Devblog: Chat System - An Update & The Future!

Noted; we detailed our reasoning here https://www.eveonline.com/article/p4g5k3/preparing-for-the-future-retirement-of-eve-voice.

We are not seeing this happening now, not after the deployments on 8th and 16 Jan. When this happens the next time for you, please file a Bug Report. Then please ping us here in this thread with the EBR number.

We are not seeing this happening anymore. The next time this happens, please file a Bug Report and ping us here with the EBR number.

Yep, like I said earlier in the thread, same happens to me when Iā€™ve got 2 or 3 of my toons in the same systemā€¦ the difference in local populations reveals itself. And I canā€™t say I notice each and every time (like if Iā€™m flying through a pipe or something). But if Iā€™m idling in a system and the number is different on both toons (and it wasnā€™t from someone just jumping in/out or logging in/out or whatever), itā€™s noticeable.

Over the past year Iā€™ve primarily played in HS and WH, so it doesnā€™t matter for me as much as it does for peops in LS and NS (I feel for them) when people donā€™t show up in local, butā€¦ itā€™s a reminder that for the better part of nearly 11 months now, the chat system/channel pilot list has not been reliable.

And like Broadhead, btw, I havenā€™t bug reported it in awhile (I think I did at least once back in March/April 2018 when the chat system issues were rife and happened nearly every day, but I will begin reporting it going forward. I guess Iā€™ll report it on all toons in system, since Iā€™m not sure whether the person with the extra person/people showing in local or the person with people missing is the issue (either someone IN SYSTEM is missing from the list on one or more clientsā€¦ or someone was in system earlier and persists in the pilot list on one or more clientsā€¦ or both errors are possible, fun!).

Imagine if CCP actually had a community team who would engage with the playerbase and give updates as best as they could with both arms tied behind their backs and being blindfoldedā€¦oh wait they did and they still done better at it than since you guys fired them!
Never thought my opinion in recent times would get lower of you guys but you still manage it somehow.

1 Like

I mean, the main window I like to be on top of my stack is fleetchat, but since we donā€™t log in already in a fleet, thatā€™s not possible.

To me, itā€™s more of an irritation that the ORDER of the tabs in the stack do not always persist from one session to the next. I long ago gave up on trying to re-order them on all 3 of my main toons because they just wouldnā€™t stick. I think the whole shebang might have been related to the issue where the incursion channel (whether jumping into constellation or logging in already in an incursion constellation) wouldnā€™t even stay in a stack or stay the size/position youā€™d set it to back in the day. There were ways to fix that and all, but it required lots of jumping through hoops.

2 Likes

ā€œAs of the start of downtime on March 20thā€ means all toons that were omega at 1100 on March 20th. It doesnā€™t mean any time since, man.

If theyā€™d wanted to say omega any time since March 20th 2018, they would have said ā€œsinceā€ in that phrase or something that means the same thing. The ā€œstartā€ might be confusing you and some others, but they could have just said 1100 EVE time.

For instanceā€¦ ā€œall toons that have been omega at or since downtime of March 20th 2018, starting at the beginning of that downtime at 1100 EVE timeā€ or something along those lines. Edited to add: and to be frank, the above isnā€™t 100% crystal clear about whether you needed to be omega solidly or whether a single 30 days of omega during that time period would suffice, actually.

Not only could you not inform fleetmates of your disconnect like you can with an out of game service like Teamspeak, Mumble, Vent, Discord, etcā€¦ but I personally had issues with random disconnects from the in-game audio that I could NOT rejoin easily. Sometimes I had to use a 2nd toon in fleet to join audioā€¦ sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnā€™t. Sometimes the 2nd toonā€™s audio link to fleet would fail within 5-10 minutes and Iā€™d have to hope the 1st toon could reconnect to audio while trying to keep up with a fleet self-warping gate to gate through nullsec on a roam and hoping I didnā€™t fall behind or go to the wrong gate in the case that there was a path split with the desto showing two different yellow gates to parts of the fleet.

To all those who are complaining that the people suffering 9 months instead of 11 or something wonā€™t get compensatedā€¦

Let us not forget the fact that CCP already compensated us once before for the chat issues.

This is a mere follow up, regarding the entirety of the problem.

So people who experienced issues before, were already compensated. Now, this is directed towards the entire 11 months of issues and disruptions.

Iā€™m fine with this. All my accounts were compensated last year, and only 4 of my accounts will benefit from this compensation, but Iā€™m fine with this.

1 Like

Dont give me SP it costs CCP nothing to do this give us a free months sub

Maybe then you will start reacting to the problems instead of leaving them for Months

an MMO with Chat issues for months what a joke

You mean when they did exactly the same thing? https://www.eveonline.com/article/pcs4x8/login-database-and-chat-problems-the-war-continues

Here have a gift if you was around on the day the update was rolled outā€¦but a big ā– ā– ā– ā–  you to anyone who actually played and suffered during the 9 months that follows!

I appreciate giving sp based on a single day makes sense when the impact was limited to a single days play such as a long downtime or a crash or DDOS attacksā€¦but when it is 9-10 months of continual issues it makes absolutely no sense not to either give it to everyone or pro-rata it. This is an embarrassing way to compensate for the issue.

2 Likes

CCP actually going to comment on their awful decision not to reward both alpha pilots who had the same chat issues and those who joined after 20th March?

Why would you alienate new players who suffered the same issues? The game needs more players not less!

1 Like

Itā€™s laziness, a better solution would require more actual effort.

You dudes on the good way! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Iā€™m glad the chat system is working again. Iā€™ll survive with/without the SP. (the message is fairly ambiguous)

Thanks for getting us some stability!

Damn so many entitled snoā€¦capsuleers. Iā€™ll gladly take 500k SP.

1 Like

Weā€™ve isolated the cause of of the flushing bug, and weā€™re working on a fix.

1 Like

Any update on who gets the 500k sps? This isnā€™t clear as written.

1 Like

every account that held Omega clone status as of the start of daily downtime on March 20th, 2018

Itā€™s actually pretty clear. ā€œAs ofā€ doesnā€™t mean ā€œatā€. So every account that was or became Omega between March 20 and now should get the 500k SP on the caracter with the most skillpoints.

1 Like

In my over 10 years of playing Eve I have never posted a CCPlease. That changes today.

CCP, please let us choose the character to receive the compensatory skill points!

Absolutely right. No compensations to those who does not pay.