Devblog: EVE 64-bit & DirectX 12

Maybe in DX 12 space won’t have atmosphere anymore? :roll_eyes:

Little sick of great skins being hosed by the shading in the atmosphere in space :rofl:

Your lack of sarcasm comprehension is disturbing.

The move to DX 12 and 64 bit is fantastic ! thanks CCP.

Will DX 12 only help us client side or will it have performance increases server side too?

Is their any news on the balancing side btw?

3 Likes

Sounds good! Just worried a bit on behalf of linux users. I don’t use linux myself but afaik if you had gone with Vulkan, it would be easier to play EVE on linux.

7 Likes

A 64bit client allows for more data flow and resource usage, if you can allow the engine to use more resources the program “game” can run through its instructions more efficiently. More efficient means more stable since the program has more opportunity to catch issues in its error handling instead of timing out due to unhandled exceptions and provide you the end user with a cleaner more optimized experience. Ray tracing is just a graphical feature of dx12 it’s not essiential to the functionality of a 64bit client. Raytracing is an art feature, 64bit client is an engine upgrade they are not the same.

3 Likes

LOL, how many others went to check their graphic cards specs straightaway? :thinking:

3 Likes

Hey CCP,

As an occasional Linux user myself who is seeking to go full time later on in the year, I’m concerned about the impact the DX12 engine upgrades will have on Linux users. As far as I’m aware, DXVK for Wine does not yet support DirectX 12, which means Linux users will more than likely be negatively impacted. How do you plan to address this issue?

The ideal solution would be a native Linux client with Vulkan support, but alas I don’t see that coming in the near future.

9 Likes

LUL, DX 12 is a fail. Coding stuff from DX 11 to 12 will make game slower not faster.
Only Vulkan.

3 Likes

with this new upgrade for us that have 3d tv or 4k tv does this mean eve will finally be able to make used of them formats?

Did you consider switching to vulkan instead of DX12? Would not that make more sense because DX12 is more of a windows locked API?

2 Likes

iirc Wine does support DX11, which will still be available

1 Like

Good! I have just upgraded my PC in time for this.

Any plans on dropping CPU’s that don’t support SSE4\SSE4.1 anytime soon?

1 Like

This is something we would like to look into :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Vulkan was considered during the initial investigation phases but ultimately we felt DirectX was the better path to follow.

4 Likes

gues better of doing 12 now then doing 11 and then 12 dx makes sence

We cant share any details at this point i’m afraid but we are already looking into solutions so rest assured this is on our radar.

6 Likes

are you aware that dx11 is and has been in eve for quite a while?

yes I use it

Attend Tuesdays mass test on Duality and help us profile!

5 Likes

Thanks for the reassurance, Vertex. It’s a start, at the very least.

2 Likes