap-specific dps cap. I made a thread on it earlier, in pf&i.

Removing the cap is a bit much. But making them die faster would absolutely encourage more caps to be dropped on stuff and things. Which means more chances for capital escalations, and more chances for caps to die.

2 Likes

I agree with @Old_Pervert. Having shields but no armor in low-power mode makes no sense and breaks immersion. Having zero shields is much more believable.

However, I think the point of this is about the reinforcement timers. With shields and no armor, the low-power structure can be attacked anytime and any day. With no shields and armor, the structure can only be attacked at a certain time, but on any day. Time-zone tanking would still be fully in effect.

Would it be possible to swap the reinforcement effects and then set shields to zero? Or set all shield resists to 0? Or something that makes blapping the shields effectively zero effort?

Also, I love that hacking player structures is now possible. I can see this going many places.

2 Likes

two words: miner bumping.

that’s actually one word… :stuck_out_tongue:

The game since the beginning has been low/null ores in low/null and now we’re just throwing that out the window because CPP thinks the price of gases is too high because they couldn’t see it coming on lifeblood release. Load of poo

1 Like

The Standup M-Set Moon Drilling Efficiency I, Standup M-Set Moon Drilling Stability I, and Standup L-Set Moon Drilling Proficiency I, plus their T2 variations are not usable in high sec, is this planned or an oversight?

1 Like

I’m not sure it needs to be that complex.

“The first timer can happen any time” is all you need to say about it. Whether that first timer is chewing shields or armor, feels like a moot point.

1 Like

this thread is a little hard to follow… I am not sure if the thoughts and opinions are the same as the majority of the playerbase in game. there seems to be a lot of information missing.
a few things I am aware of:
Upwells are supposed to replace POSes…
Upwells can now do almost everything POSes do and bring a significant level of QOL to what POSes were supposed to be.
Upwells still lack the “Dickstar” configuration… (why are you crying that they are too hard to take down?!)
Upwells are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive that POSes configured to dickstar level. and are easier to take down than a dickstar. (again the negative rants here feel like im living in an alternate universe where things dont make sense)
Upwells out of the box have lower maintenance costs than what would be required for a POS similarly configured.

i dont know i dont get it. at this point im too afarid to ask.

1 Like

Using the GTFO in highsec sounds like fun …

1 Like

After thinking about it more, I’m a bit more sure in my opinion that the Standup GTFO module should not go through. There are just many potential problems stemming from it, and even if it’s balanced decently, it still will likely make for frustrating gameplay and an overall poor experience. It also doesn’t make much sense to make a module that can completely remove people from a fight. It would be one hung if this transported people on the same grid, entirely another when you basically get put in a penalty box until you can return.

Assuming this as the baseline, and the general belief that structures should be force multipliers instead of fleets of their own, I believe that using modules mirroring the gameplay of Phenomena Generators (PGens) would be a much more suitable option. It can directly impact the balance of power in any given situation, but also can have clear counterplay available. Depending on how the PGens penalties and bonuses work, it could even offer opportunities for a structure to provide bonuses directly to their own fleet, instead of increasing the pressure of difficulty on the attackers.

In situations where a GTFO could be abused to great effect and frustration, PGens could alter the balance of power, adding strengths or weaknesses to be taken advantage of. In situations where a PGen causes issues for an attacking fleet, there are clear and simple options to use to prepare for that.

With that in mind, there are also the numerous different possible combinations of bonuses/penalties that could be added together for a variety of different enemy or friendly fleet compositions.

For example, let’s look at something like the Gallente PGen. It’s effects are:

+30% Armor hitpoints
+10% Explosive resistances
-15% Thermal resistances
-10% Remote shield booster effectiveness.

This has potential to be used offensively and defensively. If the attacking fleet is shield (let’s assume shield is viable for a moment), this module has a direct impact on logistics strength, and also penalizes what is typically the second weakest resistance for shields. At the same time, this could also be used on a friendly armor fleet to give a massive bonus to armor hp and helps fill the usual explosive holes. Of course there is still the thermal penalty to worry about, but since standup PGens do not need to follow the exact same rules as their Titan counterparts, this penalty could be removed or exchanged for something else.

