Devblog: Chat System - An Update & The Future!

Does any player who hasn’t paid for a single sub in almost a year deserve freebies? ( I appreciate some have only joined in the last few months)

It’s not that much for a months sub even using ISK to buy a plex and going Omega, I don’t think it’s too much to expect to have shown a little financial support for CCP now and then.

I see your reasoning but it was a handy back up ,and great for new player’s just starting out with no prior experience with 3rd party Chat services.

10 months of huge problems over a simple thing like a chat system hahaha my sides :joy:

And then a community that is mostly sated over a little sp and has some even saying stuff like good communication… :rofl: Truely this is the dumbest gaming community outside of star citizen.

Need to say i agree here. Fighting over 500k SP (1 week of training). Seriously???

1 Like

It’s about the gesture. CCP handing out some SP is them saying “We’re not going to give you any real compensation for a year of bugged chat.”.
CCP not giving even the few SP to players who had less than 10 months of buggy gameplay is them saying “■■■■ you, think twice before buying more omega time, because this is how we treat our customers.”.

3 Likes

I hope that is he case. If so, why not just say it that way?

And people are confused, scroll up.

As of means as of
" used to indicate the time or date from which something starts. "

at means at
“expressing the time when an event takes place.”

Why not use the redemption system so we can put it on a character of our choosing?

Now that is good news, much appreciated.

Okay, imagine talking about the invasion of a country. “As of 1800 on Friday our troops are going to march on Capital City and begin taking back blah blah country.”

In most cases, “as of” is used to mean the same thing as “at”. Yes, the invasion is beginning AT that time and continuing on afterwards. But speaking about the beginning of something? As of and at are the same thing in that case.

Quora says:

"Dana H. Shultz, Lawyer - speaking, writing and reading English for decades
Answered Oct 12, 2016 · Author has 9.6k answers and 9.4m answer views

Writing from the perspective of a lawyer, I agree with the first two answers that “as of” generally has a different meaning from that of “since”.

“As of” refers to a specific date or time and is roughly equivalent to “on”. Example: As of January 1. 2016, the president of the corporation was Jane Doe.

“Since” refers to a period beginning with a specific date or time and continuing to the present. Example: Since January 1, 2016, Jane Doe has been the president of the corporation" (end quote)

Proper coding requires accurate, complete, and unambiguous statements.
Proper communication requires accurate, complete, and unambiguous statements.

Seeing the nature of the problem here?

Personally, I have both alpha accounts and omega accounts. All of these accounts dealt with chat issues for months, however none of them happened to be Omega ‘as of’ the start of March 20, 2018 (which is the standard usage of ‘as of’, btw).

I’m not really concerned about 500k SP one way or the other. I do think perhaps CCP has misinterpreted their bonus payment goals with Pearl Abyss. The goal is not to actually annoy more players, produce more bugs, communicate less clearly, and reduce participation in events. Those things are all in the avoid these clauses.

1 Like

I see it differently.

Every person was affected differently by such bugs (for example):

• 0.0-sec “F1 Monkey” had it the hardest way
  • some low-sec small roamer was affected slightly less
  • some high-sec carebear might have not noticed it at all
  • me, personally, being on hiatus and logging once a week to maintain my SP farm had only 1-2 meets with it (when i decided to roam a little once in couple months).

So in theory every player should be compensated differently using hundreds of metrics (most of them are not calculable because based on feelings).

Keeping all this in mind CCP has basically three ways:

• not compensate at all
  • give some equal compensation to every player
  • try to select group of players to compensate

Now, nobody would like former.
Second option raises the question “why March rabbit should get the same compensation as say, Ludwig Frohlich?” (keeping in mind that we were affected differently and me was almost not affected and Ludwig might have had it hard way).

So the only option is to select group of player using some reason and give them something. And here we back to square one because not one method of selection and not one level of compensation would be accepted by community. Basically this is classical “damned if you do, damned if you don’t”.

If you have better approach present it and try to prove that this is right selection and right level of compensation. You will see it yourself.

No compensation for all would be fair.
Since there is no practical way to measure how much everybody was effected, giving everybody the same compensation would be fair.
Give compensation to some players and none to the rest is unfair.

And we’re talking about 500k SP, which cost CCP nothing. On the contrary, I bet there will players buying extractors to move the SP. IMHO, when the choice is 500k SP or no compensation at all, just go for no compensation. But whatever you do, be fair to your players.

Yes, I realize it’s just 500k SP we’re talking about, but I’m easily annoyed when situations are handled unfairly.

1 Like

here is my bug report @CCP_Explorer

EBR-172025
EBR-172026

also starting now i will file a bug every time it happens

Thanks; please do me a favour and contact Customer Support and go through the chat-specific network analysis with them. Then create a new bug report (referencing these two) with the results of that network analysis.

Thank you for the update

Why not make it redeemable on the account instead of the highest SP character. I have 3 characters on many accounts and they all get to cycle through training depending on their needs\purpose. The highest SP character is probably the last one I would need the SP for on many of them

I recon you benefited from the chat being broken and therefore should donate sp :wink:

That’s exactly what I was trying to convey about as of/at (or on) vs. since, thanks for the examples.

@CCP_Explorer there is a tool for that, so i can download it and run it like the eve-network-diagnostics?? because im mostly online at nights and i think there is no one in customer support at that times =) its like 2 am for you guys

with the eve-network-diagnostics i have now worked for testing the conection to eve when i was unable to login at all in any of the login services (web + client), but i think it doesnt test for the chat services.