Here are some attributes that could be bonused/penalized:

• Warp speed
  • Agility
  • Mass
  • Sensor strength
  • Weapon tracking/range/damage
  • Propulsion module bonus
  • Repair module cycle time
  • Drone control range
  • Cap transfer amount
  • Heat damage/cool down
  • Command burst effectiveness/range
  • Resistances/HP
  • Signature radius

Just from this incomplete list above, the variety of experiences between different fleets expands dramatically. Every new structure attack or defense would be a new challenge to overcome.

In short, I believe that phenomena generators are much more appropriate in achieving the stated goals of the Upwell combat rebalance:

This means focusing on mechanics that provide players with choices and opportunities to display their skill, and that have effective counterplay available.

The GTFO module doesn’t offer nearly as much flexibility in gameplay options as a PGen could. PGens would not arbitrarily disrupt fights, but can still influence them in a powerful way if used correctly.

1 Like

Upwells still have to provide affordable storage.

I can park my Chimera worth a little over a billion in a 500 million isk POS and jump into an Epithal to do PI or covert ops to hack as site without leaving a ship floating in space with no pilot.

The Upwell option is to buy & fit a Fortizar for 20-25 Billion ISK which is not viable for solo / small corp in low level J-Space.

EDIT: I read a post which suggested a new module that would allow a cap to anchor (without pilot and not bump-able) on the outside of a Astahus … I would buy one even if it cost a biilion isk & used twice as much fuel as a clone bay.

4 Likes

I’m a wormholer … Can you hear me asking for a place in a C3 to park my Carrier. Something that does not cost 50 times it’s existing garage.

When the POS goes away it’s going to be a real pain collecting pi in a Chimera … although it wouldn’t be too bad confined to a space coffin if I could contract goods at a POCO.

1 Like

I understand that CCP doesn´t want to throw out asset safety, but how about moving this to a service or rig? So if you want your stuff to be save, fit your station for it. I think that would solve a few of those problems

1 Like

Since the beginning the game was also high ores in highsec, I didn’t hear any complaints when CCP threw that out the window because it was too much effort shipping it all to null for local industry. These things have to be a two way street. If null is going to be no longer interdependent on highsec miners, Highsec shouldn’t be as interdependent on null sec miners either.
Note however that it’s only the common moon ores. None of the really valuable ones are going to appear in highsec currently. And almost certainly in far lower quantities than in null. And that reactions still have their location limits.
Highsec is still going to have plenty of need for null moon goo.

1 Like

You mean, those people who can afford citadel swarms can’t afford a few hundred mil a week to keep a service running.

Or (more likely) who cares about fueling a 1 bil Astra when you have 30 of them surrounding a keepstar and anyone trying to reinforce anything is going to get blobbed off the field.

The fuel requirement change will only affect highsec citadels that were put up and deserted (overtime) and even that relies on a terribly broken (for purpose) wardec system. Lets pay for a wardec and spend a couple of days to kill an empty/deserted structure that might or might not drop something of value.

Nothing changes about nulsec citadel spam - In fact I believe it will only make single system spam worse.
One Keepstar, 5 Forts, 30 Athanors and a few dozen of whatever else - Who in game today could even consider attacking such a system?

Lowsec is in an even worse position - Find a deserted Citadel, form a fleet to reinforce it, get spotted by someone/anyone, visible to anyone timers means they know, within 4 hours (a bit of a joke in itself) know when to turn up with their blob, attacker turns up 2 days later for the kill, gets blobbed off field by any group (with as many 3rd parties as can be called on) looking for some content.
Sure it will create some content in the short term but eventually anyone prepared to kill something for no/minimal return will give up after being 3rd partied or simply blobbed a few times.

It really doesn’t matter what CCP does from here - They have created a sov/structure system that is not conquerable by less than a major blob. Moving TQ One step closer to Serenity.

1 Like

I understood that highsec wasn’t getting moon goo at all, just access to higher value ore types.

In simple words : You launch a decomission. Poeple can come whatever they want, shoot your shield, stop the decomission and blap your cita whenever they want…

So it is simple : you can’t make a decomission in wh space. Only if you camp your cita with an entire fleet 24/24 for 7 days…

1 Like

It’s going to be a random assortment of +15% ores from all areas of space with additional “common varieties of moongoo in lower quantities” (likely R4/R8) interspersed as well.